Coin collecting...

Krom

Elite Member
With the scorching, humid weather up here lately, and giving no allowance to detect (well, I'm sure everyone's experiencing it too. We've all but destroyed our O-zone layer), I started up a new "from around the world" coin collection (yeah... I'm crazy with a slight Ebay infection  :lol:)...!
I'm gonna see how many "owl" coins I can collect. So far, I have 5 with 4 more in the mail headin' this way as we speak.
The hardest ones to get, that I can see, so far, are these ancient Greek coins (I don't want to settle for reproductions, tho'. I'd rather have all original stamps).
Here's 4 that I'd love to get, but it's probably never gonna happen, 'cause of their rarity (and, of course, price): (left-to-right)
ATTICA, Athens. 449 BC. AR Tetradrachm...
Athens Silver Didrachm Coin. Athena 460 B.C...
Athena of Athens Tetradrachm 449 B.C....
2100 year old ancient Greek silver. 360 BC...

(Is there anyone else out there that has a collection of specific coins?)

I'm gonna post this on Snowy & I's Maine MD site too. It's a good subject to share, don't cha think?

Attachments

• Owls.jpg
    Owls.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 264
Thats quite an exotic hobby.I am working on an international collection of silver coinage. I'll try to get some photos.

That's quite a wish list Krom.....and some very impressive coinage.
I have collected coins almost all my life, but nothing truly specific and certainly nothing as valuable as your wish list coins. Working in the retail business, I was exposed to a lot of coins and bought them up when I could. Even today, there are still some nice pieces going thru the registers. I posted a little while ago that I had been out MD'ing most of the day and came home with a handful of clad and cents.....my son comes home from work with a Walking Liberty half that went thru his register!!!!!! Go figure. Good Luck & HH.

P.S. If I happen to pop one of your Owl coins....I'll drop you a line before I put it on E-Bay :grin:

jrdavis119 said:
That's quite a wish list Krom.....and some very impressive coinage.
I have collected coins almost all my life, but nothing truly specific and certainly nothing as valuable as your wish list coins.  Working in the retail business, I was exposed to a lot of coins and bought them up when I could.  Even today, there are still some nice pieces going thru the registers.  I posted a little while ago that I had been out MD'ing most of the day and came home with a handful of clad and cents.....my son comes home from work with a Walking Liberty half that went thru his register!!!!!!  Go figure.  Good Luck & HH.
P.S.  If I happen to pop one of your Owl coins....I'll drop you a line before I put it on E-Bay  :grin:

'Preciate that "P.S.", JR., but I'm not gonna hold my breath for one of these Greek babies showin' up in your son's cash register, K? I'll die of lack of oxygen!  ;) :lol:
My wife also has quite a collection of coins of register finds. Gotta keep the eyes open for when kids dip into Dad's collection of rare coins... for that ice cream (or whatever) they so desperately need.  :lol:

Good way ta go, Scavenger. Silver is always a smart investment.  ;)

I don't think i've ever seen a coin with an owl on it before reading this post, kinda neat. If I pop any, i'll just send them your way...lol

HH as always,

Bri-

That's what I'm shootin' for, Bill. :lol: (Ooops... didn'tr mean to say "shootin'". Some of 'em are on the endangered list!)

Hey Brian... that sounds great to me. ;) <heh, heh!>

Voriax...
This is a modern-day Euro (though, the Ebay auction page I found it in had a list of European countries that use it, but Greece wasn't in that list), and there's a lot of European countries that have coins called Euros. I'm not sure which one this is from, but it does resemble the pictures I posted in the top post of this thread.
I don't care what the year of any of them are (tho', I'd like to get the older ones), I'd just like to have one of each of any I can find from any country.  :grin:
Funny... thery all seem to be facing the same way.
(I had a hard time thinking how to word these sentences. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.  :lol:)

Attachments

• Euro.jpg
    Euro.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 223
Do the owls ever face left? I notice most of our coins do, except Lincoln on the penny, and perhaps others.

I have no idea, Scavenger... and I also don't care... as long as they're owl coins. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom