Dilemma Open to Discussion

This would get their attention. And maybe soil their bathing suits.

I could just see trying to stuff all that in my dive float ALONG with the anchors and bombs I find! :laughing:

I would need a deluxe float. Then a kid could tell his dad, "Hey, look at that loose float, can we have it, can we have it?" :laughing:

And the captain would then look and say "Why yes! it looks abandoned!" And proceeds to bring his yacht in my space.

I really hope you're not seriously considering the paintball thing. A lot of different ways that could go in a very bad direction. A one-in-a-million shot could seriously hurt somebody. There might be a child on the boat. If there is , you are going to have one angry father on your hands. People snap. You might end up in a situation where you really have to stand your ground. And then, even if you were justified, a state attorney would be more than happy to prosecute you on grounds that you instigated the whole thing.. Pointing a gun at another boat might give the people in the other boat justification to stand their ground. The boat that you shoot at might have some really bad dudes on it but do not care about the law, and respond accordingly. You could get real unlucky and the boat might have off duty law enforcement on it. You would be screwed. If the people in the other boat record you shooting at them, you will probably get prosecuted for that. I know you would in Florida. You would be on the news also. Lawyers are not cheap. Good lawyers are really really not cheap. Good luck.

I really hope you're not seriously considering the paintball thing. A lot of different ways that could go in a very bad direction. A one-in-a-million shot could seriously hurt somebody. There might be a child on the boat. If there is , you are going to have one angry father on your hands. People snap. You might end up in a situation where you really have to stand your ground. And then, even if you were justified, a state attorney would be more than happy to prosecute you on grounds that you instigated the whole thing.. Pointing a gun at another boat might give the people in the other boat justification to stand their ground. The boat that you shoot at might have some really bad dudes on it but do not care about the law, and respond accordingly. You could get real unlucky and the boat might have off duty law enforcement on it. You would be screwed. If the people in the other boat record you shooting at them, you will probably get prosecuted for that. I know you would in Florida. You would be on the news also. Lawyers are not cheap. Good lawyers are really really not cheap. Good luck.

You are reading way too much into the situation. It was an idea shot down already by the marine patrol. Nobody would EVER see me pointing a gun at a boat although a boat coming at me at full speed might deserve a paintball to get their attention.

The LAW states if I FEEL my life is in danger I could neutralize the threat with lethal force. So the law would allow me to shoot the captain IF I felt the boat was going to kill me.

They have to stay 200' away from a dive flag. Even a 100 foot away isn't close enough to feel my life is in danger. 50' away and coming full speed POSSIBLY. That is why I was thinking paint ball to get their attention.

I have NO intention of putting a gun on my dive float.

And that is why I won't have a gun on my float. I heard a dinghy coming at me and stood up. It was already past but it was close enough that I could touch his prop trail. I was shaking like a leaf.

I can yell, I can yell into a megaphone. I can embarrass the cwap out of a rich person with no clues as to the boating rules.

My new idea is a spear gun with a bang stick!! For folks that have no clue what that is. It is a head with a 12 gauge shotgun shell in it. When the head hits something hard it pushes the shell into the firing pin which sets it off. I could fire it at the water line and sink a boat!! Then I would have something to dive on. A win win for me!

The LAW states if I FEEL my life is in danger I could neutralize the threat with lethal force. So the law would allow me to shoot the captain IF I felt the boat was going to kill me.

Maybe the boat was going to kill you , maybe it was going to just be a near miss because somebody made a mistake. In most circumstances if you had time to grab a gun and fire off a shot or two then you likely had time to get out of the way or some other course of action. You just never know for sure in a situation like that. Too many things to consider.

Sometimes we feel our life is in danger but afterwards we realize we might have been overreacting. If we were to act on that feeling then atleast two lives were in danger , or worse. It could be said that atleast you protected yourself and you are still alive , but maybe some kids lost their dad or a wife lost her husband or some parents lost their kid. I know in many places even if someone breaks into your house , according to the law if you shoot him you better be sure he had a weapon in his hand and your life was truly in imminent danger or you may live to really regret your action. I am not necessarily talking right or wrong here , just the law.

Maybe the boat was going to kill you , maybe it was going to just be a near miss because somebody made a mistake. In most circumstances if you had time to grab a gun and fire off a shot or two then you likely had time to get out of the way or some other course of action. You just never know for sure in a situation like that. Too many things to consider.

Sometimes we feel our life is in danger but afterwards we realize we might have been overreacting. If we were to act on that feeling then atleast two lives were in danger , or worse. It could be said that atleast you protected yourself and you are still alive , but maybe some kids lost their dad or a wife lost her husband or some parents lost their kid. I know in many places even if someone breaks into your house , according to the law if you shoot him you better be sure he had a weapon in his hand and your life was truly in imminent danger or you may live to really regret your action. I am not necessarily talking right or wrong here , just the law.

Actually not true. Impossible to move fast in the water and if you are that shallow impossible to dive under it. And NO, Michigan law clearly states when you fear for your life, the aggressor doesn't need to have a weapon.

HOWEVER, The MAJOR problem is the boat captain doesn't have any INTENT to run anyone over. They are just ignorant of the law. (Which is supposed to be no excuse)

So even though I might fear for my life, it is only because of a drunk or stupid captain.

And what good would shooting him be anyway. They don't have their foot on the gas and it will go off when they get shot. The throttle lever would still be fully forward and that would not neutralize the threat.

As I said, this is all just an interesting dilemma and folks gave me some good suggestions. My gun will stay in my truck or boat when I dive. I won't be anywhere near it.

I also was a cop and I enjoy my freedom!! I have NO intention of doing anything that would ever get me cuffed and stuffed.

Not quiet the same danger but during the summer in some spots I hunt I get alot of rich kids running up and down the shore on jet skis. Legally they have to stay 100 yards off the beach, these idiots are running maybe 10 yards off shore. I am tempted to start throwing rocks at them, and if the police ever got involved if I actually hit someone I would just ask them "Do you think i can throw a rock 100 yards?"

Back
Top Bottom