Just a rant...

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
I try to keep up with the news by listening to talk radio while at work, so I just use the Iheartradio app and have it tuned to a local station. Been doing this for years, and they have been slowly modifying and upgrading the app for new IOS releases etc.

Well, they finally did it. They now require a login. Something people listen to everyday for free in their cars, needs a login on a phone. Screw it, deleted. Luckily my local station has their own free-no login app now. Track that, you bastages!

So tired of having to give people personal info like my email address etc, so they can solicit me. I already have to listen to their advertisers, isn't that enough?

Some sites these days, have a little checkbox, just down the scree far enough that you need to scroll to see it. If you leave it checked, you agree to allow them, and a few 'partners', to send you offers.

"Free" apps, aren't really free, since they mine your device for information that can be used or sold. It's not just you getting spammed, it's all the people you've had contact with.

Some sites these days, have a little checkbox, just down the scree far enough that you need to scroll to see it. If you leave it checked, you agree to allow them, and a few 'partners', to send you offers.

"Free" apps, aren't really free, since they mine your device for information that can be used or sold. It's not just you getting spammed, it's all the people you've had contact with.

Oh nice, I knew they were parasites but now we've narrowed it down to leeches. Perfect!

Yea , I probably miss a lot of information and enjoyment that could be aquired through the internet from different site's because as soon as they start asking for email info , names and stuff , I X out of it and end up back here . :laughing:

I rarely keep my Nexus 10 wi-fi turned on. I prefer paid apps, or free apps that let you pay to not receive ads. Unfortunately, one of my board game apps, Roll For It, only exists as a free app, and they want to display ads. So, if my wi-fi is not on, they can't serve ads, so they don't let me play the game either.

I dropped XM/Sirius after they redesigned the app for PCs, and no longer had the tiny display version I could keep in an unused corner. Maybe the new one looked "prettier" on the phone, but I don't have a smart phone. I guess I'm just not in their target demographic anymore.

I get that not everything is free. But, there should be a price that is not "eat your spam and like it".

-- Tom

I already have to listen to their advertisers, isn't that enough?

No. phone apps are designed for one sole reason - to collect data on the user to repackage and sell to third parties. Even Microsoft jumped on the wagon and has gone from designing operating systems to creating Windows 10 - the largest data collection app yet. That is why the OS is free. They will make their money back and then some with the data collected.

If an app's privacy statement says they don't sell their data, it is only because they haven't finalized the business plan.

I wonder how long till I Heart and the others require a login when using a home PC?

On a related note, I see many of the online newspapers are dumping their paywalls. Seems it isn't working out for them and they're losing online readers.

No. phone apps are designed for one sole reason - to collect data on the user to repackage and sell to third parties. Even Microsoft jumped on the wagon and has gone from designing operating systems to creating Windows 10 - the largest data collection app yet. That is why the OS is free. They will make their money back and then some with the data collected.

If an app's privacy statement says they don't sell their data, it is only because they haven't finalized the business plan.

It's coming soon. They'll need an email, drivers license and social security number, bank account with credit cards tied into it, phone number for authentication purposes of course, and access to your medical records to see just how much your worth and how long the have left to profit off your info.

Two words describe this
"Big Brother"
And I do not mean the government.

What do you suppose they are doing with the information received from all of these mindless idiots playing Pokemon???
Hundreds, thousands, or actually MILLIONS of people agreeing to privvacy statements and the company just sucks up all of their information 24/7.

I guess this qualifies as a rant, but it is TRUE.

Lots of good podcasts and live streaming radio out there with no signup, just depends on your politic leanings. Note: this is not a politcal post, just a mention...

Just the other day I wanted to make a junk Yahoo account to deal with various online stuff. Couldn't make one anymore because they required you to enter your cell number so they could send a "confirmation" text to you.

They are still trying to get to me enter an cell number into the account I have used for the last 16 years or so. Not going to do it! If they force me, I will just delete the account.

The scariest part is all the drones of people that just willingly give up any info deemed "needed" to sign up for anything nowadays. I remember 20 years ago people wanted and needed to protect personal information to prevent fraud, identity theft, and other things from occuring. Now most just dish it out, like it's last nights leftovers. And kids are even worse, even mine. They have no idea how this stuff can be used to track them and their routine activities, because they didn't grow up around the identity theft days of yesteryear.

I often have to track my ex, and try to keep tabs on what she is up to because she is on court ordered "supervised visitation" restrictions due to past illicit activities. Hell, she hasn't even come to see her kids in 4 years, but that hasn't stopped her from trying to communicate direct to them through email or youtube or other internet means. And of course anytime she attempts to communicate with them (and of course relays that it's all my fault she hasn't seen them, and I'm keeping them from her, blah-blah-blah), I'm able to intercept those messages because I monitor my kids activities online.

My son actually came to me the other night and told me she (my ex) subscribed to his youtube channel and he freaked and tried to delete it and start a new one. Well, no doubt, he had linked all his accounts together so even deleting and creating a new one just linked right to it from his other accounts.

I'm glad we have a line of open communication in our house, and he knows he can come to me about anything (and not fear punishment for just making unintentional mistakes). But no joke if it didn't take us about 3 hours that night going through his accounts, deleting everything as best we could, talking a little more about internet safety and what's appropriate to post, and then creating new accounts so he can still enjoy the internet interaction mostly anonymously without having all those accounts linked and spewing personal info from one to the other all over the web.

I have a few junk email accounts set up just for the purpose of scammers and solicitors. Have totally bogus info in them and it's just a place I can use to send the garbage to. Don't even check it unless I need to confirm something.

The scariest part is all the drones of people that just willingly give up any info deemed "needed" to sign up for anything nowadays.

The most expensive things in the world are "Free stuff". People think it is great that gmail, facebook, twitter, etc are all free. Yet, they don't understand the true cost of using the product.

Their soul! :laughing:

Close enough. I have read too articles about people who post too much on facebook and don't lock their account down. They post pictures of their house, they post what part of the city they live in, and then they post that they are going on vacation - and can't understand why all of their stuff is gone when they get back...

Close enough. I have read too articles about people who post too much on facebook and don't lock their account down. They post pictures of their house, they post what part of the city they live in, and then they post that they are going on vacation - and can't understand why all of their stuff is gone when they get back...

Good point, you should have your account limited to viewing by those on your friends list only and not open to the general public, and then you need to choose your friends carefully :laughing:

(even then don't post ahead of time if you're planning a vacation, wait till you're back home to tell them about it as even though you trust your friends, you don't know if they might innocently share it with someone who might not be trustworthy)

Back
Top Bottom