San Francisco / East bay / Looking for More

Boombaby!

Hello all, Joined the forum yesterday in Hopes to find others in the area. I'm a Newbie.. Got a Bounty Hunter elite 2200 and its a Blast, Been to a local park. Lots of 70's change, a 33.5g silver bar, and a 46 Wheat Penny. Around my home a bit (built 1919). Maybe got 5 hours under my belt. I dont have a pin pointer or headphones and my Plugs are even more atrocious then my shovel. But HEY ITS A START =) Anyways I live in a quaint dist of Oakland with a rich history. I have a few parks that i don't believe have been detected and old school yards (100 years +). I also Have permission from local land owners to detect dirt lots, and homes in the area. It would be great to share this with a few, maybe meet some buddies, and knock out some of this ground. So if your in the SF bay area, especially Oakland, or east bay... And can handle my newbness then drop me a line and lets connect

Looking to start now, not 2 weekends, next month. ASAP

Ty

welcome from Salinas, CA. You are about half way between these two clubs:

Concord:

http://www.metaldetectingclubs.org/california/mt-diablo-metal-detecting-club/

Or San Jose:

http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/treasurehunters.html

All the parks and schools in the older parts of the east bay have been hit. Of course "no one gets it all", but ....... on the other hand, they're not virgin :) The ones that have probably been the least pressured, are the ones in the more blighted areas of the East bay. Because those tend to be the junkiest . And they can be a veritable carpet of wino caps, tabs, zinc, foil, etc.... which would mask the deeper oldies. Which is sort of ironic, because the oldest parts of Oakland tend to be today's blighted districts. Ie.: "urban flight" to the suburbs left the inner cities (and the oldest parks) to become the "bad-side of the tracks". Doh!

I've worked 2 different park tearout scrapes in Oakland (during renovations/construction) and done very well. But as for regular turf hunting, I prefer Alameda's parks, since that is upscale area, yet very old at the same time. Parks much cleaner. Gotten silver from those parks, but they've been hit hard though.

Also get on the California kinzli forum. Several SF bay area hunters chime in there.

Welcome to the forum from Merced Calif...

TY!

welcome from Salinas, CA. You are about half way between these two clubs:

Concord:

http://www.metaldetectingclubs.org/california/mt-diablo-metal-detecting-club/

Or San Jose:

http://waipahuhaole1.tripod.com/treasurehunters.html

All the parks and schools in the older parts of the east bay have been hit. Of course "no one gets it all", but ....... on the other hand, they're not virgin :) The ones that have probably been the least pressured, are the ones in the more blighted areas of the East bay. Because those tend to be the junkiest . And they can be a veritable carpet of wino caps, tabs, zinc, foil, etc.... which would mask the deeper oldies. Which is sort of ironic, because the oldest parts of Oakland tend to be today's blighted districts. Ie.: "urban flight" to the suburbs left the inner cities (and the oldest parks) to become the "bad-side of the tracks". Doh!

I've worked 2 different park tearout scrapes in Oakland (during renovations/construction) and done very well. But as for regular turf hunting, I prefer Alameda's parks, since that is upscale area, yet very old at the same time. Parks much cleaner. Gotten silver from those parks, but they've been hit hard though.

Also get on the California kinzli forum. Several SF bay area hunters chime in there.

Wow! thanks for all the Info Tom! I really do feel parts of my area have been over looked. I don't want to say much but would like to talk more with those interested in pm. Lots of junk yes but also lots of signs this area hasn't been worked much if at all in some spots. I've found things that I don't believe would have been over looked if properly scanned before. They just tore up a large section of the park that used to as well be a 1800's homestead but construction zone is heavily gated off =(.. But my grandfather said, If there is a will there is a way. Would really like to see what could be done with some better equipment.

.... lots of signs this area hasn't been worked much if at all in some spots. I've found things that I don't believe would have been over looked if properly scanned before. ...

Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because you can find prolific amounts of clad, that therefore "no one's worked this park". Because the hardcore hunters DETEST clad. They will purposefully pass it up (all shallow signals) and concentrate strictly on oldies/deepies. Sure that means that if shallow clad and tabs are masking deeper ones, that they'd miss those. Granted. But most of the are not into "strip-mining" the turf (especially if blighted and junky), just to eventually find deeper stuff beneath that. I can think of parks where the ratio of modern versus eventual oldies doing that, would be 100 to 1. You'd probably get kicked out of the park for too many holes.

Unless I'm mis-interpretting what you're saying, and something else you're finding is leading you to believe that your parks haven't been hit ? Have you found easy 4-star-signal oldies or something ?

Go to the Concord meeting, and try to meet "Gary" . He's a long-time Oakland/east bay area hunter, since the 1970s. Tell him the parks you have in mind, and he can tell you first-hand the past history of md'ing pressure at various parts of the city, various parks, etc.. And while talking to him, let him regale you with some mouthwatering stories of past park turf tractor scrapes !! Tell him that Tom in Salinas says "hi" :)

If you want to PM me for more info, go ahead. Perhaps I know which parks you're thinking of that you're thinking got no md'ing pressure.

I went to a baseball field near the convention center next to hwy80?
I went to a park with a victorian house in the middle which is used for various things. (some guy in a car drove onto the grass and spun a few donuts)!:shock: I kept close to some big trees in case he drifted over near me!
That was about it,they seem to be pretty coinless in the center of town?

Hello "Boombaby" !
I'm out in Tracy , CA. however would be willing to come out your way. Sounds like you're in Piedmont ? I was born in Oakland and lived in the Diamond District .

There are places there I'd love to detect , however there's a lot of areas I'd definitely steer clear of ......... I have 2 White detectors ( Di 6000 Pro + Classic SL ) I've also recently purchased a White's TRX that I haven't even used yet !
I'm semi-retired and can come on a weekday when places are not too crowded.

I think it would also be required that we stop at FENTON'S Ice Cream too ! ! !

Drop me an email or message here and I can give you my info ...
Best Always , Kevin Maloy

welcome Boombaby!
I have been hitting the Oakland parks hard for several years now, this summer I have been trying to let them restock with more goodies, took the summer off and would love to hunt with someone. I have an extra pin pointer and other extra stuff that I have picked up along this hobby. I will be working the next 5-6 days straight but If you would like to get out after that just pm me. This is a great hobby, as said above, no one gets it all! best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom