UPDATE: Gold Ruby Heart with diamonds set in 10K. PLUS A SILVER CHAIN!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Last night, I told my son I was going out to find some gold. Nailed it. :)

Went to a popular park, just 2 miles from my house. It's one I hit regularly to catch the finds before the other detectorists in the area do.

Summer is a good time for drops, as this part is a hot spot for parents with kids (it's got a water feature and HUGE play equipment area (sadly, it's rubber floor, not bark). The grass usually yields some fun, with jewelry drops and a regular amount of change.

Lately, the detectorists have been clearing out the "Friday movie night at the park" on Saturday morning, as early as 1am... so I skip out on the detecting of that, and focus instead on the drops around trees.

It's paid off pretty well over the last two years. Yesterday, was no different.

Started off with the random gum wrappers, bottle caps, and a bunch of dimes... and then hit the broken necklace. It's not gold. Wish it was at 17 grams, but it failed the 10K scratch test.

EDIT UPDATE: WHoops! I was so focused on Gold that I never checked it for Silver. As I was about to toss it today, I thought "this really is heavier than it ought to be, Too bad it wasn't white gold. Wait-a-second. Wonder if it's silver?" Spit test and acid test both say it is! (there was no clasp end wit the stamp) Shiny silver at 17 grams. :)

After doing some random rounds out in one of the big fields (just a spot check, finding nothing), on the way back to the truck, I took the long route (always planned), to hit a grassy area by the swings.

That's where I struck gold. Just a strong little signal, I think 47-51. Enough to drop and pick up whatever "trash" was causing it. Gold ring sitting just under the grass blades.

I picked it up and dropped it in the pouch without looking at it, as there were plenty of lookie-loos. I made my way around to all of them (the lookie-loos), and casually brought up conversation to see if any would claim they lost anything. Nope.

I'll watch the classifieds, but I'm not expectant.

The ring is actually BRAND-NEW, though. My made-up story is that a young man bought it for his girlfriend and didn't know her finger size. It slipped off the first week she was wearing it. She's now horrified to tell him it's lost, and he thinks he's going to get married to this gal, someday. Later this week, she'll confess the loss, and he'll get so angry, they won't talk for 2 days. Then she'll realize what a loser he is, and be glad the ring is lost, and never even look for it, or post a lost and found ad.

Anyway, that's what I think is happening. LOL

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_1674.jpg
    IMG_1674.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Skippy! Amazing! I swear I could never find gold on land...You are one of the best on land for sure with the yellow!

Skippy! Amazing! I swear I could never find gold on land...You are one of the best on land for sure with the yellow!

Thanks, OBN,

Lately, it's been a lot of surface finds. I think I've narrowed the "where lost" locations down pretty well. My find rate per hour is definitely better this year, than ever before. Something is going right! :)

What are you up to lifetime, btw. Clear 1000 yet?

You are truly an expert in your field.
Well any field really, when it comes to jewelry:D

Mostly my fields. I've had to grid fields, to figure out where the "hot spots" are.

I've discovered some very strange hot spots over time, though. Sometimes I can figure them out (such as if there are tent pole holes still in the ground), and other times I simply have no clue why a big square field will have a hot spot in the back left corner...

It's nice to detect some of my parks on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, though. it really helps me understand the way people think and how they lose jewelry. The finds tell a lot about what's going on, regularly.

Back
Top Bottom