What was your first detector?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
How long did you use it? And what were your best finds?

Mine was a Fisher Gold Bug used to locate buckshot in streams which in turn told us were to dig the gravel for gold. Buckshot is a good indicator of likely places that gold will be hiding. That was a very good machine for what it was designed.

next came a Garret Master Hunter ADS II. It was a pretty good machine, but I really didn't know much about the art and science of metal detecting to use it properly. Next came the Fisher ID Edge. Still didn't know much about the art and science of metal detecting.

Back then I was thinking that the technology in the machine would magically do all the work for me. Next came the AT Pro and finally the Nox 800. The Nox 800 gave me a real good lessons. You must learn about the science and art of metal detecting no matter what model detector you have.

You learn that by seeking out knowledge on these MD forums and watching some of the better youtube videos and get out there and putting that knowledge to practice which is the ONLY place you really learn.

The AT Pro is probably the best machine for the total newbie who wants a real good detector at a decent price. It has all the basic features you need and is easier to learn than a more complicated Minelab detector.

Last edited:
Only been detecting for month with a 100$ Craigslist special bounty hunter. Found IHPs, a silver coin (1801) few civil war relics and a gold ring are my best finds so far, looking forward to more experience and a better machine but I’m finding anyway[emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in 1996 I bought a Fisher gold-bug. I moved from Arizona to Ohio shortly after that and sold it.

In 1975 or '76, got a used Whites 66TR. That's a circa 1972 to '74-ish all-metal TR machine. Used it for about a year. Just hit the obvious yards of homes, & school yards. Didn't have the sense to try any place exotic. And was limited to wherever my Schwinn stringray bike would take me, haha

Found the usual clad, lots of wheaties , some silver washingtons, silver roosies, a smattering of buffalos, etc... Never really got any super old coins. 1920s would have elated the heck out of me. The machine only went about 4" deep, and had no form of discrimination, other than to innately pass small iron.

In 1975 or '76, got a used Whites 66TR. That's a circa 1972 to '74-ish all-metal TR machine. Used it for about a year. Just hit the obvious yards of homes, & school yards. Didn't have the sense to try any place exotic. And was limited to wherever my Schwinn stringray bike would take me, haha

Found the usual clad, lots of wheaties , some silver washingtons, silver roosies, a smattering of buffalos, etc... Never really got any super old coins. 1920s would have elated the heck out of me. The machine only went about 4" deep, and had no form of discrimination, other than to innately pass small iron.
Did you have the chopper forks up front and the sissy bar on the rear ? Lol...

As a kid in the 60's I saved my money ($40) and unfortunately didn't know there was anything but Radio Shack. It "worked" I used it for maybe 3 or 4 years and later found whites and fishers.

My first was a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, tons and tons of clad! And my first IHP was found with it

Ace 350. I quickly upgraded, but did find enough silver coins to get addicted. I found this forum soon after. Was quickly welcomed and I've been fortunate to love the hobby and the help I found here. I now feel like a regular!

My first detector was bought in 1983 and was a Garrett but I don't remember the model name. It was a simple TR machine that had a meter with a needle that said either "BAD" or "GOOD" and a very uncomfortable "J" design which killed your wrist in no time. You could set the detector to disc out bottlecaps or pull tabs. It had a switch on the handle and I don't even remember what it was for. Very little depth and I remember that my first find was a nickel. Never found much with it except some VERY shallow clad but that was enough to get me hooked. I had it for a few months and then upgraded to a White's 6000di. I found silver coins and jewelry with that detector as soon as I started using it.

My first detector was a Jetco, I believe it was the Huntmaster or something like that. It was the top of the line back then. A few years later I found a Fisher 555 in a pawn shop. It was my first real detector. I took it down to Tulsa to the area distributor and had it checked out and converted to a hipmount. I wish I still had it.

First detector

Back when I was 10 or so my Dad got me a detector from Edmund's Scientific. It had no discrimination and only sensitivity and volume controls. I used it for years. I actually found what was left of a flintlock pistol but mostly nails and junk. I still have it in my basement. I currently use an Equinox and have yet to top finding that old pistol. That just shows ya what happens when you dig everything. :lol:

Still with my first detector a Garrett ATPro. Seriously thinking about an Equinox 800 for my next one.

Also had a Mustang I inherited from my Grandfather in the 70's. Was only about 6 or 7 at the time and would check the tailing from the old copper mines and find pieces of copper and RR spikes.

I'm so old , it was before detectors even came out ! As a child , 2 dowsing rods held in each hand. When they crossed , it was time to dig. Not very good at pinpointing and my holes were very large !

Back
Top Bottom