I Don't Think It Is Possible To Metal Detect An Area Clean

Bamahound

I have been searching an old school yard for the last couple of months and I have had some really good finds there, but lately it has been slim pickings. Today, I decided that I would spend sometime over at the "Honey Hole" and to my surprise I found a 1946 nickel, 1954 Wheat and a small sterling silver ring. I have gone over this area numerous times and finding this stuff today just proves at least to me, that you can't hunt out an area....
Anybody had this happen to them.

For a fact, I've re-hunted and found some keepers that I missed.

If you keep hitting a location and hitting a location, you are bound to hunt it out, unless people continue to add targets. :D

I'm going to plant some clad just to taunt you! :D

yes, different soil conditions seem to produce different results. i've hunted an area many times and just when i think its done giving up the goods i'll return after a good soaking rain or in the spring and it still gives something up.

I have been searching an old school yard for the last couple of months and I have had some really good finds there, but lately it has been slim pickings. Today, I decided that I would spend sometime over at the "Honey Hole" and to my surprise I found a 1946 nickel, 1954 Wheat and a small sterling silver ring. I have gone over this area numerous times and finding this stuff today just proves at least to me, that you can't hunt out an area....
Anybody had this happen to them.

It depends on your definition of "cleaned out" and the size of the area. If I have to hunt a restricted spot for tons of hours, time and time again, to find a surprise, I basically call that cleaned out. Just me I guess. martin

yup there is a school in town, and everyone that detects, says "I hunted that place out". last year I dug a 2 IH, and 2 ss rings, and a merc

another hunter said he found a trime and a gold ring so its never hunted out

Good to see you posting again and glad to hear you're still finding stuff in a seemingly hunted out "Honey Hole". I've started going back to some of my, I thought, hunted out CW spots and I'm still coming up with buckles and bullets. I don't think any place can truly be totally hunted out, but that's just me. Hope you and your family are well. Congrats on your finds and as always HH!!!

Oh yeah. There's a park near me from the late 1800's. when I first started detecting I went there 2-3 times and found nothing. Was told it was very hunted out. Out of boredom and lack of prospects, I went back last fall and in two short hunts I found a barber quarter, two barber dimes, two older Mercs and a Canadian large cent. Never hunted out.

There is the "law of diminishing returns!" which suggests that in the course of time the reward is not matched by effort! I think that this philosophy is true, however just because there appears to be few if any signals, it doesn't necessarily mean nothing is there? They may just be out of reach? Farmers occasionally deep plough and this will bring hidden objects closer to the surface! Or you may just have a machine which doesn't have the depth capabilties?

I have hunted parks that i thought i got everything but with a little tweaking of your disc.a hunted out area that you thought was hunted out now becomes brand new again.

Diminishing returns...certainly, hunted out...probably not. Take into consideration how it would be almost impossible to cover EVERY square inch of an area and then remember a target like a dime only takes up 1 square inch. On top of that, think about all the remaining targets that are being masked out. How many targets might be found if you dug everything to remove the iron and pulltabs?...probably quite a few but most of us won't do that. Then one more thing to consider if you live in a freeze area, will frost and ground upheaval sometimes move a target, that was out of depth range previously, enough that you might detect it next time?

I think it's possible to hunt out and area if it isn't too big. I have two areas both the size of a half a football field and they are cleaned out completely. I moved logs pruned briers and lifted rocks. The only reason I did that was since both sites yielded over 30 coins each from the 17 and 1800's. I probably spent in total about 50 hours at each of those sites though.

Back
Top Bottom