So Disappointed in MO

For sure the heat is a deterrent this time of year, nothing worst than sweating and batting the bugs away.

I'd like to make a point about Ag. fields that separates the northern portion of our country and the southern Ag. fields of the south.
Its obvious that the northern states were colonized and developed before the southern states, thus longer time for early drops does give us northerners an advantage. Tom is so jealous.... ;)

Here's the difference between the northern states and southern states Ag. fields in MY opinion.

The northern fields have been worked by land owners and land owner hired labor (free people with coins and valuables in their pockets) and the southern fields have been worked by mostly slave labor :mad: that had little to any real money to lose.
This is my theory for the lack of valuable field drops in the south compared to the north.

Good luck to everyone and be careful in the heat.

Good post ! I too have heard the same rationales for the fumble-finger coin-loss demographics, north vs south. The NE parks (camps, fields, etc...) are better for coin-shooters than SE zones of similar usage/era.

I used to live just north of Houston and a Massachusetts summer is child’s play. I know what you mean about the hunting buddies, no one out there wants to play, allllllll talk!!

I used to live just north of Houston and a Massachusetts summer is child’s play. I know what you mean about the hunting buddies, no one out there wants to play, allllllll talk!!

Bob, welcome to the forum, and I dont mean to hijack this thread, but if you ever are up for a hunt, I hunt in Worcester frequently, and all the surrounding towns. PM me if you ever want to meet up!

So, last week my family drove from NY to Missouri to visit friends on their farm. The farm is from the 1860's and they own 45 acres, so plenty of space to hit and there must be at least one relic or coin to be found. Despite the bleak the targets in endless hayfields, the heat was probably the one thing that really put a damper on my drive to detect. There's hot, then there's "Mid-West Hot"...OMG.

Sadly there was nothing to be found on their property in the hours I put in other than rotting iron horse tackle. I did try hunting the woods around their house that bordered a creek, again nothing other than 1 Lone Star Tick crawling up my pants (of which cause the victim to have allergic reactions to red meat...yikes!). Another reason, despite the heat, to always wear long pants if in the woods.

There were abandoned old houses in the area, but no posted signs...so since I'm not one for poaching I didn't risk hitting the yards...and God were these amazing abandoned old houses just sitting there in the middle of nowhere asking to be detected. Our friends said that despite the absence of posted signs, trespassing will get you shot, so another reason to just pass on poaching. There are definitely a lot of opportunities in the western rural towns outside St. Louis...but without knowing anyone or being able to identify property owners to ask permission, it's pretty tough.

I suppose the biggest disappointment was the lack of response on this forum to meeting up with someone while out in the St. Louis area...not one person was interested in hooking up, I was bummed.

We don't call it "The Great State of Misery" for nothing...lol

We don't call it "The Great State of Misery" for nothing...lol

Yep that's the correct pronunciation. This part of the country has the worst of both summer and winter. Look at the weather maps and you'll see the high heat/humidity come up here in the summer and the extreme cold dip down here in the winter. I hate this part of the country and can't wait to move back to the coast.

Back
Top Bottom