lotsa' pennies

dvendt

:viking:I have my cut out for me. Yesterday my mother-in-law gave me an old tabbaco tin full of wheat pennies. Started going through them an so far the oldest is 1909 and the newest is 1955 and 5 1943 steel pennies but have not found the elusive 1944 yet and I didn't even turn on my Garrett or get my finger nails.
Dave

that was nice of her!

When my dad passed away, I inherited what was left of his coin collection...he had at one time a St. Gaudin's $20 gold piece and 100 silver dollars, mixed Morgans and Peace dollars, but all that stuff got stolen a couple years before his death. I wound up with 10 rolls of circulated wheat pennies and several silver commemerative halves....one 1893 Columbia Exposition and 3 Arkansas centennial coins....one with the Indian design and two Joe T. Robinson designs, all pulled from circulation by him when he worked at the bank in Hot Springs National Park. The wheaties he had rolled and labeled...1909 to 1919, 1920 to 1929, etc. Has his handwriting on the paper rolls, so I will never unroll them and look at them....means too much to me to see his writing.

But it is great to inherit coins. I have a few I started after he passed..his 1902 birthday set, my b-day set 1949, my wife's 1953 and my son's 1989. Plus I bought a number of silver proof sets during the 50 state quarter run. Bought a few gold $5 coins off ebay back when gold was $350 an ounce...shoulda bought a LOT more! LOL Also got a few silver eagles dated 1999, 2000, 2001 cause I liked the change of the millenium! :lol::lol:

that was nice of her!

When my dad passed away, I inherited what was left of his coin collection...he had at one time a St. Gaudin's $20 gold piece and 100 silver dollars, mixed Morgans and Peace dollars, but all that stuff got stolen a couple years before his death. I wound up with 10 rolls of circulated wheat pennies and several silver commemerative halves....one 1893 Columbia Exposition and 3 Arkansas centennial coins....one with the Indian design and two Joe T. Robinson designs, all pulled from circulation by him when he worked at the bank in Hot Springs National Park. The wheaties he had rolled and labeled...1909 to 1919, 1920 to 1929, etc. Has his handwriting on the paper rolls, so I will never unroll them and look at them....means too much to me to see his writing.

But it is great to inherit coins. I have a few I started after he passed..his 1902 birthday set, my b-day set 1949, my wife's 1953 and my son's 1989. Plus I bought a number of silver proof sets during the 50 state quarter run. Bought a few gold $5 coins off ebay back when gold was $350 an ounce...shoulda bought a LOT more! LOL Also got a few silver eagles dated 1999, 2000, 2001 cause I liked the change of the millenium! :lol::lol:

Newbie, that's a shame someone stole the coins. I agree that's it's nice to get a batch of coins from loved ones. It's cool that you're keeping the rolled pennies as a memento. Curt

:oldguy:To the best of my knowledge there is nothing scarce or rare about the 1944 Lincoln "wheat" cent.:tiphat:

Yep, I've found at least 10 or more 1944s. They seem to be the most common. I think he meant to say 1943 copper penny. Now THAT'd be worth a buttload.

wheat pennies

We hunt for those wheeties and get so happy when we find them.. Then finally after several years realize you have 5 thousand wheat pennies and sell them for 3 cents each.. All of a sudden they are not special anymore.. Then you look at the good dates you kept and the hunt goes on again..Must be an addiction.. Happy hunting

wheaties

No the '44 copper isn't rare. It's the '44 steel that is. there was only a few made, they figure the mint ran some steels as test peices before they started up again with the copper. I read an article on the net where one '44 steel was auctioned and sold for $4 million+ :viking:

My favorite hunting site is a park that wa a housing development during WWII. Most of my wheats that I find are in the 40"s and I think most of them are 44's.

With all the "Wheat" pennies out there, what are collectors doing with them? It's really not worth trying to sell them?

Some of the old wheats fetch good money.....we all know about the 1909S VDB, but even a 1909S goes for over $100 in just G-4 condition. Wheaties like the 1914D, 1922 (plain), and 1931S all can fetch prices in the triple digits. Wheaties in VG or better shape go for a lot more....

Dusty

Well if you find what is in my Avatar you hit the lottery....good luck.

Back
Top Bottom