• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Silly idea or is it?

Bajanick

Elite Member
I came up this this silly idea ( I am sure Im not the first) to place 2 or 3 small rollers or wheels on the edge of a Coil so you dont have to hold it off the ground and can simply roll it around, they would be adjustable and have shocks for uneven terrain. ;)

Bajanick.......Not a totally silly idea, but a few things come quickly to my mind. (a) the rollers would need to be swivel ,or omnidirectional, so as to respond easily to any directional changes as you move the coil over the ground, (b) all materials used to make these rollers would need to be nonmetallic, so as not to drive the detector circuitry nuts, (c) weigh just a few ounces, since we are all looking for light weight detectors for less arm and shoulder fatigue and (d) you would need to discover a good way to fasten these rollers to the coil (no adhesives or epoxies with a metallic substance added for strength, such as the newer Titanium silicone caulks, as this would probably screw up the signals too. However, if you decided to affix the rollers with an adhesive, I'm pretty sure you could find an appropriate and strong product.....there are literally thousands to choose from, albeit, it would take some investigation.

If you are the inventor, entrepreneur type, with the time and money to develop a new product, go for it and good luck ! :grin: Been there, done that, and can tell you it's a h--- of a lot easier to come up with an idea than it is to develop a good working prototype, sell the idea to a manufacturer and get it marketed.
Not trying to poo-poo your idea here, but it's like investing in the stock market, a gamble.

Hope this gives you something to think about in a positive way.

Todd

ToddB64 said:
Bajanick.......Not a totally silly idea, but a few things come quickly to my mind. (a) the rollers would need to be swivel ,or omnidirectional, so as to respond easily to any directional changes as you move the coil over the ground, (b) all materials used to make these rollers would need to be nonmetallic, so as not to drive the detector circuitry nuts, (c) weigh just a few ounces, since we are all looking for light weight detectors for less arm and shoulder fatigue and (d) you would need to discover a good way to fasten these rollers to the coil (no adhesives or epoxies with a metallic substance added for strength, such as the newer Titanium silicone caulks, as this would probably screw up the signals too. However, if you decided to affix the rollers with an adhesive, I'm pretty sure you could find an appropriate and strong product.....there are literally thousands to choose from, albeit, it would take some investigation.

If you are the inventor, entrepreneur type, with the time and money to develop a new product, go for it and good luck ! :grin: Been there, done that, and can tell you it's a h--- of a lot easier to come up with an idea than it is to develop a good working prototype, sell the idea to a manufacturer and get it marketed.
Not trying to poo-poo your idea here, but it's like investing in the stock market, a gamble.

Hope this gives you something to think about in a positive way.

Todd

Problem, you would lose depth.

I just thought it would be kinda neat.
I was watching the M6 DVD last night and they were holding the coil really far off the ground, seemed kinda strange cuz I always stay as close to the ground as possible.

They use metal detectors pulled behind ATV's to find metors dont know why one couldnt be fixed to work like you want. Maybe a little wider than normal would make it work right? Not an engineneer so I maybe blowing smoke :lol:

Spittfire........Not as long as the rollers didn't elevate the under surface of the coil more than manufacturer's suggested scan height above ground. I have the Ace250 and Garrett suggests 1" above ground. Now, if you want the coil to contact the ground as you swing (referred to as scrubbing), then of course you are correct. Yes, the rollers would have to be small in diameter.

Todd

I submit that the resistance of grass, gravel, dirt etc. to even the best of rollers would require far more effort than swinging the detector through the air and that your wrist would soon be fatigued and useless.

But, if you had a steady stream of air under the head coming from something like a leaf blower so it would float like a minature hovercraft then you'de have something. And I'm sure no one would notice or object to the noise.

Rudy said:
Why not just put on a coil cover and let it drag. :?:

Thats pretty much what I do when my arm gets tired, Usually within five minutes of hunting.......LOL.

On a more serious note, I don't know how tall you are, but maybe
you are extending the lower rod too far in the hope that this will
give you more ground coverage as you sweep. This will make
the machine tip heavy.

You really should extend just enough that the coil is a just a little ahead
of your feet. You might also want to check the position of the arm cuff.
There are several holes in the shaft that you can try, to reduce the
leverage stress on your arm.

Scavenger said:
I submit that the resistance of grass, gravel, dirt etc. to even the best of rollers would require far more effort than swinging the detector through the air and that your wrist would soon be fatigued and useless.

Hi Scavenger !.............After re-thinking the idea, I agree with your evaluation. I was wrong to offer encouragement. A little :mad: at myself for doing that. O well, now I have an entry for my 2007 mistakes list :sniff: :lol: :lol:.

Todd :grin:

Scavenger said:
But, if you had a steady stream of air under the head coming from something like a leaf blower so it would float like a minature hovercraft then you'de have something. And I'm sure no one would notice or object to the noise.

Hey Scavenger........That's an even better idea than the one I had.....a coil with an antigravity knob ! :lol: :lol:

Todd

There was a TV show on the other night that had some guys hunting for meteors using homemade coils that they pulled, some were handheld and others were pulled behind ATV's. They found a huge meteor worth $90,000. I wouldn't mind finding something like that.

Back
Top Bottom