Pinpointer under $60???

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have used two garrett pinpointers. The black one and now the carrot.
My son needs one, but on limited budget. I looked a few reviews of cheaper ones available on amazon the bounty hunter and pyle sports. They negatives reviews basically said you were wasting your money.

Are there any decent pinpointers that cost around $60?

thanks

The BH one is horrible compared to something like the carrot. I recieved it for free with my detector purchase, got frustrated with it and purchased a carrot the week after. I thought about selling it used, but I just can't deal with feeling guilty for ripping someone off, even if only $20. I still have it as a backup just in case my carrot ever needs to go in for repair.

You can get one for free. A pin pointer is not really a necessity as much as some people believe them to be. Many detectorist don't use one. If you learn to pinpoint well the object should be in the plug and 9 out of 10 times your going to break open the dug plug anyway to find the object. Simply swiping the plug over your coil will tell you if you are on the mark and the object is there in the plug. Unless your digging plugs the size of a 5 gallon bucket I have never had a need for a pin pointer. I think I can hear a large angry lynch mob coming. :laughing:

Hey picker , your right , I have forgotten mine and got along without it . To me it is a big time saver, especially for a find that is hard to see in the muddy soil. All in all saves time ! If someone does well with out it more power to them . :grin: HH

Put in an extra $20 and get a Deteknix, or get a coupon and buy a HF one for about $16.
The HF one is cheap but works ok, many here started with one, the Deteknix has its limitations but works pretty well close to the higher end units.
Use either to help recover enough clad to get something better up the road.

The BH or Fisher $40 is not a good value nor are any of the under $80 counterfeits on the market.

You can get one for free. A pin pointer is not really a necessity as much as some people believe them to be. Many detectorist don't use one. If you learn to pinpoint well the object should be in the plug and 9 out of 10 times your going to break open the dug plug anyway to find the object. Simply swiping the plug over your coil will tell you if you are on the mark and the object is there in the plug. Unless your digging plugs the size of a 5 gallon bucket I have never had a need for a pin pointer. I think I can hear a large angry lynch mob coming. :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: The NONE Pinpoint users tend to stay quiet, shake their heads, giggle with mirth when Pinpointers are so reverently discussed by the drooling booboos that cant properly pinpoint with their coil and NEED an auxiliary handheld...these are the kind of people that cant find their @ss with both hands of course, or a 3" penny with a screwdriver.. theres a lot of them on this Planet!..So Hey, just chalk it up to that.....I'm just gonna leave this right here and back away slowly...:laughing:. "GET HIM BOYS!"

Put in an extra $20 and get a Deteknix, or get a coupon and buy a HF one for about $16.
The HF one is cheap but works ok, many here started with one, the Deteknix has its limitations but works pretty well close to the higher end units.
Use either to help recover enough clad to get something better up the road.

The BH or Fisher $40 is not a good value nor are any of the under $80 counterfeits on the market.

X2 on the Deteknix. What's $20...a trip out for hamburgers? Once eaten they are gone. The Deteknix is a fine PPr.

I had a White's Bullseye II as a backup before selling it to a buddy. Paid $30 on eBay, the guy actually said in the listing "It's not working properly will only vibrate not beep" He didn't know there is a switch to change it to beeps in the battery compartment. Anyway it was no Carrot but I liked it better than the Bounty Hunter.

Got 2 free BH PP's with purchases from Kellyco. Other than *requiring* fresh batteries, the things have done a fine job for me. Get within 3" of the target & it beeps & buzzes. Not sure what ELSE it's supposed to do - if I spend an extra $100, will the Carrot fetch me a beer? :lol:

edit: I appear to be in the minority, but here ya go - $35: https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunte...487276490&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=bh+pinpointer

Got 2 free BH PP's with purchases from Kellyco. Other than *requiring* fresh batteries, the things have done a fine job for me. Get within 3" of the target & it beeps & buzzes. Not sure what ELSE it's supposed to do - if I spend an extra $100, will the Carrot fetch me a beer? :lol:

edit: I appear to be in the minority, but here ya go - $35: https://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunte...487276490&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=bh+pinpointer

Now while I might prefer a Garrett Carrot (and may decide to eventually get one) those of us on a fixed income and/or tight budget might need to opt for a budget model at least starting out.

That Bounty Hunter pinpointer is a low price, but for those who need something even cheaper right now and right now means a budget pinpointer, here is one for just $17.99 and I was surprised that for that price it has a 3.8 out of 5 star rating with 97 reviews, not bad for a cheapie model !

http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Sure, get a higher end model if price is no issue, but if things are tight right now and you want something for now this seems to be okay for the low price.

Now while I might prefer a Garrett Carrot (and may decide to eventually get one) those of us on a fixed income and/or tight budget might need to opt for a budget model at least starting out.

That Bounty Hunter pinpointer is a low price, but for those who need something even cheaper right now and right now means a budget pinpointer, here is one for just $17.99 and I was surprised that for that price it has a 3.8 out of 5 star rating with 97 reviews, not bad for a cheapie model !

http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Sure, get a higher end model if price is no issue, but if things are tight right now and you want something for now this seems to be okay for the low price.

I completely agree - that's why i stuck with the BH's & they work great for me! I simply can't justify spending $125-$135 for a carrot when the BH works perfectly. That HF pointer says the wand "detects in all directions". Doesn't that mean the exact opposite of "pinpointer"? :p

Maxx , your hunting style should help you to decide how much you spend on a PP . If you spend most of your time clad stabbing in nice parks . Go cheap , or I f your a water guy . If ya go diggin around inthe woods , roots , mud, or creeks that the holes fill with water ya might want a dependable PP. For me diggin in sand is tough , finds seem to move around a lot more . If you hunt parking lots you don't even need a MD or PP. So make your decision according to your skill level ,conditions you hunt, $$ you can afford . Good Luck HH

I completely agree - that's why i stuck with the BH's & they work great for me! I simply can't justify spending $125-$135 for a carrot when the BH works perfectly. That HF pointer says the wand "detects in all directions". Doesn't that mean the exact opposite of "pinpointer"? :p

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think if they thought about it, they might consider rewording how they explain it :lol:

Back
Top Bottom