Clad Question

NoxDude

Elite Member
Hey Guys..

Say, I have started to cash in my $1700 + in clad and I do have quite a few of clad that is in bad shape that the bank will not except. I need to ship them to the mint. Has anybody ever ship clad to the mint before? How does it take to get your money? Do they send a check?

Yesterday, I took $75 of dollar coins to the bank. Now these coins are in excellent condition after I cleaned them. They refused to except them because they don't look pretty. REALLY??? You got to be joking. Its money for crying out loud! SOOO I am going to send them to the mint now. Good thing they did not reject my quarters. I would really be in a pickle. I may have to use the coin star next year now. :(

atpro dude

If you shop at Walmart, go through the self checkout and pump those suckers through their coin slot. It takes a few minutes more, but you can even dump the dirty ones in there as long as they are not bent. Sometimes it gets overwhelmed and takes like 20 seconds to catch up the tally, but then you can start pumping again.

I only use the coinstar for dimes, nickels and pennies. I don't mind paying 10 cents on the dollar for those, but I'm not paying 10 cents for using 4 quarters.

Some high priced vending machines will exchange them too. If it has items that are $1.50, it can't hold those coins being deposited and you will hear them dump into the change bucket. Then hit the coin return and fresh coins come out from reserves since it's already dumped your deposited coins into the coin bucket.

Now HERES a topic! Ok...do NOT ship them off to the Mint! Like MrN said, figure out a way to get full credit for them locally! Roll them in with a bunch of others and go over the counter for purchases or trade in for paper!...I just traded a roll of dirt dimes and a roll of dirt Q's at the counter at the local store yesterday! I nonchalantly said to the checkout girl, "Oh, here, cash these in please" and she dutifully did! She handed over the paper money for my rolls! Theres $15!

They have to take them, being legal tender, and they dont care, they just push them off in change to somebody else anyway...

OK sure, I run a lot of coins through the Coinstar, on account of its just easy and fast, I hit the bent kickouts with a hammer, I sometimes have to file off a rough edge or two, but that is part of the enjoyment for me!!

Any thing kicked out repeatedly gets rolled in with a bunch of others and over the counter it goes! It aint our fault the mint produces such garbage coins, and that bank of yours? Telling you your coins dont look right and refusing acceptance? Bullkrap!

Also, certain vending machines accept the badly discolored, just pop them in and then hit the coin return button as if you changed your mind about the purchase...out tumbles fresh clean clad out of the refund hopper!

All sorts of ways to offload discolored clad locally..dont send it to the Mint expecting a refund though...more trouble than worth!:laughing: Just work that $75 dollars of yours through your local system, a little at a time....No biggy, just a minor issue all Mega Claddies have to deal with!:laughing:
Roll 'em up, and go over the counter!

Push back hard if some grocery store counter kid gives you any sass..."The Customer is Always Right" like I said, it aint your fault...counter kids... they always fold...nothing in it for them, and they dont want any trouble...

Oh, screw the rotten pennies!...just a complete waste of time...in fact, when you dig one, just drop the damned thing or you will wind up with a coffee can full of them in about a month! Leave them right there for somebody else! Like Grandpa always said, "Let the noobs pull rotten pennies, keep them off your Q's":laughing:

Last edited:
I do business at a credit union and a bank and they both have no fee coin machines that take all my clad. Maybe get another bank to do business with?
I agree with "mudpuppy" about NOT sending your coins to the mint.

Now HERES a topic! Ok...do NOT ship them off to the Mint! Like MrN said, figure out a way to get full credit for them locally! Roll them in with a bunch of others and go over the counter for purchases or trade in for paper!...I just traded a roll of dirt dimes and a roll of dirt Q's at the counter at the local store yesterday! I nonchalantly said to the checkout girl, "Oh, here, cash these in please" and she dutifully did! She handed over the paper money for my rolls! Theres $15!

They have to take them, being legal tender, and they dont care, they just push them off in change to somebody else anyway...

OK sure, I run a lot of coins through the Coinstar, on account of its just easy and fast, I hit the bent kickouts with a hammer, I sometimes have to file off a rough edge or two, but that is part of the enjoyment for me!!

Any thing kicked out repeatedly gets rolled in with a bunch of others and over the counter it goes! It aint our fault the mint produces such garbage coins, and that bank of yours? Telling you your coins dont look right and refusing acceptance? Bullkrap!

Also, certain vending machines accept the badly discolored, just pop them in and then hit the coin return button as if you changed your mind about the purchase...out tumbles fresh clean clad out of the refund hopper!

All sorts of ways to offload discolored clad locally..dont send it to the Mint expecting a refund though...more trouble than worth!:laughing: Just work that $75 dollars of yours through your local system, a little at a time....No biggy, just a minor issue all Mega Claddies have to deal with!:laughing:
Roll 'em up, and go over the counter!

Push back hard if some grocery store counter kid gives you any sass..."The Customer is Always Right" like I said, it aint your fault...counter kids... they always fold...nothing in it for them, and they dont want any trouble...

Oh, screw the rotten pennies!...just a complete waste of time...in fact, when you dig one, just drop the damned thing or you will wind up with a coffee can full of them in about a month! Leave them right there for somebody else! Like Grandpa always said, "Let the noobs pull rotten pennies, keep them off your Q's":laughing:

LOL!! Thank you Mr. Mud for your inspiring clad wisdom during this difficult situation I am in. I will honor your idea's and put them to use as you suggested. haha!

My wifes bank still takes rolled coins and they dont ask for ID so I just throw all my coins in bent and all. If there is like eatten zinc penny I just throw another in there just to get rid of it and they are a penny richer. Banks should take just about any coin because they are legal tender. They will send them to the mint.

The mint isn't going to give you coin coin coin exchange anyway. They will give you the scrap price of the metal. Coinstars are OK especially when you don't want to tumble a bunch of pennies. Just give them a good rinse and send them through. And the self check outs are a good suggestion also. I've gotten into coin roll hunting for the winter and the self check out is a good way to get rid of the half dollars

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

I'm very disappointed with the mega cladders .
By this time you better have invested in a good heavy tumbler . In your case AT pro dude .. you need a small 5 gallon electric cement mixer 😎
If your not going to clean your fish timely and effectively then don't pass them off on me after sitting in your freezer for a year.
Man up you Sally's !!! Your sposta be the big dogs everyone looks up to . Clean them and they will take them . Hit the bent ones with a hammer and pass them along after a long tumble . Crusty zinks are for paying taxes and fines 👍
Dew

Sorry guys, but the Fed Reserve (which is/is not a government entity) states that private businesses do not have to accept cash or currency for payment. Take a lot of hotels and airlines, for instance. CC's only. Legal tender is just that, legal for businesses to accept on their terms. Unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

Last edited:
I'de definately check other banks. I dumped about $60 of clad at mine (Credit Union) a few months back. Out of that there was under .20 that was either too bent or corroded to go through the machine. Teller lady did ask where they came from since they were off color. I told her right away I dug them out of the ground and had about a 10 minute discussion with her about detecting. No hassle at all, Just said bring in another jar when you fill it up and wished me luck.

I take mine to the coin machine at my bank and the ones it don't take I throw away. I spent too much time already digging them up, than to waste more pounding them back into shape. The machine prints out a ticket that I take to the teller and deposit. No one sees the coins until they empty the machine.
On a funny note, I have taken in a large batch and a few days later got some dirty coins back in change at a nearby convenient store. What comes around - goes around. :)

I take mine to the coin machine at my bank and the ones it don't take I throw away. I spent too much time already digging them up, than to waste more pounding them back into shape. The machine prints out a ticket that I take to the teller and deposit. No one sees the coins until they empty the machine.
On a funny note, I have taken in a large batch and a few days later got some dirty coins back in change at a nearby convenient store. What comes around - goes around. :)

:laughing::laughing: Yeah! That happens to me too! In this little town here, when a guy is running lots of dirty clad all over the place and cashing it in where ever, you get YOUR old dirty clad right back! I always get a giggle out of that! like, "Damn! Here you are again?":laughing:

Also, on another note....There was an article a few months ago about those bank coin machines shorting the customer on the count...so be aware of that...you may pour in $100, and only get credited for $90!

Sorry guys, but the Fed Reserve (which is/is not a government entity) states that private businesses do not have to accept cash or currency for payment. Take a lot of hotels and airlines, for instance. CC's only. Legal tender is just that, legal for businesses to accept on their terms. Unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

Well, isnt that a rip off? They dish out this worthless clad/fiat paper to us, and then they have the option of refusing to take it back? Thats like fraud or something! :laughing:

Good news! I was able to change out 95 percent of my dollars coins with pretty shinny new ones! LOL! I went to a soda/snack machine and started popping them in 1 by 1 and I was getting a new one in return! I need to find more machines to do this with.

atprodude

Good news! I was able to change out 95 percent of my dollars coins with pretty shinny new ones! LOL! I went to a soda/snack machine and started popping them in 1 by 1 and I was getting a new one in return! I need to find more machines to do this with.

atprodude

Yeah! That works just great until the vending machine guy gets wise to the program! You know what he does then? After finding a hopper full of dirties, and cussing, He tries to flip the script and starts putting YOUR discolored clad coins into the coin Refund hopper! Then its sort of a funny race! Finding the vending machines that accept our dirties and spit out the clean 'Refund' freshies! :laughing:

Theres one good thing though, sometimes, the disgusted purchasers just toss those dirties right off to the side instead of putting them in their pocket!:laughing: A hilarious game! "Ewww! what a dirty coin!" toss!

Mega Cladding encompasses a whole 'nother subset genre of skills! Not just finding the coins, but redeeming them for full face value! All the Coinstar guys and vending route monkeys have just got to hate us!

I hit a rest area once, and really made some freshie 'refund' pay! I kept pumping them in and hitting the Refund button! I bet the guy who ran that fleet of machines was really pist!:laughing: Like I said, it aint our fault these modern coins degrade so quickly...right?

By the time the 2015 hunt season was over, we had cashed in nearly $1100.00 in clad. I take them to my bank AND my credit union because each of them redeems coins with no fees attached. I got back the entire amount. I will NEVER cash them at Coinstar and take a 10% hit, and passing them off a few coins at a time makes no sense to me. Every time I had $50 face I headed to the bank rather than wait until the hunt season was over and try to cash them all in at once.

By the time the 2015 hunt season was over, we had cashed in nearly $1100.00 in clad. I take them to my bank AND my credit union because each of them redeems coins with no fees attached. I got back the entire amount. I will NEVER cash them at Coinstar and take a 10% hit, and passing them off a few coins at a time makes no sense to me. Every time I had $50 face I headed to the bank rather than wait until the hunt season was over and try to cash them all in at once.
That is an INSANE amount of clad. Big congrats!

Back
Top Bottom