Spike

bibelot

Forum Supporter
I found this spike, 24 1/4" long. What do you think , railroad or no ?
DSCN0766.JPG

Did you find it near where a railroad is or was? On a side note, we either have the same washing machine or you broke into my house to take that pic. :laughing:

Looks way too long for a standard RR spike. All the ones I've seen have been around 6 inches long or so. I'm sure they my have others for specific applications that could be alot longer but I really couldn't say for certain. If you know any blacksmiths they could probably make a sword out of that thing.

I found it where Glenn Curtiss had once owned and worked at. It was near one of his barns,ithe head was down about 8" deep,driven straight down in the ground. I doubt it was a boundary line as it' in the middle of the property.

I thought it was a coin,high 80's. I know he used rails for getting his sea planes off the ground to the water but it might not even been something of his.There is railroad tracks about 200 yards away.Could be a survey marker,but as said, the property is larger but who knows whether they were separate deeds at one time. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Did you find it near where a railroad is or was? On a side note, we either have the same washing machine or you broke into my house to take that pic. :laughing:

Good observation.:laughing: I wouldn't have thought to look to see if they were the same.:lol:

Just a wild guess ...

Maybe a cable spike for something that's high tension or with heavy pull values like a Hot Air Balloon or Dirigible ... or a Circus tent spike (or large animal) but that's just a wild guess ...

OR maybe it was made in Texas ... cause everything is bigger there or so I heard ...:laughing: IMHO , Woodstock

Thanks for the replies. It's a keeper since it doesn't appear to be all that common. I'm going to bead blast it and then boil it trap dye and then wax it since I already have all of the !!!! to do it.

We used to cross under a wooden railroad trestle to get to some land we were working on. I looked around the old wooden structure and found several spikes just like that. So it's a trestle or bridge spike.

We used to cross under a wooden railroad trestle to get to some land we were working on. I looked around the old wooden structure and found several spikes just like that. So it's a trestle or bridge spike.
Correct, used to nail cross timbers to support timbers. Lag screws used also.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom