Ace 350 or Ace 400

I currently have a 400 and have used a 300 and I would say that if you are a hard core Garrett person then look on up the line at the Pro model. Something that has ground balance and effective discrimination. I do not like my 400 and prefer to use my Bounty Hunter LRP ten to one over the 400. Good luck on your decision.

I like the 400 because it:

- has Iron Audio (for me it's a good thing because I use it)
- seems to hit a little better on deeper targets
- does not collect as much garbage on top of the coil due to the type of coil and coil cover it has
- seems to be more accurate pinpointing
- it looks nice (sounds dumb, but the 300 feels and looks entry level and the 400 just has a higher end look and feel to it)

I get a bit frustrated when people say, "ahhh, just skip the other stuff and get the AT Pro!" Well, not all of us can afford that machine and, in my case, I needed 2 detectors right away so we could get out there and hunt. The way I see it, I'd rather be out hunting than sitting around looking at ads for a machine that's not in my budget.

Hope that helps and HH!

Last edited:

- does not collect as much garbage on top of the coil due to the type of coil and coil cover it has
- it looks nice (sounds dumb, but the 300 feels and looks entry level and the 400 just has a higher end look and feel to it)

I get a bit frustrated when people say, "ahhh, just skip the other stuff and get the AT Pro!" Well, not all of us can afford that machine and, in my case, I needed 2 detectors right away so we could get out there and hunt. The way I see it, I'd rather be out hunting than sitting around looking at ads for a machine that's not in my budget.

Hope that helps and HH!

The 400 has a very short cuff and has a very heavy coil, it is designed like a youth detector. It is a pain to use for any length of time and I have logged many hours on mine. Two LRP's would cost less than the Garrett.

Last edited:
The 400 has a very short cuff and has a very heavy coil designed like a youth detector. It is a pain to use for any length of time and I have logged many hours on mine. Two LRP's would cost less than the Garrett.

There's a huge difference between the 300 and 400 coil. Garrett doesn't even classify the 400 coil as anything close to a "coil designed like a youth detector" so I think that's quite a stretch to put that label on it.

There's a huge difference between the 300 and 400 coil. Garrett doesn't even classify the 400 coil as anything close to a "coil designed like a youth detector" so I think that's quite a stretch to put that label on it.

I was stating that the 400's frame was designed like a youth detector and that the coil is very heavy for that short of arm cuff/frame.

Last edited:
The 400 has a very short cuff and has a very heavy coil, it is designed like a youth detector. It is a pain to use for any length of time and I have logged many hours on mine. Two LRP's would cost less than the Garrett.
All Ace's and early ATpro's have a short upper shaft placing the cuff if the wrong place. I been making Gizmo's since around 2008 for just this problem. You can google it for reviews, youtube or check it out here while they last.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172364262957?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

All Ace's and early ATpro's have a short upper shaft placing the cuff if the wrong place. I been making Gizmo's since around 2008 for just this problem. You can google it for reviews, youtube or check it out here while they last.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172364262957?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I found that some time after I made mine out of wood. Yours is much better but mine is tough light and works also. Great idea. All the changes to the handle did not improve the ground balancing or discrimination weakness. I would still recomend the Pro series.

I bought a 350 for my son. Not having a numerical target ID and no way to tell the difference between a dime and a quarter before digging really ruined this detector for me. Its light and easy to use for the most part , when using the 5x8 coil , but its so limited that I wont buy another. I suggest paying a little more for the 400 would be wise , and if you could afford it get an AT pro. That ace 400 really does look like a winner though if you need to come in a little cheaper than an ATP.

The Garrett Ace 400 also has a DD coil on it. DD coils have a more even detection pattern in the ground and its not as important to overlap your swings. You get a bit more depth with DD coils. Not to mention easier to pin point once you learn them.

I'd definitely choose the 400 over the 350, but I'd also suggest looking into a used AT Pro.

Back
Top Bottom