Bought another Sov

Auriemma

I made a deal recently for a working ML Sov XS-2a Pro, S shaft, working Detech Excellerator-S 5" coil, 8" BBS coil (broken wires at the connector) & 10" BBS coil (probably a broken wire). All for $200 shipped.

I'm curious if I did ok.

Also, what are the chances of getting the coils back to working order?
I'm thinking about sending them to Minelab or KellyCo Repair.

You stole it. I still like my Sovereign better than my Etrac overall, mostly because the audio is so good.

The broken wires at the connector is a problem. It was not designed to be re-soldered. I tried to repair mine but gave up on it. If you can get the connector with wires attached you are in.

Thanks all. I've asked a friend who is an excellent electrician to look at the coils. If he can't fix the 10" coil, he can use the connector to fix the 8". If I know him, he will hand me two working coils.

On a side note, a coworker offered to make new V-clips for me, with some mods to make them easier to handle mount. He has 2 3D printers and is always looking for new challenges.

I have had 3 or 4 of the sovereigns. Elite, XS and the others I cannot remember. If I lived near the coast they would be the ones I swung all of the time or an excaliber. I wish they had a slightly different battery set up though. Good units if you learn them. You got a great deal.

I can't help you on the Elite, but I've modified my XS2-Pro to take either the XS plug style battery or the Pro style. I'll probably do the same to my XS2a-Pro as well. Just solder a plug in-line with the pressure contacts (make sure to get the polarities correct). Wallah... she goes both ways!

And I do prefer them over my E-trac.

Back
Top Bottom