Messing with stupid people....

Silver_Seeker

Elite Member
Maybe I'm not a nice person sometimes...

Anyway, today I was detecting at a church I got permission from the pastor to detect. The church sits in the very corner of about 3 acres of land and is surrounded on all sides by houses.

So, I'm digging a plug when I hear an angry voice yell, "Hey, guy!" I've got my headphones on and ignore him though I can see his movement in my peripheral vision. I made sure I was on my feet before he got to me.

Angry man: "You can't be here!"

Me: "I can't?"

Angry man: "This is private property!"

Me: "It is" (statement, not question)

Angry man: "See that building over there!" Pointing to the church

Me: "Yes"

Angry man: "It's a church!"

Me: "It is"

Angry man: "They own all this property"

Me: "They do" (again statement, not question)

Angry man starts to storm off, throws his cigarette to the ground and is saying something incoherent.

Me:"Excuse me"

Angry man: Stops and turns around to face me. "This is private property!"

Me: "I know"

Angry man: "You better act accordingly!"

Me: "Have a nice day."

Now I didn't do anything directly to antagonize him...but I did nothing to calm him either. If he wants to be an angry %^&*^* who am I to stop him? ;)

So I stuck around for another hour though the finds were only modern clad. I was kinda hoping angry man would call the cops because you KNOW he'd be watching out his window as they arrived. Of course, I would have told them that Pastor xxxx gave me permission to be there :D.

Heck, I would've told angry man I had permission to be there but he never asked :lol:

Dumb people in large groups scare me.

Was nicely asked to leave the University once by a campus cop. I complied and was nice about it. It got me the invite later as one of my hunting buddys knew the guy. You never know where a encounter will lead. As a former telemarketer I would of had to push it and ask that guy if I could do his yard. At least ask him if there is any old privys or buildings in the area........

Great story...

Reminds me of a day at work years back...

I was surveying transmission lines in NY... The whole corridor was briars and rose.. My truck was pretty much blocking the trail... Some angry woman with her dog came walking up the trail and started laying into me about my truck blocking the trail... That's when I simply informed her SHE was actually trespassing, and she should just move on before I called the police on her... The look on her face was priceless...

It's a long way down when you start off on a high horse! :laughing:

<°)))>{

I am glad I've never been bothered/harassed out detecting. It would most likely would have ruined my day and made me say @"*! it.. Time to go canning..

Exactly how I would have dealt with it! If someone wants to wind themselves up, I would be more than happy to give them a helping hand. Good approach.

I think you handled it perfectly. The angry guy must have been some good entertainment :lol:

If people would mind their own business they wouldn't be tasting their own foot as often.

Ya , well done . Obviously the angry man likes to be angry . Why ease his mind . Why ruin his day and make settle his Nervs ?
I'm 48 years old and I'm not looking for trouble but I'm not taking chit from anyone anymore .. accept my wife . đź‘Ť I am also tired of folks that need to take a chil pill and or mind there own business
HH , Dew

I believe you WERE acting accordingly.

A friend of mine got kicked off of a soccer complex recently, probably because the guy, a soccer coach, saw him dig a hole. The city park district has no problems with us detecting.....since we fill in our holes, but the local prairie dogs on the other hand, do not. My buddy left, but I would have pulled out some can slaw, wire, or other sharp objects I find all the time, and ask the coach if he'd like his kid to fall on that. That usually soothes the uninformed.

Back to your invite. A church, 3 acres, in RI? Theres gotta be some nice silver there. Have fun!

Agreed,let him rant. My wick is way too short for that,I would not have been so accommodating. No time.
Man,talk about patience! I once knew I guy who was about to beat a 6 year old for throwing rocks at him!:lol: THAT,I'm pretty sure,was the funniest thing I've seen while detecting. Thank you sir,you know who you are....;)

Fun story Silver!

Hope you got into some good stuff there.

Most people who approach me are just curious with the usual questions about finds and equipment.

Ya , well done . Obviously the angry man likes to be angry . Why ease his mind . Why ruin his day and make settle his Nervs ?
I'm 48 years old and I'm not looking for trouble but I'm not taking chit from anyone anymore .. accept my wife . &#55357;&#56397; I am also tired of folks that need to take a chil pill and or mind there own business
HH , Dew

People can be so silly.

One of the best stories was when one of our members was detecting in a park and got barked at by a dog walking owner. Our regular member was in the right. After hearing this silly person's rambling; our member says, "Shouldn't that dog be on a leash"?! :laughing: :laughing:
The dog owner got a disappointing look on their face and scampered off. :D

Was nicely asked to leave the University once by a campus cop. I complied and was nice about it. It got me the invite later as one of my hunting buddys knew the guy. You never know where a encounter will lead. As a former telemarketer I would of had to push it and ask that guy if I could do his yard. At least ask him if there is any old privys or buildings in the area........

Darn, wish I'd thought of that. Guy would've blown a gasket!

I was detecting in a park one day when I noticed a guy and a little girl by a park bench.

A few minutes later I noticed the little girl walking my way. After watching me dig a dime the girl about 9 yrs old asks me "Do you have permission to do that here?"

Caught off guard by a kid asking me that...I looked around and remembered her dad sitting on the bench over there and thought about how he had obviously sent her to ask if I had permission...and I said "Actually, go tell your dad that I have written permission to be here."

Wish I could have seen the look on his face when she told him. :)

Maybe I'm not a nice person sometimes...

Anyway, today I was detecting at a church I got permission from the pastor to detect. The church sits in the very corner of about 3 acres of land and is surrounded on all sides by houses.

So, I'm digging a plug when I hear an angry voice yell, "Hey, guy!" I've got my headphones on and ignore him though I can see his movement in my peripheral vision. I made sure I was on my feet before he got to me.

Angry man: "You can't be here!"

Me: "I can't?"

Angry man: "This is private property!"

Me: "It is" (statement, not question)

Angry man: "See that building over there!" Pointing to the church

Me: "Yes"

Angry man: "It's a church!"

Me: "It is"

Angry man: "They own all this property"

Me: "They do" (again statement, not question)

Angry man starts to storm off, throws his cigarette to the ground and is saying something incoherent.

Me:"Excuse me"

Angry man: Stops and turns around to face me. "This is private property!"

Me: "I know"

Angry man: "You better act accordingly!"

Me: "Have a nice day."

Now I didn't do anything directly to antagonize him...but I did nothing to calm him either. If he wants to be an angry %^&*^* who am I to stop him? ;)

So I stuck around for another hour though the finds were only modern clad. I was kinda hoping angry man would call the cops because you KNOW he'd be watching out his window as they arrived. Of course, I would have told them that Pastor xxxx gave me permission to be there :D.

Heck, I would've told angry man I had permission to be there but he never asked :lol:

Ahhh, one of my favorite ways to handle the dummies. Well played sir!

Nice job! I'm not sure I could have had such restraint. I once had a town worker kick me out of an old ballfield. Stated it was HIS ballfield. It's like dude get of your high horse , it's town property dip stick :D I just left without issue. Got to look out for the future of the hobby. HH!

I had a run in with a nut job after receiving permission as well. Oh and she accused me of finding and taking her ring. She was flat out crazy

They come on all flavors, I was detecting at a lake beach and lady asked me, "what is that?" Like come on really? I've know metal detctors since I was a kid and only recently ever owned one....

They come on all flavors, I was detecting at a lake beach and lady asked me, "what is that?" Like come on really? I've know metal detctors since I was a kid and only recently ever owned one....

While doing a curb strip I was once asked, "Are you looking for the gas leak"?

Back
Top Bottom