revolutionary war naval anchor button

HEAVYMETALNUT

Forum Supporter
Got out with sniffy and headed down to some sites rebel & fastfrank and myself been to before.the site pictured is a huge gorgeous old colonial center chimney home site but the amount of myrtle and thickness of it was really frustrating .I'd love to mow it down if it were possible.we each managed a flat button at the myrtle site.
so we moved down to the last site
this particular site we tried to pull a prank on Rebel by burying a reproduction Fugio cent but he didnt buy it when he dug it up :laughing: anyways not far from the hole we buried that fake coin I got a beautiful anchor button which is early and old.I'm guessin Revolutionary War naval button,If i'm wrong somebody please correct me.a 1900 IH and some scrumcious rasberries :D

Attachments

• JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 001.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 001.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,115
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 004.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 004.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 931
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 008.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 008.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 888
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 009.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 009.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 877
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 002.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 949
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 003.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 003.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 997
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 010.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 010.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 890
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 011.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 011.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,194
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 012.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 012.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 976
  • JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 013.jpg
    JULY 22ND REV WAR NAVAL BUTTON 013.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 882
Nice button and you are right on the time frame. (Captain - 1770s/80s) It's a little different than the others I've seen.

I dug a chain type in 2006. I guess you have a thing for chains on buttons and coins huh? :yes:

Nice button and you are right on the time frame. (Captain - 1770s/80s) It's a little different than the others I've seen.

I dug a chain type in 2006. I guess you have a thing for chains on buttons and coins huh? :yes:

thanks IP! is it american or british though?

British. Most American Navy were designed after the French design and I've actually found one of those too.
ok thanks! now how does a british naval button end up at a american cellar hole foundation? :?: a war memento brought home? or did they kill the soldier and steal his jacket :laughing:

Last edited:
ok thanks! now how does a british naval button end up at a american cellar hole foundation? :?: a wqr memento brought home? or did they kill the soldier and steal his jacket

Would be great to know wouldn't it. Ten years ago a friend of mine who was hunting some very good Loyalist sites and finding lots of military buttons popped up a pewter USA which was crazy considering the Loyalists had traveled hundreds of miles after the war to settle to where he was digging. Now that one has to have a great story!

PS: If you check out the Harold Cobb GW button page and sale you'll see there was a similar Navy button sold from his collection. I can't remember why it was included, but think it was sewn on a coat that had GWs. Now I'm not saying we should draw any conclusions here, because it's much difference circumstances, but thought I'd throw that in for interest sake.

Would be great to know wouldn't it. Ten years ago a friend of mine who was hunting some very good Loyalist sites and finding lots of military buttons popped up a pewter USA which was crazy considering the Loyalists had traveled hundreds of miles after the war to settle to where he was digging. Now that one has to have a great story!

PS: If you check out the Harold Cobb GW button page and sale you'll see there was a similar Navy button sold from his collection. I can't remember why it was included, but think it was sewn on a coat that had GWs. Now I'm not saying we should draw any conclusions here, because it's much difference circumstances, but thought I'd throw that in for interest sake.

wow pretty interesting story on the USA button :?:
yeah we all wish these things could talk ;)

Congratulations on the RW button, that's one fantastic find! The raspberries are excellent tasting this year, and there sure is plenty of them in the CT woods...

wow pretty interesting story on the USA button :?:
yeah we all wish these things could talk ;)

Yeah it was strange. I should have also said about every 2nd button he was finding at these better sites was military, so the USA was probably in the middle of a dozen or more Loyalist and British marked buttons.

hmmm weird but what a site that musta been :shock:

That site and many others. There was no one I knew anywhere finding anywhere close to the amount of Rev war buttons he was digging. I remember one day he found a patch of pewter 3rd American buttons on the shore, all in fairly nice condition. This was an extremely rare button and that afternoon he probably found as many as what was known before then. That guy had it awesome back in the day.

Well, first off, the Anchor button is NICE!
Great pictures!, Man, that cellar hole is HUGE! Really give scale w/ you standing there Dave!
No wonder all the nice finds around, our cellar holes are TINY compared to that! (and coppers elusive).
Hey I remember you guys joking about planting the Fugio for Roger!:p Save those tricks for A new guy i guess! lol!

That site and many others. There was no one I knew anywhere finding anywhere close to the amount of Rev war buttons he was digging. I remember one day he found a patch of pewter 3rd American buttons on the shore, all in fairly nice condition. This was an extremely rare button and that afternoon he probably found as many as what was known before then. That guy had it awesome back in the day.

wish i coulda detected that site :D

Well, first off, the Anchor button is NICE!
Great pictures!, Man, that cellar hole is HUGE! Really give scale w/ you standing there Dave!
No wonder all the nice finds around, our cellar holes are TINY compared to that! (and coppers elusive).
Hey I remember you guys joking about planting the Fugio for Roger!:p Save those tricks for A new guy i guess! lol!

yeah its a monster!! that's why i jumped up on the chimney pile & told sniff to snap a pic so,you can see the scale of it ;)

Yep!!

That's what she is!! It is a different variety of the chain type, and it is as good as gold...ok better than gold!!
Congrats!!

That's what she is!! It is a different variety of the chain type, and it is as good as gold...ok better than gold!!
Congrats!!
thanks but bummer is i just looked at my finger and i lost my gold ring.i was happy about this find now totally bummed about losing my 14kt and daimond ring.Roger if ya go to these sites and find it let me know.the band musta broke :( nevermind! i just found it in my bed! i musta taken it off in my sleep lol whew! happy again!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom