Took a person detecting today (60 plus year old woman)

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Headed out today,,,met up with this lady who lives down the road from me. She has detected before,,but over the last years has lost interest. So I met up with her in one of her sites actually.
I wanted to introduce her to some more modern detectors. She has Garrett 2500 she has had for years.

Anyway,,,I paired up 2 sets of headphones,,and let her listen in while I detected with Deus. I let her wear the ws4s so she could hear me talking to her,,,to describe what was happening with detector as I swept.

This site,,,as tough or tougher as any site I've ever been on. Around an acre of nothing but wall to wall nails and iron,,,,very old site btw.

After we ran the Deus for a while,,,,we fired up the Minelab CTX with stock coil to give it a run,,let her see how it worked and sounded.

In the end after all this,,,we found a few lead heads of Pf the roofing nails,,,a woman's old be.t buckle I think,,,and a very plain looking rosette ( deep approx 11") discovered running auto plus 3 no doubt. And a few other insignificant finds.

She liked the CTX the best,,even as heavy as it is.

We plan to go again tomorrow,,,to another area she owns,,,with some very old history for this area.

The site today,,,we are not finished with it,,,,will hunt more later.

This lady,,learned all she knows about detecting on her own,,,so far I'm impressed with how she has responded and talked about what we witnessed today.

A new detecting bud,,,longer term I hope.

Last edited:
What a great story and hopefully resulting in a good long friendship:D

Nothing I enjoy more than detecting with my beautiful wife:yes:

Sounds like that lady found both a good teacher and a detecting friend !

She may be teaching me to detect before it's over. Seriously

The thing I notice the most,,,is when I hand her the detector to check a target,,,I have to shorten the rod considerably,,,other wise the coil is a mile from her feet.

She may be teaching me to detect before it's over. Seriously

The thing I notice the most,,,is when I hand her the detector to check a target,,,I have to shorten the rod considerably,,,other wise the coil is a mile from her feet.

Hey, that's fine, if you learn some good detecting tips from her be sure to share them with us on the forum :lol:

Funny thing,,when digging out the rosette,,she said what are you doing,,digging a fence post hole.
She couldn't believe how deep it was detected. I could barely hear it,,43 conductive on the screen though. I think the holder that holds the pin was ferrous,,bothering the signal a tad.

Just wait till she sees a 9 or 10" dime come up out of the ground.
I told here the CTX was very capable,,,I don't know if she believes me or not.
Maybe tomorrow will show.

If she swung a Garrett 2500, she can handle any of the new detectors. Obviously she was serious about detecting. With her experience and knowledge of the area and your newer equipment, you should make a great detecting pair.:yes: Anxious to see the results of your hunts. Wishing you the best of luck.:yes:

You know,,I've read some of the horror stories about 2500 weight wise,,,Today was the first time I've ever held one. Didn't seem too heavy. Coil though looked more like a flying saucer vs what I'm used to seeing.

Good for you for getting her out, possibly a new hunting buddy.
sometimes we are just too busy to socialize with older folks, I know because I'm one now. joe

Love hunting NOT alone :laughing: sometimes I'll find something and look around to show someone but there's only darkness bahahaha congrats on the new hunting partner! In a very male dominated sport, it's good to see women interested too sometimes. HH!

just curious what your settings were when u dug the rosette. ferrous coin in combined? and that depth in auto +3 impressive

stock coil?

Sounds like you had a blast , I'm thinking of getting the z-link because I hunt often with my wife . I have been told that you can be 30 + feet away from the MD and still hear . Congrats on your new friend .

61 Year Old Woman Detector Here!

Hello! I read your post with interest and truly enjoyed it. Good luck with your new hunting buddy.
I am a 61 yr old woman just getting into metal detecting and loving it! For my 61st birthday last month all I wanted was a detector. I now have a Ace 400 & the Garrett Carrott. This is a great sport for keeping in shape and enjoying nature. I have been out only a few times and only found clad. But each one to me is a treasure! Just to know someone else owned something that I dug up is a thrill to me.

You know,,I've read some of the horror stories about 2500 weight wise,,,Today was the first time I've ever held one. Didn't seem too heavy. Coil though looked more like a flying saucer vs what I'm used to seeing.

I'm 71 and still hunt a lot with my 2500. It may be heavier than some of my other detectors but it still balances out for me and doesn't seem that heavy. For an older machine (Mine talks to me) it still has a lot of good features and still finds coins. I found silver the second day i had it.

just curious what your settings were when u dug the rosette. ferrous coin in combined? and that depth in auto +3 impressive

stock coil?

Ferrous coin,,auto sens,,,I think it was running with. 27 in the window,,,combined mode,,recovery fast,,stock coil.
This was getting close to fringe detectable,,but remember a rosette bigger than quarter. Still impressive though. My soil is at least medium minerlized too.

Back
Top Bottom