Relics and a Buffalo nickel

HistoryStudent

Here are a few interesting things I found last weekend. Not a lot of finds but I had a fun time. The stamped Infantry collar disk was on my wish list. The Buffalo nickel (1930) is in pretty good shape shape

My first stamped infantry collar disk
IMG_20161212_075804.jpg

Only my second Buffalo Nickel. My other was too crusty to read the date but this one is 1930.
IMG_20161211_202956.jpg

There was still just a little bit of blue cloth left on the back of this citation ribbon pin
IMG_20161211_203029.jpg

Last edited:
VERY COOL!!! Its always cool to pull a "first" to knock off the wish list, they are far and few between. Congrats, And as always I love the relics. Thanks for sharing

The Buffalo looks really good. In most areas the chemistry make-up of the soil attacks the copper/nickel in the coin. Congrats!
What is the soil like in your area?

It is a .30 carbine, and they are actually pretty common. I would like to know the headstamp on it though.
I'll get those for you but I have a strange headstamp that I'd like your opinion on. It's not one I've seen before. The only stamp is three notches made after the primer was in place. It appears that they didn't want anyone to reuse this casing after it was fired.
IMG_20161205_111753.jpg

It is a .30 carbine, and they are actually pretty common. I would like to know the headstamp on it though.

So the only long gun I'm familiar with it being in is the M1 Carbine, other that that it was in a couple revolvers and one or two modern pistols, none that I'm aware of still produced today. The cartridge never really took off and gained popularity in any handguns, so that essentially leaves the M1, which is more of a collectors or hobbyist, gun. That's why I was thinking it was not so common.

Here is the round next to a m1 round. The bullet is silver colored but I'm reluctant to say it's steel because it hasn't rusted the way steel .45 rounds I've found have. This silver bullet was found on an army base so I assume it's military

IMG_20161218_153729.jpg

I'll get those for you but I have a strange headstamp that I'd like your opinion on. It's not one I've seen before. The only stamp is three notches made after the primer was in place. It appears that they didn't want anyone to reuse this casing after it was fired.
View attachment 370927

Japanese round.
http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=30662

So the only long gun I'm familiar with it being in is the M1 Carbine, other that that it was in a couple revolvers and one or two modern pistols, none that I'm aware of still produced today. The cartridge never really took off and gained popularity in any handguns, so that essentially leaves the M1, which is more of a collectors or hobbyist, gun. That's why I was thinking it was not so common.

That is mostly true, but when a model of rifle has 6+ million units built, you have to assume the ammunition produced was at least 2 orders of magnitude larger, and not even considering commercial ammo. You can still buy .30 carbine in any well-stocked gun store.

View attachment 370927

Also, the three notches are merely a different type of crimp to keep the primer in place. US ammo uses a crimp as well, but it is less obvious because it is circular. Neither style has anything to do with preventing to reuse the casing, as both types of crimps can be easily removed. The Arisaka round was berdan primed, meaning reuse of the casing was close to impossible anyway.

Here is the round next to a m1 round. The bullet is silver colored but I'm reluctant to say it's steel because it hasn't rusted the way steel .45 rounds I've found have. This silver bullet was found on an army base so I assume it's military

The silver color is from a cupro-nickel jacket. It is mostly copper with a good amount of nickel and some other metals alloyed in, hence the color and lack of rust.

The Buffalo looks really good. In most areas the chemistry make-up of the soil attacks the copper/nickel in the coin. Congrats!
What is the soil like in your area?
It's mostly acidic soil here. Evergreen forests and lots of rain. The last Buffalo I found was pitted and corroded beyond hope. I got lucky with this one

Back
Top Bottom