Spike

We used to cross under a wooden railroad trestle to get to some land we were working on. I looked around the old wooden structure and found several spikes just like that. So it's a trestle or bridge spike.

That is making sense. There are a couple wooden railroad trestle bridges near by and the old wooden bridge missing really close by up stream from the 72 flood . I remember the road was closed most of the summer, there is a metal bridge where the old wooden bridge use to be.Thanks

I thought it was a coin,high 80's. I know he used rails for getting his sea planes off the ground to the water but it might not even been something of his.There is railroad tracks about 200 yards away.Could be a survey marker,but as said, the property is larger but who knows whether they were separate deeds at one time. Thanks for looking.

I think you just about answered your own question.
I would venture to guess that it was used as a tie down stake for his airplanes
to prevent them from moving in bad weather.

I guess one could hope but will never know unless I run across a picture of a plane tethered down to the same type of stake. There is so much info at the Curtiss museum, whether it will be available for me to see is another story. Through my work place, I was one of many who were chosen to help the museum move files as it had just built a new office facility into an upstairs loft. There is an ungodly amount of pictures, negative contents that couldn't possibly be all reviewed by or displayed for the public visitors. Maybe I'll get off my duff and take a tour and snap some pictures of the museum to post.

Back
Top Bottom