Plug cutter easy and cheap

tractmanrrl

Took stock bulb plug cutter and made it better. Used it now 5 yrs. drilled out handle and changed out bolt. Hammered the end so it won't loosen. Sharpened cutter and increased points. It has not rusted or bent. I do have to sharpen. After cutting plug it falls out the top. Will not work in gravel or hard dirt. Great for sod. Can cut plug at up to 8". Comfortable to use.
04db94997651d723add7c7ab81c885b1.jpg
9598e1870e00ab7314ec93032572350c.jpg
23dbbcd7393b777171f58d54e997bb52.jpg
cd65819435d3ab0efda0f1750ccd44a7.jpg
97c5bf8645222896358cb27bc0fe365a.jpg
b585bbcf9e40133350e05f37e91216c8.jpg

Last edited:
Not a horticulturalist by any means but will horizontal roots from the "hinge" of grass sustain the entire plug area?

Great for golf courses...not so great for rocks, roots and dry soil.

Digging a plug would be better in many ways. Neat idea but not practical. :)

Thought I would add so additional info. I hunt without a pin pointer. I locate by coil down to 2" circle. I then probe to locate it. If it is close to surface I pop it out with the probe. If more than 2" I cut a plug 2-3" deep. My target will be in the end of plug or bottom of hole. Since I know where it is, I can easily cut a plug with out damage. I have however cut a chain in the past. The only damage I have seen is from the probe scratching gold. Here is a pic of a plug I cut today. I have returned many time to where I hunt. The plugs don't die and turn brown. The roots go down in the plug several inches.

Not a horticulturalist by any means but will horizontal roots from the "hinge" of grass sustain the entire plug area?

It depends on the type of grass, some types spread by rhizomes and those types *might* be more likely to survive if a hinge is left. Other types (fescue and bluegrass) it probably would make no difference if you left a hinge or not. The survival of the plug has more to do with rainfall occurring soon after you dig, assuming the plug was stomped down good. If the grass was dormant, (late fall or winter) the grass will recover either way. BTW, I'm not a horticulturist either.

Sometimes ...

All I can say is "sometimes" you'll have yellow and dead plugs and sometimes you won't . There is a trick I've learned that works very well but it requires extra time and a bit of effort and it gives you a better chance of not having to leave dead grass replugs. The grass dies from dehidration most of the time because as most of us we are fair weather hobbiests .
But you'll have to carry a small bag of mixed grass seed and either a squirt bottle or water bottle with a pull out drink tab. Mist both the plug hole and the dirt area of the plug and then replace it ... and if you damage the area around the plug do the same but also sprinkle seed over the dampened damaged area , Then hand pull some fresh grass to cover the seeded area . This will leave less yellow dead plugs to deal with in the future.IMHO, Woodstock
Dead circles of sod/turf/grass, are in your future.

It depends on the type of grass, some types spread by rhizomes and those types *might* be more likely to survive if a hinge is left. Other types (fescue and bluegrass) it probably would make no difference if you left a hinge or not. The survival of the plug has more to do with rainfall occurring soon after you dig, assuming the plug was stomped down good. If the grass was dormant, (late fall or winter) the grass will recover either way. BTW, I'm not a horticulturist either.

Exactly. I was a horticulture intern.

I've got a couple of those and used them. I put a razors edge on mine it cuts a lot better. I don't use it much but have tried it.

Back
Top Bottom