This Weekends Civil War Finds!

Charlie Tuna

Elite Member
Here is some goodies found this weekend on private land with permission. Pictured are 5 ringtail Sharps unfired bullets, there was actually a 6th that you see pictured with my wife that I gave her. These were all found within a foot and a half of each other all about 4-6 inches deep. Soldier fell off his horse? Cartridge box broke? Skirmish with Indians and he spilled them? Who knows, but it is great to ponder! I didn't get to hunt as much as I wanted to but this is about 4-5 hours worth of stuff. Need an ID on a couple things in my hands, the one looks like a cartridge case? Maybe a scabbard tip? The other round disk I know I have seen before just can't place. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 484
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 471
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 483
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 485
By the way, the 22 short is only there because I thought it was unusual saying US, although it isn't military, it was neat.

Awesome finds buddy. Nice looking sharps. They appear to be 1861 model, anywhere from .54 to .57 caliber. You can tell by the ring pattern and the larger looking lower ring. I can't help with the id's, but the first one does look like a cartridge of some sort. -Wolf

I was thinking maybe a Burnside cartridge? Anyone have any dug fired Burnsides they could post for reference? Thanks.

Charlie

Nice!

It looks like a group of .56 caliber (tie-ring) Ringtail Sharps. It also appears that you dug a .56 caliber Spencer Repeating Rifle brass and the brass for a .44 caliber Henry Repeating Rifle.

That will work for me.

Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom