Any Chevelle Guys?

CoiltoSoil

Elite Member
Looking to hopefully buy a Chevelle this winter, or early spring. I've always liked the 69' body style, but the biggest engine offered in 69' was the 396, would you guys go for a 69' 396 Chevelle or try to find a 70-72' with a 454? I looked at a 69' with a 454 in it, but the car needed a lot of work so I passed, but it would have been perfect. I'm in the 15-18k range which makes it tough, I'd settle for a nice clone with SS drivetrain.

The '70 is the most sought-after year model for that generation of Chevelle. I would hold out for one of those...the right deal will come along.

I have a '71 Camaro with a 396SS engine and it is definitely no slouch but the additional cubic inches of a 454 for the same size engine would probably crank out more HP, ceteris parabus.

BUT....these days you will get more HP per cube with a modern LS engine as well as incredible gas mileage and driveability....not to mention hundreds of pounds of weight reduction over a big block. Since you're not looking for a numbers matching car, I would highly suggest this route.

The '70 is the most sought-after year model for that generation of Chevelle. I would hold out for one of those...the right deal will come along.
If you go this route, be aware that half way through '70 they started putting passenger car 402 hydraulic lifter motors in them with 396 tags. A true 396/375 was a solid lifter motor.:cool:
KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING before laying out the cash!

I have a '71 Camaro with a 396SS engine and it is definitely no slouch but the additional cubic inches of a 454 for the same size engine would probably crank out more HP, ceteris parabus.

BUT....these days you will get more HP per cube with a modern LS engine as well as incredible gas mileage and driveability....not to mention hundreds of pounds of weight reduction over a big block. Since you're not looking for a numbers matching car, I would highly suggest this route.

I was considering that, but something about those old big blocks has always drawn my attention more than the newer engines. There's not much on the market right now, I'm still waiting for something to catch my eye. What are the 71' Camaros going for nowadays? Mid 20's for a non SS big block? I do like the smaller size of the Camaro.

Actually the biggest engine you could get in a 69 chevelle was the 427 , its called a Yenko , look it up.

If you go this route, be aware that half way through '70 they started putting passenger car 402 hydraulic lifter motors in them with 396 tags. A true 396/375 was a solid lifter motor.:cool:
KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING before laying out the cash!

Thanks, I knew about the 402, but had no idea that they were throwing Hydraulic lifters in them. Any way to tell other than pulling the valve covers?

Actually the biggest engine you could get in a 69 chevelle was the 427 , its called a Yenko , look it up.

Were the Yenko's factory cars though? I thought Yenko took them in and modded them after production? I've seen a few but they are way out of my $$$ range. :D

Were the Yenko's factory cars though? I thought Yenko took them in and modded them after production? I've seen a few but they are way out of my $$$ range. :D

you could order them from a certain Pa. chevy dealer , he would put the order in to the factory (they were Supersport 396 models) he would also order the 427 high performance engines and performance suspension parts . merge the parts into the cars with special striping and badges so they were about as factory as you could get.

you could order them from a certain Pa. chevy dealer , he would put the order in to the factory (they were Supersport 396 models) he would also order the 427 high performance engines and performance suspension parts . merge the parts into the cars with special striping and badges so they were about as factory as you could get.
I bought my '70 with a 402 and yanked it out (sold it to a guy for his '67 cutlass) and built my own 427. I already had a balanced 396 forged crank and rods. Had a factory aluminum intake, 750 dual feed, closed chamber heads, and big tube Hookers in the garage too, so all I had to pick up was a 454 block, a cam, and a set of pistons. Snapped it all together and had the most fun car I ever owned. :yes:

Sorry, I hate Chevy's:lol::laughing:
Look at my avatar:D

Yea , I'm a Ford man myself. Chevrolet's are the only car that has left me stranded . I've always been able to get the old Ford going long enough to get me home . I wouldn't say I hate them , but I will look right past a Chevy at an old beat up Ford pick up anytime . :lol:

I've owned 4 Chevells and my 70 SS BB 396 was by far the best of the bunch. Others were a 70 & 71 Malibu and a 73 S3 Laguna 402 BB. Good luck on your search.

Back
Top Bottom