Anyone ever win a find of the month contest?

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Garrett, minelab, fisher, etc... Even club members! Curious to see how many have won and see some awesome finds posted on here! Please share your stories (pics too! :grin:) and experiences with the detector company and/or club your a member of! :cool:

Nothing from major publications or anything, but our local club has a "monthly finds" contest each meeting. Has to be found in the prior month. There are 8 or so categories. Oldest coin, best coin, relic, key, token, bottle, etc. Each category gets voted on and the winner of each category wins a Merc. I usually come away with a couple wins each month. :cool:

I have never actually entered a best finds contest from any of the manufacturers or publications. However, the club I'm in has a monthly show and tell for best coin, best jewelry and best whatever. In each category, first place gets a walker, second place gets a silver GW and third place gets a Merc. That runs from the March meeting until the November meeting. Then in January we bring our best finds to enter into best find of the year. The winner gets a Morgan. And in February, trophies and Morgans are handed out for most show and tell places for the past year and most first place finishes for the year. I'll be getting the trophy for most show and tell places for the year for having 15 places.:D

Garrett, minelab, fisher, etc... Even club members! Curious to see how many have won and see some awesome finds posted on here! Please share your stories (pics too! :grin:) and experiences with the detector company and/or club your a member of! :cool:
I had a "banner" find on that other metal detecting website. It was a 1785 bar cent (colonial coinage). Of course, that was before they banned me for a year for speaking my mind about the "Dent's Run Civil War gold" tall tale! LOL!

Here's a couple of pics:

Attachments

• 1785 bar cent.jpg
    1785 bar cent.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 177
  • bar cent reverse.jpg
    bar cent reverse.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 181
I've won a find of the month contest 3 or 4 times on the Kellyco web site.

Got a $50 gift certificate each time.

Thanks for sharing folks! I've never won a find of the month. Not for lack of trying though. I did make the Garrett searcher a couple times, and also the minelab once. Hoping to eventually win, was just seeing what other's experiences were on the matter, happy hunting!

I had a "banner" find on that other metal detecting website. It was a 1785 bar cent (colonial coinage). Of course, that was before they banned me for a year for speaking my mind about the "Dent's Run Civil War gold" tall tale! LOL!

Here's a couple of pics:

That has to be a very scarce coin, I've never even heard of one. REALLY cool! Most coinage from that time period always seems to be either Spanish or English at my sites. With the occasional state copper's or draped bust large cents. It is incredibly tough to find US coins earlier than the late 1700's. VERY nice find!

That has to be a very scarce coin, I've never even heard of one. REALLY cool! Most coinage from that time period always seems to be either Spanish or English at my sites. With the occasional state copper's or draped bust large cents. It is incredibly tough to find US coins earlier than the late 1700's. VERY nice find!
Thanks! I was totally clueless when I found it. Thought the 13 bar side might have been glued to a rosette or something similar. No date and no denomination on it, so I never considered that it could be a coin or a token.

Our club has six or seven categories for find of the month. First place in each category is an indian head penny. Second place is a buffalo nickel. I have garnered a number of each.

I have never actually entered a best finds contest from any of the manufacturers or publications. However, the club I'm in has a monthly show and tell for best coin, best jewelry and best whatever. In each category, first place gets a walker, second place gets a silver GW and third place gets a Merc. That runs from the March meeting until the November meeting. Then in January we bring our best finds to enter into best find of the year. The winner gets a Morgan. And in February, trophies and Morgans are handed out for most show and tell places for the past year and most first place finishes for the year. I'll be getting the trophy for most show and tell places for the year for having 15 places.:D

Showoff !!

I've won find of the month 3 times in my club. All were for jewelry. Crazy thing is, I don't go out to hunt jewelry unless I'm hunting the beach. None of my ring finds from the beach have ever won.

Haven't won a find of the month award, but two of my finds have made their way to the Garrett Newsletter.. :cool:

Last edited:
I won a carrot in find of the month 4-16 from Garrett for a 1893 Columbian Worlds Exposition Medal. Still one of my coolest finds and believe it or not it was in my own back yard--house built 1935--at a full 12in. down with AT Pro. Good luck Mark

Well, I guess my chances are slim then :laughing:
:laughing:

I haven't ever won... I guess that would require entering first. :D Now that I have a Garrett machine, though (thanks to forum member Silversmith45), I hope to someday enter Garrett's find of the month contest. You never know!

Brick & mortar clubs all used to have some sort of Find of month contest (aka show & tell portion of the meeting). With various vote systems, and people could get up and tell their bragging rights story to a find, blah blah.

But the era of brick & mortar clubs kind of came to an end in the late 1990s to early 2000's. When the internet and md'ing forums came into being, people got lazy. Now people tend to get their socializing, learning, reading, meeting up, show & tell, etc.... All from the comfort of their lazy-boy recliner in their living rooms. Clubs = R.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom