Silver's In The Light And In The Dark

jack&jill

Elite Member
Did not get out for a lot of hunting this week as I'm trying to get the gardens ready for planting. Also took two days and went fishing with my son. Still I had some very productive time in the two hunts. The first I want to say thank you, to Jeff (Cellrdwellr) for his advise for a after dark hunt. It was the first experience for me hunting stealth. It was a very good hunt but if I ever do it again I need to know the area a lot better. I tripped and stumbled my way through it, with high grass and lots of tree limbs to keep me on edge. I only dug the high tones as I did not use the backlight on the machine. Doing this I dug as if all the targets were deep. I pocketed all the digs without identifying until I got home. I only dug 18 plugs of which 8 were Wheat's, 5 Silver's with the rest clad. My total hunting time was only about a hour and 15 minutes. The second hunt took place at the park up by my son's home. It is the park that I dug the 7 coin spill at. Had about 3 hours to spend after fishing during the day. This is my forth hunt on this site and all have produced Silver. This hunt yielded 3 Rosie's and a Silver GW. The nine Silvers for the week now has me at 134 for the year. By the way we came home with our limits of walleyes on both days. HH all! Trapper

Attachments

• 5-13-18 .jpg
    5-13-18 .jpg
    175 KB · Views: 346
  • 5-13-18 1 .jpg
    5-13-18 1 .jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 5-17-18 .jpeg
    5-17-18 .jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 314
Nice job on the silvers and the walleye Trapper! I wanted to get out today but it rained all day! Hopefully I’ll get out in the morning...

Love that first photo Jack, you really did a great job for your maiden voyage at night. I really should try curb strips more often, I just feel more comfortable in parks and ballfields where there is less foot traffic, ALOT happens after the sun goes down, just saying, visibility is low so keeping a constant check on your surroundings is a must. That's just in the area I hunt anyway its very city like, and some spots are a little "sketchy". Can't wait to see what else turns up for you, good luck this week! Happy hunting :grin:

Nice job on the silvers and the walleye Trapper! I wanted to get out today but it rained all day! Hopefully I’ll get out in the morning...
Thank you Tom. Hope the weather is better for you tomorrow.
Great finds!
Appreciate your reply Vic, thank you.
That's quite a haul, congrats.
Thanks Mike, I got to go back to both sites as I know there is a lot still there.
Love that first photo Jack, you really did a great job for your maiden voyage at night. I really should try curb strips more often, I just feel more comfortable in parks and ballfields where there is less foot traffic, ALOT happens after the sun goes down, just saying, visibility is low so keeping a constant check on your surroundings is a must. That's just in the area I hunt anyway its very city like, and some spots are a little "sketchy". Can't wait to see what else turns up for you, good luck this week! Happy hunting :grin:
Thank you Jeff not only for the kind words but also for the advise. I know I will do this again but first the area needs some cleaning up before I do. Landed on my tail twice tripping over some tree limbs. I now have two more sites lined up to try this again. Both are groomed. Trapper

Not a bad week Trap.
Some dirt fishing
Some walleye fishing
And the spring crop planted ?
I don't know how you do it . 🤔
I loved night hunting a few years ago when I started work at nine am and got home at 7 pm but now I can not hardly stay awake till it gets dark enough to trip over things .
At first I started with a head lamp and stuff but after a wile I just learned to work with the moon light and your eyes do adjust .
As for any hunting grounds that make you uncomfortable... or sketchy I would just pack up and move on . You have been blessed with an amazing 6th sense Trap. I have seen you use it a few times . Trust your gut my friend. Stay safe.
The silver count now at 134 in May in Wisconsin? Amaizing!!!
, Dew

Now that’s a couple great hunts buddy. Hunting at night can be nice. I’ve noticed I’m more focused when hunting at night and sometimes do better. Congrats on the finds. Let’s see those walleye.

Thats a very good hunt!
Thank you Metal, it was a couple of hunts but they were both very good.
nice finds!
Appreciate your reply Calabash, thank you.
Productive week Trapper, congrats on the silvers, the first dig after dark and the rest!
Thanks Bruce, it really was a good week not only chasing some Silver but spending so great time with my son and his daughter. I got a awful lot to learn in after dark hunts but I sure it is something I'll do again.
Not a bad week Trap.
Some dirt fishing
Some walleye fishing
And the spring crop planted ?
I don't know how you do it . 🤔
I loved night hunting a few years ago when I started work at nine am and got home at 7 pm but now I can not hardly stay awake till it gets dark enough to trip over things .
At first I started with a head lamp and stuff but after a wile I just learned to work with the moon light and your eyes do adjust .
As for any hunting grounds that make you uncomfortable... or sketchy I would just pack up and move on . You have been blessed with an amazing 6th sense Trap. I have seen you use it a few times . Trust your gut my friend. Stay safe.
The silver count now at 134 in May in Wisconsin? Amaizing!!!
, Dew
Thank you Dew's for the kind words and the wisdom of experience. I got a couple of bruises on the shins from the limbs. Happy that for a old fellow I do heal fairly fast. The walleye fishing was for prep on a tournament out of Winniconne for my son. We did not get any real big fish but took home 20 between 18 and 23 inches. Threw back at least the same number that were smaller. Boated 5 big cats that we wished were walleyes. They really hit hard as we trolled. Trapper

Retirement is looking very good for you! Congrats on another nice haul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice finds congrats
Thank you Mark. I know I could have done better on the night outing just by staying longer. We have had a abundance of rain and then some heat and now that location is overgrown. Probably have to wait until fall before I can get another crack at it.
Now that’s a couple great hunts buddy. Hunting at night can be nice. I’ve noticed I’m more focused when hunting at night and sometimes do better. Congrats on the finds. Let’s see those walleye.
I wish I'd given a little more effort on both hunts Jason. While both were very good I feel I left a lot of targets behind. I didn't take any pictures while fishing but I think my son did. I'll ask if he will send my copies.
I can just imagine me, with my bad hip, trying to hunt a new park in the dark.
Not gonna happen.
Great finds as usual.
Appreciate your reply Rob. Have not seen your on the forum lately and was wondering how you were doing. Night hunting will take some time for me to learn. I'm very sure there will be some aches and pains in the process.
Retirement is looking very good for you! Congrats on another nice haul.
Thanks Jerry, still a few issues to deal with on the retirement but I really like having the ability to choose most of my activities I can partake in. It has been a great boom for detecting. Trapper

Good post Trapper! It's good for a guy to know he can fall down and still get up and find silver in the dark. Nice to hear about the 'eye limits too. Good livin'!

Good post Trapper! It's good for a guy to know he can fall down and still get up and find silver in the dark. Nice to hear about the 'eye limits too. Good livin'!
Kind words Foragist, thank you. You know falling down without having a few drinks can be dangerous but a least you will know if your hurt. My eyes are not those of youth. I wear magnifiers most of the time now because I'm to lazy to put them into my pocket when I'm not reading.
Congrats on the silver and walleye catches!! Sounds like you had a great weekend!
Thanks Toad, both activities are extremely fun for me. Spending time with my son and his family makes it even better.
Nice hunts Trapper!
Did you get any pictures of the fishes?
Appreciate your reply Matt. Only have pics of the Silver. I did not take any of the fish. The son did but told me they were not very good and he deleted them. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom