My Galveston trip report - maybe a bit long

whippy

The plan was to leave Dallas at 4pm on Wednesday. As usual, the wife doesn't get home when she says she is. We ended up leaving Dallas at 11:15pm. :shock:

We get to Galveston and make it to the condo by 3:45am. Having had a few RedBulls for the trip down, I decided to hit the beach after geting my wife and son settled in so no sleep for this hunter.

I hit the beach at 4:30am and get pounded by mosquitos. A quick trip to the local bait shop for some spray and I'm back on the beach by 5:10.

I worked the area pretty hard. As it got lighter, I could see evidence of the beach traffic and where people hung out, walked etc. etc. I set my BHID300 on Disc and hunted the areas pretty hard. The targets were few and far between. Bottle caps and a few pull tabs were the norm. In this particular area the sand was very firm and wet which meant to me that, if anything fell to the ground, it wasn't going to immediately dissapear. I moved up into lighter sand and hit more targets but nothing of value. I left the beach at 10:45 am with only a copper bracelet to show.

I hit the surf as well with the 300 in AM mode. I was amazed at how easy it was to run the machine in the surf. I spent about 2 hours total hunting in the water that morning.

The next morning I hit another beach. I decided to hunt this beach where the cars were parked and people got in and out of them as the previous beach had no vehicle traffic. I found some clad and the usual bottle caps etc. etc. I made a pretty good, tight search pattern in Disc and then decided to hunt the same pattern in AM. I hit some targets in AM that I missed in Disc. Could be that my loop just didn't pass over them the first time.

Anyways, I hunted the remainder of the weekend in AM but never found any gold or silver. I'd toggle back and forth between AM and Disc when I hit a target in AM as I am eager to elarn more about the sounds the BHID300 makes on certain targets. I am extremely impressed with the BHID in both the water and land. I had expressed my concern with the bouyant coil last week but found that I am able to work it pretty good in the water so there will be no weights or anything added to it. The deepest target I dug was 18 inches. It was the open pocket knife.

The take for the 4 day weekend:

Bottle caps - a bunch
pull tabs - not as many as bottle caps
coins - about $2.50
Filet knife - 1
large pocket knife with blade open - 1
medium size nail puller - 1
Fishing wieghts - 4
Aluminum cans - 6
Childs necklace pendant - 1

Since I was looking for gold and silver I dug every target whether it was a heavy signal or light signal since the targets were not as many as when I hunt locally.

I'll get my loot cleaned up and try to post a picture of it this week.

On a side note. My brother was using his Whites ID Pro and dug up a metal lid from a 5 gallon bucket at 27 inches deep. That was fun. Three feet from that hole he dug a quarter at 18 inches.

Whips

He found some other stuff but the depths of those stood out. He also presented a very good reason for being careful on a dig... a fully intact needle and seringe.

Whips... no pics? I know Galveston had to have some great sunrises and great scenery in general!

Sounds like a great trip!

Sect,

I have some pics from during the day when the wife and son were wth me on the beach but I don't have any pics from the hunts as the only camera I had on the trip was my Canon EOS 30D. You are right as the morning sunrises were pretty nice. The scattered thunderstorms presented me with a great lightening show Friday Morning.

I plan on getting a smaller digital that I can carry in a plastic bag on my hunting trips.

Sorry 'bout that.

I'll see what I can do for this weekend as I am launching a full out effort in cleaning up the swimming hole at the lake. I created a three pronged digger that will allow me to scrape up the shallow pull tabs and put them in a bag. My hopes on this deal is to pick up so many pull tabs that I get the occasional piece of gold and, as time goes by, the targets will be less pull tabs and hopefully more treasure.

Whips

... pics are like a drug on this site!

I know that's right. I am not getting much work done these days. Too busy looking at pictures, planning the next hunt, looking up equipment reviews, reading about research successes, and buying equipment.

After 26 years of it, I quit chewing tobacco over a month ago. I've been looking at these pictures for 2 weeks and I think quitting looking at treasure finds will be a lot tougher than the 26 year addicition to Levi Garret. :shock:

Thanks for the report Whips!! We see posts from my west coast and the east coast and Florida, but not allot from the Texas coast. Thanks! :cool:

I laid out my finds this afternoon after work and took pictures of them. I'll load them onto my website and put a link in this thread to them. That way I can put up the whole picture and not crop it. By doing this, you can run your mouse over the bottom right hand corner of the picture and a little thingy will pop up which will enlarge the photo to it's original size. It's like using a magnifying glass on the photo.

Whips

OK. Here is the link to the picture of my Loot gathered on this Galveston trip. Hopefully it will open a new window. The picture is very big and should be resized by your browser to fit your screen. If it does this, run your mouse over the bottom right hand corner of the picture and you'll see a thingy pop up which will allow you to see the picture in it's origianl size.

www.tempomaster.com/images/Loot1081808

Back
Top Bottom