Non-Waterproof beach metal detector for beginner

Wheeler

Wife wants a metal detector for the beach. Looking for something that works well in sand on East coast and is easy to use. Doesnt need to be waterproof. Prefer to keep it under $500. I did search, but seems most discussions are about waterproof. Any other questions, fire away! Any help is appreciated! :grin:

The older Fisher CZ detectors are a dual frequency that work great in the salt/water sand. The CZ-7, 7a, 7a-pro, and 70 are usually $3-400, have a splash proof case and a nice display screen.

Minelab's sovereign and explorer are nice units with 28 frequencies that are a step from the older Fisher CZ's. The explorer (S, XS, II, SE, and SE-PRO) feature a full display screen and can be run in an auto mode that pretty much does all the tuning for you. In fact one of the nicer models, the Explorer II, was just for sale in the used section of the forums. The guy was selling it with an 8", 10" and 12" SEF coils shipped for $500. He just got upset from a bunch of low-ball offers and decided to put it back in storage to try selling at another time. Look in the classified "archive" section and you'll see the post.

If looking for something new, Fisher's CZ-6 is available for around 6-700 if I recall correctly. Meanwhile Minelabs Safari unit is about the cheapest new model....which still has the 28 frequencies.

Used Whites DFX can likely be found for around that price. Runs stable. ID's are pretty accurate once you learn what all falls in the VDI range of the stuff you are looking for. Bought my second DFX just with quarters I found with my first DFX. It also still holds the record for my largest gold to date. And I'm mostly swinging a CTX now.;) I'm in Northeast Fl.

Id like to look at both new and used. It sounds like Whites DFX and Minelab Explorer are good used ones to consider. What new models would be comparable to these?

ETA - understand they will be higher than $500

Wife wants a metal detector for the beach. Looking for something that works well in sand on East coast and is easy to use. Doesnt need to be waterproof. Prefer to keep it under $500. I did search, but seems most discussions are about waterproof. Any other questions, fire away! Any help is appreciated! :grin:

If you are going to hunt the wet sand do not buy a single frequency machine... you want a dual or multi-frequency machine... forget prizms or coinmasters again unless you plan to stay in the dry stuff...DFX, Beachhunter, CZ20 along those lines..

If you are going to hunt the wet sand do not buy a single frequency machine... you want a dual or multi-frequency machine... forget prizms or coinmasters again unless you plan to stay in the dry stuff...DFX, Beachhunter, CZ20 along those lines..

It looks like the Beachhunter and CZ20 are both submersible. Are there any new models comparable to them you would recommend for wet sand that are not waterproof?

It looks like the Beachhunter and CZ20 are both submersible. Are there any new models comparable to them you would recommend for wet sand that are not waterproof?

Well... I use the Minelab Sovereign GT in the wet sand but you won't find one for $500 anymore... they are discontinued as well but are a very good detector for saltwater beaches... either the Beach hunter or CZ20 are good choices..

OK, Minelab Safari or Whites Beachhunter 300 (both currently available in used forum)? Or something else in this range ($500-$750) for my application?

I also use a BHID300. Pretty basic info in the lights. All metal mode is deep . Red light is iron. Yellow light is gold, pulltabs, some rotten zinc pennies, nickels,foil, etc. Green is coins except nickels. BHID and a DFX have the same inner boards. If you aren't gonna get wet, the DFX is the way to go between the two. I just use sandwich bags on my controls. I'll try and snap a picture of mine and upload at the bottom of this post if my computer will let me post pics.

Attachments

• SAM_1230.jpg
    SAM_1230.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Don't make the same mistake as me

My wife asked me too get her a metal detector too. I bought her a Fisher f2, but after her first outing she realized that sipping on wine coolers while listening to music and laying on the beach was more fun. I should of bought a cz21 instead. Or a good whites df pi to complement my vfl

Back
Top Bottom