• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Whites TDI Beachhunter

Thanks again for the info Steve! I do like hunting in the rain, I don't hunt knee deep water and beyond though so maybe a BH is not what I need... It would be nice to not worry about rain water getting into the box, then again I hunt with a Sov GT, several times in heavy rain, and never had that problem just having it hip mounted and covered up. Being able to switch head phones and coils is a nice bonus so the sl might be right up my alley.. Did you mod the batteries for you sl or is it stock?
For years used the 12v battery off ebay. It lasts 5 or 6 hours. Recently started using the higher voltage. The higher voltage doesnt go well with some coils. The 12v , the name eludes me but it's the battery company everyone raves about, is good enough

For years used the 12v battery off ebay. It lasts 5 or 6 hours. Recently started using the higher voltage. The higher voltage doesnt go well with some coils. The 12v , the name eludes me but it's the battery company everyone raves about, is good enough

Steve, do you notice any difference in stability having the coil hard wired like the BH or connector like the sl?

You are killing me, Sandcrab.

The White's rechargeable battery that comes with the TDI BH and is used with many White's machines contains 8 2200Mah NiMh cells that stay at 1.2V. 8 X 1.2 = 9.6. The chemistry of a NiMi cells will not allow for higher voltage. What voltage did you think the White's rechargeable battery had? What made you think that the battery was at a higher voltage than 9.6V?

It has already been well established that increasing the voltage on the TDI SL and BH increases depth. Read the metal detecting forums and you will see this. See the White's forum post where the White's engineer stated this fact and that TDI SL/BH can run safely at 18V. That is how I know about increasing depth. It's not some kind of mystery. It is common knowledge and it isn't hard to understand.

I have hunted several times with my TDI BH battery mod that uses 4 18650 cells and charges to 15.47V and stays at 14.4V. Read the posts above. You will see a pic of my mod and you will read a little about the results I have gotten. Just read this forum thread.

What side effects are you getting after increasing the voltage with the TDI BH? I haven't experienced any. Please be specific and state the side effects that you are experiencing. It isn't hard to do and maybe we can all learn something from what you are experiencing.

I'm adding that I did not ask about battery mods. Where do you see me asking? I was clearly asking about cells and the duration. I'm only getting 2:15 out of my battery. The conclusion was that I bought cheap cells and need to buy better ones.

9.6v and will not allow higher???… Whites factory rechargeable battery supplied with the beach-hunter (#802-5321) 11.31v at full charge/11.21v after a half hour rest/ 10.36v after 1/2 hour use/ 10.04v after an hour use. Test it yourself… 18650 battery 16.49v charged/ 15.28v after 45 minute use… Stays at 14.4? Really, you buy the cheapest batteries possible for a thousand dollar machine with barely a 2 hour runtime and are now spouting numbers… Facinating…

I am well aware what the voltage can do... Was a part of the threads that were discussing it years back on the TDI forum. But for the small gain you get with the battery can lose much more than that with the machine set up incorrectly. As for the 18v on the SL/Beach-hunter that was posted… You sure you did not mistake for which machine or was written incorrectly pertaining to the TDI or TDI Pro? Will get back to that…

I was already part of this thread, was mentioned in the first post. In fact there is a tid bit in that post.

Yea I am going to share that on a public forum, may as well state how much current can be applied to the coil TX circuit as well, maybe what coils if any worked better, headphones I am using and anything when I opened it up and checked the board I found. Does it experience the "hiccup" with more power, can the coil even handle it in real world situations, does it affect sweep speed, and if so in what way...

I have had enough questions by PM about this machine and pulse in general lately when people realized I have been using and tinkering with pulse machines for years. Which I was happy to answer until someone on this board I gave info to in confidence and he shared it with someone else. I will say this, there is a coil that has an odd glitch with it. It is the best coil I have ever used on any TDI and considering the size and shape, it did things in the real world, that on paper or theory said otherwise. I was in contact with someone in Australia and another in the US that had the same coil, same glitch. The thing is, when the machine was used in GB, 24k was a high tone. Over the months I was able to test this coil on 73 different 24k items in wet sand at 10 inches. With a bit of setup and tuning, the machine gave a high tone on 71 of them. Once you knew the setup, was the same every time. For someone that hunted mostly for high carat items, the glitch with the coil and the setup, it was doing something that supposedly could be high, low or no tone. Was an anomaly that could be used as a golden goose. But few hunt for high K so its something I know but never use. It took me months of tinkering to figure it out…

Most of your posts were asking questions about batteries. So you are wanting all the testing I have done, people I have talked to about it and tested in their facility, just post it here? So everyone can learn something? So I take the time, all the risk and money doing it and just give it all away to people I do not know?

Even the battery mod that is posted as you state everywhere, is not the best way to do it. Too many fluctuations with power… (You have hunted with trash batteries, even top shelf batteries but are getting 14.4 continuous. Want to prove that one?)

So a tip, here… Go put your machine in a cool place, put in your modded battery, keep the battery door open, turn it on and let it run. Go check it every 20 minutes, make sure you touch the plastic area around the bolt and above it. Notice anything? Put a laser temp pointer on it. That is with the door open… That leads to another issue, but someone stated on this thread did not need that either… The same with the SL, but not as pronounced...

As for the 18v you read, you willing to use it in your machine? It was posted by you, am curious what depth difference you see, more sensitive, does the threshold stay smooth? How about the coil, can it handle the power? It may even lose depth with that power. In fact it could smoke the machine. You read it, then posted it as fact. How about you testing it? Want to take that risk? I answered your questions and questioned your facts. You are quick for answers but how about you actually testing something you stated and post the results. Reminds me of the TDI board, everyone had questions but few had the answers. The ones that did put the time into actually testing it real world PMed others that tested as well. You think for one minute findings are always posted and all posts are fact?

So anyone reading this and owns the TDI beach-hunter can test the factory supplied battery for voltage. I want to see all the matching 9.6v from anyone that owns it. For all you that did the battery mod, go do the check I wrote above. I got the same result with 2 machines which leads me to believe it should happen with all… I am still trying to figure out a workaround, I may have one but still trying it out.

Finally, am anxiously waiting for your findings on running 18v.

9.6v and will not allow higher???… Whites factory rechargeable battery supplied with the beach-hunter (#802-5321) 11.31v at full charge/11.21v after a half hour rest/ 10.36v after 1/2 hour use/ 10.04v after an hour use. Test it yourself… 18650 battery 16.49v charged/ 15.28v after 45 minute use… Stays at 14.4? Really, you buy the cheapest batteries possible for a thousand dollar machine with barely a 2 hour runtime and are now spouting numbers… Facinating…

I am well aware what the voltage can do... Was a part of the threads that were discussing it years back on the TDI forum. But for the small gain you get with the battery can lose much more than that with the machine set up incorrectly. As for the 18v on the SL/Beach-hunter that was posted… You sure you did not mistake for which machine or was written incorrectly pertaining to the TDI or TDI Pro? Will get back to that…

I was already part of this thread, was mentioned in the first post. In fact there is a tid bit in that post.

Yea I am going to share that on a public forum, may as well state how much current can be applied to the coil TX circuit as well, maybe what coils if any worked better, headphones I am using and anything when I opened it up and checked the board I found. Does it experience the "hiccup" with more power, can the coil even handle it in real world situations, does it affect sweep speed, and if so in what way...

I have had enough questions by PM about this machine and pulse in general lately when people realized I have been using and tinkering with pulse machines for years. Which I was happy to answer until someone on this board I gave info to in confidence and he shared it with someone else. I will say this, there is a coil that has an odd glitch with it. It is the best coil I have ever used on any TDI and considering the size and shape, it did things in the real world, that on paper or theory said otherwise. I was in contact with someone in Australia and another in the US that had the same coil, same glitch. The thing is, when the machine was used in GB, 24k was a high tone. Over the months I was able to test this coil on 73 different 24k items in wet sand at 10 inches. With a bit of setup and tuning, the machine gave a high tone on 71 of them. Once you knew the setup, was the same every time. For someone that hunted mostly for high carat items, the glitch with the coil and the setup, it was doing something that supposedly could be high, low or no tone. Was an anomaly that could be used as a golden goose. But few hunt for high K so its something I know but never use. It took me months of tinkering to figure it out…

Most of your posts were asking questions about batteries. So you are wanting all the testing I have done, people I have talked to about it and tested in their facility, just post it here? So everyone can learn something? So I take the time, all the risk and money doing it and just give it all away to people I do not know?

Even the battery mod that is posted as you state everywhere, is not the best way to do it. Too many fluctuations with power… (You have hunted with trash batteries, even top shelf batteries but are getting 14.4 continuous. Want to prove that one?)

So a tip, here… Go put your machine in a cool place, put in your modded battery, keep the battery door open, turn it on and let it run. Go check it every 20 minutes, make sure you touch the plastic area around the bolt and above it. Notice anything? Put a laser temp pointer on it. That is with the door open… That leads to another issue, but someone stated on this thread did not need that either… The same with the SL, but not as pronounced...

As for the 18v you read, you willing to use it in your machine? It was posted by you, am curious what depth difference you see, more sensitive, does the threshold stay smooth? How about the coil, can it handle the power? It may even lose depth with that power. In fact it could smoke the machine. You read it, then posted it as fact. How about you testing it? Want to take that risk? I answered your questions and questioned your facts. You are quick for answers but how about you actually testing something you stated and post the results. Reminds me of the TDI board, everyone had questions but few had the answers. The ones that did put the time into actually testing it real world PMed others that tested as well. You think for one minute findings are always posted and all posts are fact?

So anyone reading this and owns the TDI beach-hunter can test the factory supplied battery for voltage. I want to see all the matching 9.6v from anyone that owns it. For all you that did the battery mod, go do the check I wrote above. I got the same result with 2 machines which leads me to believe it should happen with all… I am still trying to figure out a workaround, I may have one but still trying it out.

Finally, am anxiously waiting for your findings on running 18v.
Interesting about the 24k. Using gb I've been able to hit every tone possible.. also the depth loss put it on par with a good mf machine. I have so much competition that for the most part i leave everything within eq/ctx range, pertaining conditions, and just dig the deep ones.
I've found sizing, tone response, and shaping to be a better way of judging.
The 4x18650 is similar to running a laptop without a fan. It's going to get hot. But I haven't seen enough heat to do anything to the case, wires, battery, etc. If moisture is a problem I'm pretty sure a hair dryer in the battery compartment for a minute or so before closing the latch will be adequate.. haven't had to try it yet but fairly confident it will work

Last edited:
Sandcrab: I think you were talking about voltage after overcharge. I was talking about nominal voltage. That is the working voltage of a battery. As stated, the White’s battery is 9.6V. I don’t have any answers to the rest of your post. I was only talking about cells and the brand.

I will say that I’m running at 14.4V like you are. I’m not planning on going to 18V. I don’t know where you got that idea and the other assumptions and inferences you made astound me.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on battery voltages and let others research it, if they have questions. There are many websites with that information.

I continue to only be interested in battery duration. I have already done the research and have a working 14.4V battery that is working without any issues. I ordered the Panasonic 18650s and am looking forward to trying them.

Last edited:
Sandcrab: I think you were talking about voltage after overcharge. I was talking about nominal voltage. That is the working voltage of a battery. As stated, the White’s battery is 9.6V. I don’t have any answers to the rest of your post. I was only talking about cells and the brand.

I will say that I’m running at 14.4V like you are. I’m not planning on going to 18V. I don’t know where you got that idea and the other assumptions and inferences you made astound me.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on battery voltages and let others research it, if they have questions. There are many websites with that information.

I continue to only be interested in battery duration. I have already done the research and have a working 14.4V battery that is working without any issues. I ordered the Panasonic 18650s and am looking forward to trying them.
Yeti g

Hi reese. The Panasonic 18650 batteries are 4.1 or 4.2v.. in that range. 4.2v 4 = 16.8v. I charge the batteries to about 4 or 4.05v. I'm not a fan of going over 16v. There are ways to attain 14.4v but it's made especially difficult with the bh battery compartment

Hi reese. The Panasonic 18650 batteries are 4.1 or 4.2v.. in that range. 4.2v 4 = 16.8v. I charge the batteries to about 4 or 4.05v. I'm not a fan of going over 16v. There are ways to attain 14.4v but it's made especially difficult with the bh battery compartment

Thanks, Steve. I just now put my new ones on the charger. Mine are 3.7V so nominal voltage for the battery will be 14.8V. See pic below or what I have now. Anything over 3.7 with a lithium 18650 is overcharge. The cells will drop quickly, relative to the overall discharge cycle, (which is dependent on the load) to 3.7V, depending on the load. When I mentioned 14.4V nominal voltage, I was referring to 3.6V 18650s. So basically what I'm saying is that 4 X 18650 lithium cells have a nominal voltage of 14.4-14.8V. In Other words, if you have 4 X 3.6V lithium 18650 cells, you have a 14.4V battery. If you have 4 X 3.7V lithium 18650 cells, you have a 14.8V battery. The chemistry of a 18650 lithium cell doesn't allow for a nominal voltage that is higher than 3.7V.

BTW: These are slightly larger than the cheap ones I bought and they are a really tight fit in my modded case. I assume the cheap ones are under size, as 18650s should be 18mm X 65mm.

lithium.jpg

Last edited:
Ok...now your battery is moded ....is White ok warranty wise with this?

Hey SC....would a moisture packet work?

Sandcrab; So anyone reading this and owns the TDI beach-hunter can test the factory supplied battery for voltage. I want to see all the matching 9.6v from anyone that owns it. For all you that did the battery mod said:
My stock TDI Beach hunter rechargeable battery pack is 11.1 after charging.

TDI batteries

I have both the TDI SL and the TDI Beach Hunter. Both appear to have the same stock NIMH Battery #802 5321 2200mah. Voltage fresh off the stock charger 11.3 volts. Voltage after days or weeks without being used (the likely voltage at the start of a hunt) 10.49 volts.

Found a thread by Craig running your TDI beach hunter , just for you , :digginahole::digginahole::digginahole::tiphat: PS Craig bring back the voltage upgrade for the TDI , Steve needs an extra charge :lol::hammerin::newidea::newidea::newidea::newidea::thumbsup: PS Watch Dew, he can give you some tips' on extra power for your TDI :yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZs7mwIOVe0 :laughing: No Gold Slump Down South :shock:

I would be careful with the upgrade... have a friend who had to send his TDI in because of moisture intrusion... with added power comes heat then moisture..

Thank you OBN.
The standard 12" TDI coil looks like it gets a big "FAIL" in that video. How is that possible? Seems like the 7.5" was way more sensitive...at least over a target 6" deep. I wish he had tested a 6-9g gold ring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom