World's crustiest wheatie

MytBrednec

I dug this little gem today. I couldn't even tell what it was. It was penny sized and crusty, so I figured modern zinc, but it was 6-8" down in an area where I've dug plenty of wheaties. So I sprayed it with WD-40 and brushed it for a minute. Still couldn't tell for sure although I thought I could make out a bit of wreath. Got the dremel tool and fine brass brush. Sure enough, it's a crusty old wheatie. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
461b700edd4b7e234348fa45fd54a80d.jpg
944352755111f5a58daa27bd1d180954.jpg

Could it be a steel cent? Check it with a magnet. If it sticks, it'll explain the corrosion.

the photos look like copper on the edges, but that can be misleading in a photo if the lighting does that.

Cheers,

Skippy

Could it be a steel cent? Check it with a magnet. If it sticks, it'll explain the corrosion.

the photos look like copper on the edges, but that can be misleading in a photo if the lighting does that.

Cheers,

Skippy
It's definitely not magnetic and the copper color you see is accurate. When I first recognized the wreath, I thought maybe WWII steel cent, but it's copper.

It's definitely not magnetic and the copper color you see is accurate. When I first recognized the wreath, I thought maybe WWII steel cent, but it's copper.

That's some serious corrosion. And not too green either. I wonder what causes that. Maybe an elk peed on it? :) The ammonia content would corrode it over time. LOL

Cheers!

Skippy

That's some serious corrosion. And not too green either. I wonder what causes that. Maybe an elk peed on it? :) The ammonia content would corrode it over time. LOL

Cheers!

Skippy
It sounds funny, but it could very possibly be corrosion caused by urine! There easily could have been a chicken coop on the lot I was detecting.
Shawn

Ouch.... you sure that wheatie did isn't wearing a Zincoln costume for Halloween and forgot to take it off. She is toasted for sure. Betcha it's the 1909 VDB. Wouldn't that be a kick to the chops...

Ouch.... you sure that wheatie did isn't wearing a Zincoln costume for Halloween and forgot to take it off. She is toasted for sure. Betcha it's the 1909 VDB. Wouldn't that be a kick to the chops...

Of course it’s a VDB,that’s just how things go!:lol: That thing is BAKED!

I've done everything I could to pull a date off this thing. It's toasted so bad I doubt I'd know if it was a 1909! Lol

Back
Top Bottom