CZ-21 broke

Arrowhead

Hey everyone, i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figured because some of you have Cz's that someone might be able to answer my question. I was gone for 10 weeks for training in the Army and this past weekend I wanted to metal detect the beach but when I tried to turn on the CZ it wouldn't start. I opened up the battery compartment and it looked like some of the batteries had leaked, and it smelled like burnt plastic when I opened it. These were brand new batteries that were in it before I left so I don't see why they would leak. My question is if there was a malfunction with the seal would a little salt water leaking in cause this? The machine is only a few months old and I had only used it once in salt water the week before I left. Also, do you think Fisher would repair something like this? Thank you all for taking the time to read this and any help would greatly be appreciated

First of all salt water might or might not have caused it. Are the batteries name brand like Energizer or Duracell?

They have warranties that cover things they destroy. Second can you clean the battery holder off and try new batteries and if you can what happens?

Third call Felix at First Texas. They may or may not cover battery damage and with their experience they will know what probably went wrong.

Does your machine show ANY sign of water getting in it?

Thank you for serving our country!

Where was it stored while you were away?

Is the battery lead rusted at all. What about the battery holder? Usually it takes very little salt water to rust the lead and that will cut your power right away. If it's new you have a 2 year warranty but give the Fisher guy's a call first.

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. To answer some of your questions, the batteries were Energizer, I haven't had the chance to try new batteries on it because the initial batteries were so messed up that when I took them off of the battery holder the tops of them were stuck to the holder and came right off of the batteries themselves. The metal detector was stored in a carry case under my bed in my room in room temperature. The batteries and holder looked pretty rusted to me.
Here's some pictures of the damage after I had cleaned up most of the organish liquid that was in it when I initially opened it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It looks like water got inside. I do NOT think they will cover it. A new battery holder will set you back 40.00 HOWEVER, you are serving our country just like I did back in the 1970's.

PM me your address and I will send you a battery holder AND a new battery gasket free of charge. See if that works and thank you for your service!!

If that doesn't work you will have to send the unit back in for repair.

wow

It looks like water got inside. I do NOT think they will cover it. A new battery holder will set you back 40.00 HOWEVER, you are serving our country just like I did back in the 1970's.

PM me your address and I will send you a battery holder AND a new battery gasket free of charge. See if that works and thank you for your service!!

Awesome! :grin: Four thumbs up!

Scuba you are a good man.

Awesome!

I used to work at energizer... I blame the batteries.. Now I use duracell.... Even energizer knows duracell performs better... They test all the leading brands against there own and duracell is always on top... On some battery types even rayovac gets longer service out of their batteries than energizer...

Nice going SD, you are a true gentleman and a scholar.

To the OP, it does look like water intrusion to me. I "do" use a lite coat silicone grease on my battery cover gasket and I only tighten the screws with a dime. I have found that I can't over tighten and smash the gasket using a dime as it will hurt my thumb and finger first. That has worked for many years with a CZ for me. I hope the water intrusion stayed in the battery compartment and no repairs will be required

Ouch. Hard to tell what would have caused it, but wouldn't battery acid eat the foam in the picture? I think it was probably salt water intrusion and the detector ran with the water sloshing for a few mins, or maybe a portion of the hunt.

Did you ever water test in a bucket of fresh water before hunting? When you get your gasket from scuba (cheers to you sir) put the new gasket in and close it up without the batteries then submerge it in the bottom of a bucket of fresh water for at least 2 hrs. My concern is that you have to rule out the chance of any cracks in the housing itself before you take it out again.

Scuba, thank you so much, I'm speechless by your kindness. Caribbeanson, I had used it in a fresh water lake twice before I used it the first time in the ocean. I will try that suggestion, thanks for the tip

Right on SD!!

Arrow, I will ALWAYS open my water machine up after a hunt and pull the battery pack. No matter how tired or busy I am, I make time to do it, especially after NOT doing it and having similar issues.

I had put brand new batteries (but an OFF BRAND) into my MD and went for a hunt. Did about 5 hours and headed home. For some reason, I don't know why, I neglected to open the MD and remove the battery pack. Three days later, I open the unit and discovered that one of the 8 AA's had leaked and there was no sign of water intrusion. I cleaned up the box and battery compartment, replaced the battery lead and battery holder and now I ALWAYS open and inspect the unit after every submersion hunt and remove the battery pack and clean the gasket.

Thanks for your service! Hope it all turns out OK for you.

Very nice scuba.

QUOTE=ScubaDetector;1811942]It looks like water got inside. I do NOT think they will cover it. A new battery holder will set you back 40.00 HOWEVER, you are serving our country just like I did back in the 1970's.

If that doesn't work you will have to send the unit back in for repair.[/QUOTE]

Gasket, battery holder and a container of silicone is on its way. I sure hope this fixes your toy. I have put a little silicone on the gasket for you to show you how much you need. Not much at all. Just make it look wet.

Good luck!!!

Robert

Back
Top Bottom