Underwater without headphones

Front242

Sorry if this is a stupid question--I am a newbie; or if this has been asked before. I searched around and couldn't find an answer to my question:

since water is a good sound conductor, can one use detectors, specifically Tesoro Sand Shark or Fisher CZ-21, while hunting underwater or snorkeling, without wearing headphones? If so, do I still need to wear them around the neck, or is there a way to leave them onshore and use a built-in speaker (assuming the SS and CZ-21 have one)? Thanks!

You have to wear the hdphones the detectors you mentioned are hard wired without external speakers. HH Phil

Sound travels well in water, but our ears don't seem to pick up vibrations as well underwater, which is why underwater headphones are normally extremely loud if you don't have a volume control.

It's possible to cut the headphone cable and wire an LED light to light up whenever you would normally hear a beep, which may or may not solve your problem.

Most waterproof machines don't have an external speaker.

Why are you against wearing headphones?

Thanks, Phil! Is it possible to wear the headphones around the neck (or maybe even on a waist belt), in particular while snorkeling or diving, and still be able to hear the tones using water as a sound conductor?

Crumble, thank you for the explanation. I am not necessarily against wearing headphones, I just think it might be a little awkward to swim with them on. Also, I would like to be able to hear approaching boats or jet skis while snorkeling.

Crumble, thank you for the explanation. I am not necessarily against wearing headphones, I just think it might be a little awkward to swim with them on. Also, I would like to be able to hear approaching boats or jet skis while snorkeling.

You will be moving pretty slow when metal detecting underwater, and I imagine using flippers on your feet for movement, so the headphones should stay put.

CZ21 is silent search, don't have to listen to a threshold for hours at a time. :D

The only problem you may have with headphones around neck, is hearing deep targets which are very faint/quiet on most detectors. CZ21 has a signal boost which makes all targets ring up very loud, which may solve that problem.

Last edited:
Good question! I've been wondering the same thing. What about the AT Pro? Don't want to fork out the money for waterproof earphones!

There's really not much "swimming" involved in detecting underwater(Scuba or snorkeling). You are basically just going to be crawling or walking along the bottom by propelling yourself by direct contact with the tips of your toes in the sand/mud. No fins are necessary, nor would they be very useful and would probably just get in the way and reduce your visibility.

I snorkel with my Sand Shark all the time, I never wear the headphones. Just turn the volume to max and you hear it with out a problem, and I am hard of hearing! You have not asked, but try to get your hands on a weight belt, it helps a ton!!!

The Aqua Pulse has an optional Bonephone.

http://www.aquapulseusa.com/products/

I was going to reply that they need to make a MD with a bonephone setup and then saw your post. Makes sense for divers, might be good on wet sand too. Take off those cheap Excal headphones and sport a bonephone. I used to think a bonephone was something you called your girlfriend on. Then I read about them.

Once the headphones fill with water the sounds are different anyway, they seem alot more muffled...I always wear my headphones, it's the only way to hear the very slight signals...

Made this before for Scott who dives, for his Excalibur.

And I have experimented with making a underwater piezo speaker, have video some where. I placed it on one side of the pool and could hear it on the other, Best was from the 20 foot side and could be heard very well. The SPL was 117db's up close with the meter...single stock Koss yellows are around 93db up close. I ended up putting the piezo speaker into some Skullies, the tones are bad, hi end, but they are very loud.

Attachments

• OBN0032.jpg
    OBN0032.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 659
All right guys, this is ridiculous. Every time I think I'm set for a while on spending more money on this hobby, someone comes up with another item I need to buy. JK. The site really doesn't tell you what the bonephone does or how it works.

The bone is actually old, some of the old Garrett PI underwater detectors were the first I know of that had them. It's just a single piezo in a plastic container that can be slipped under the mask, hood or strapped to the shoulder. Often a very small piezo around 20mm which the smaller they are the higher the frequencies, pitch.

Back
Top Bottom