Excal vs Sov. GT - Head to head

I used to swing my GT 100% of the time. I noticed a real difference with the small 8" coil over the 10" and the larger coils I own. Those large coils I was using were good and they seemed deep but hard to quickly PP and dig. In the water on Atlantic beaches you have to PP and dig fast. That small coil hit hard on any target including deep ones and targets next to iron. It was equally deep to my 12" Sunray. Some might say it is too small. I was told I needed a larger coil by another hunter. (you know who you are) :lol: Then I continued to find gold. :laughing: Guys hunting in the rocks like Craig should be using the small coil all the time. I am certain of this.

Guys, the small Excal/Sov coil is hot. I can swing it in the water where other guys with larger coils struggle. I can swing it for a long time without fatigue. The main thing is I can swing it faster in the water than other guys. A faster swing causes the coil amp to raise the amplification to the head phones. Too slow on the BBS coils is bad. You will miss a lot. I have read a lot of bad information saying you have to swing slow with the BBS machines. I found that to be wrong. A slow swing on a BBS coil is not good. A too fast swing might be but in the water you need to move the coil. Tried and true.

I prefer big coils... my gold count has doubled this year from last... I am dead on PPing with the larger coils... when one has a large scoop PPing is irrelevant anyway :lol: I guess I feel my GT 10" Tornado is my small coil after using the 12 inch Dual Field coil for years :D

As to swinging the coil.... I almost never swing it as slow as they suggest... if one swings a little too fast then the detector will null and you can go back over the spot to see what the target is... the secret to finding deep stuff is knowing what to listen for and when to dig targets that bleed through nulls.. I always increase my swing speed over a null listening for a few directions.. lots of coins that are heavily corroded will at times give a junk signal...

If your miniature coils works for you, more power to ya :laughing:

Last edited:
I started with an exal. Recently got a Sov GT, Kept it for about 2 months. I did enjoy it and found it deeper and the sounds sharper however to me it just wasn't fun sticking to the wet sand and even shallow water if I saw a good looking spot in the deeper water. I didn't like that I couldn't go check it out. Also I had to worry about the rain. I guess putting a waterproof box would have helped but I'm doing fine with my xcal.

I used to swing my GT 100% of the time. I noticed a real difference with the small 8" coil over the 10" and the larger coils I own. Those large coils I was using were good and they seemed deep but hard to quickly PP and dig. In the water on Atlantic beaches you have to PP and dig fast. That small coil hit hard on any target including deep ones and targets next to iron. It was equally deep to my 12" Sunray. Some might say it is too small. I was told I needed a larger coil by another hunter. (you know who you are) :lol: Then I continued to find gold. :laughing: Guys hunting in the rocks like Craig should be using the small coil all the time. I am certain of this.

Guys, the small Excal/Sov coil is hot. I can swing it in the water where other guys with larger coils struggle. I can swing it for a long time without fatigue. The main thing is I can swing it faster in the water than other guys. A faster swing causes the coil amp to raise the amplification to the head phones. Too slow on the BBS coils is bad. You will miss a lot. I have read a lot of bad information saying you have to swing slow with the BBS machines. I found that to be wrong. A slow swing on a BBS coil is not good. A too fast swing might be but in the water you need to move the coil. Tried and true.

I have the 8 inch on both my Excal and GT. I agree it hits hard and deep. I had a DF for a while and though I wasn't experienced with it I feel the GT with an 8 inch coil is at least comparable on my beaches.

Good advice on the swing speed too. I think you are right. If Im getting a null with a half chirpy signal I end up going over it at different speeds and angles trying to get a repeatable signal. If I can, I dig it.:yes::D

I prefer big coils... my gold count has doubled this year from last... I am dead on PPing with the larger coils... when one has a large scoop PPing is irrelevant anyway :lol: I guess I feel my GT 10" Tornado is my small coil after using the 12 inch Dual Field coil for years :D

As to swinging the coil.... I almost never swing it as slow as they suggest... if one swings a little too fast then the detector will null and you can go back over the spot to see what the target is... the secret to finding deep stuff is knowing what to listen for and when to dig targets that bleed through nulls.. I always increase my swing speed over a null listening for a few directions.. lots of coins that are heavily corroded will at times give a junk signal...

If your miniature coils works for you, more power to ya :laughing:

I sold my 15" sov coil to Crumble. I think he's been finding all his gold with it.:shock:

I sold my 15" sov coil to Crumble. I think he's been finding all his gold with it.:shock:

After I recoup some money I will buy a SEF 10x12 as fsa46 loves his... between a brake job $660 then the brake lines $880 and lastly the fuel lines $1000 toys can wait :lol:

That coil found the bridal set. :D

My Sovereign is out of commission while I waterproof it, my Lipo battery doesn't quite fit under the battery lid, so have to finish the waterproof box before I use it again... and I've been lazy. :D

After I recoup some money I will buy a SEF 10x12 as fsa46 loves his... between a brake job $660 then the brake lines $880 and lastly the fuel lines $1000 toys can wait :lol:

Man if I lived there I would have done all that for you.... for a copy of your treasure map :D

I use my 12" SEF on my DFX in iron. Someone with a sov can't see what coils are doing by numbers. May be different where you are? But after running the 12" in an area with my DFX. Then running the 10" tornado on the sovereign over the same area, I could see how much better the SEF separates targets. It sold me on them anyways! If you get an iffy signal you can wiggle the coil a little side to side. May be different in your sand. But doesn't sound like it if Frank is sold on one.

Hmm, not sure how the DF came into discussion, it has both the small and big coil in one. The small coil is what I've found more gold with and the big coil is what I've found more silver with. The DF is the most sensitive detector I've used at the beach, easily.

Yes I do.

I offered to let him try my SEF on one of our hunts but he doesn't like using other peoples equipment.

Can you imagine all the gold he's finding with the 10" Tornado, now he'll go over the same area with the SEF and get what he missed. Might as well sell all our machines because there won't be anything left to find.:lol:

Last edited:
The 10 x 12 SEF is a very nice coil. I know everybody has their favorite coil, but the 10 x 12 is something on the Sovereign.

Man if I lived there I would have done all that for you.... for a copy of your treasure map :D

How much would you have charged me? Garages around here charge $110 an hour, dealers $118 to $130... its cheaper going to the doctor :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom