Same park - another dime trifecta and new oldest coin

borispriva

Elite Member
Went with AndreyNY to the park I pulled about 30 newer silvers from plus couple of Barbers and Indians.
We tried some new areas (the park is huge) without much success and returned to my little silver spot.
Of course Andrey outscored me with the number of silver coins (he always does), but I did pretty well too – so I’d say we are pretty even this time. 

First of all – I scored another dime trifecta from the same park – 1914 barber, 1923 mercury and 1947 Rosie. You can read about the first one here - http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=191026
Later on I found two more silver coins and couple of pieces of jewelry (first from this park) – 40s or 50s religious pendant and absolutely beautiful and definitely old small heart shaped silver pendant with hand carved bird on it.

Here is the picture of my silver loot for the day.

And here is the pendant.

This park was definitely cherry-picked before. I found a lot of wheat cents over there and about 15 Buffalos, but not that many silvers. This time I dug all nickel signals hopping for Buffalos, but didn’t get a single one – all late 40s and early 50s Jeffersons – 18 of them. The total clad count was about eight bucks. I also found 1880 Indian - very toasted, so - no picture.

Later in the day I found my second for this park New York Landmarks pin – in the very good shape. A lot of colors here.

And then...
I always had an impression that this place was a field long time ago - way before the park, but I was totally surprised when I pulled out my first colonial buckle (well – damaged part of it) :) and something that I believe was the part of old horse harness.

But it was my next find that completely blow me away – at nine inches I found my oldest coin - George II Half Penny (minted from 1729 to 1739).
The coin is in the great shape – I saw some here, they are usually very toasted. This one has a lot of details and looks great.
The only problem is – it is damaged by someone long time ago. According to Andrey – someone was trying to make a ring out of this coin. And completely destroyed the date.

I – kind of – agree with him. Look at the picture of the modern coin on the way to become a ring – a lot of similarity, right?
Anyway – take a look and let me know – what happened to this beautiful coin in your opinion?

You did real good with the shiny Boris and that George is in superb shape,too bad no date.

Very Good Boris... It's Phil. I do a lot of hunting with Andrey and he always scores with the silver. Hope to see you and hunt with you soon...WTG on the digs...

The Ghost
Philo

You did real good with the shiny Boris and that George is in superb shape,too bad no date.

Tom, thanks to a friend - now it looks like we can figure out the date on this coin.
See you one day at the famous spot. :)

Back
Top Bottom