• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Max Unboxing and First Impressions

Nebu

I made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUE3qB_CnM8

#1 reason to upgrade from the pro in my opinion is this thing finds ALL sorts of things that the AT PRo was not finding. I've gone over this area like 30x and once I switched to the AT Max, it found all sorts of additional things that the AT Pro was missing. It's like buying 100s of more chances to win.

Audio: Getting used to the audio vs. the AT Pro is hard. It got easier day two, but I feel like the silver range is less satisfying than the AT Pro sounds. I also feel like I know less about what each target is. I had it down with the AT Pro. I'm sure that will change with more experience.

Other notes:

Pros over the Garret AT Pro
=Z-Link wireless headphones. That before was alone a $125+ upgrade with the headphones. For 5 years I've been tripping on my annoying headphone cord. The headphones are rechargeable too.
=back-light. I've been using a headlamp that I shine on my unit. This version is way better. It does eat up more battery though. I do almost all my digging at night and this thing is doing great at night.
=Volume control built in. Before you have to use your headphones which is hit and miss. This feature delayed the release of the unit for months but most agree it was worth waiting for.
=Better ground balance. This makes this unit better than the Garrett AT Pro in mineralized locations and the BEACH. I don't know about you but my AT Pro sucked at the beach. I never found anything except in the dry sand. That's a huge reason to upgrade. Supposedly it's better at the beach but we'll see.
=Better depth. The AT MAX does much better in comparisons of finding depth targets. It's find all sorts of targets my AT Pro missed in heavy trash area parks.
=Free Hat, awesome!
=LARGER VDI numbers. Much better. It's hard to see the numbers on the AT PRO sometimes.
=Better rubberized hand grip instead of the foam or whatever it is other one from AT Pro/Gold.

I made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUE3qB_CnM8

#1 reason to upgrade from the pro in my opinion is this thing finds ALL sorts of things that the AT PRo was not finding. I've gone over this area like 30x and once I switched to the AT Max, it found all sorts of additional things that the AT Pro was missing. It's like buying 100s of more chances to win.

Can you give more information about these new finds vs the ATP? Were they 'bad' signals that became 'good' signals with the ATMax or were they simply not there with the ATP and you were able to pick them up with the Max. I would consider a 'bad' signal say an iron signal that with the Max became 'good' because you were able to pick up the iron and the coin due to faster recovery speeds.

BCD

quote: Can you give more information about these new finds vs the ATP? Were they 'bad' signals that became 'good' signals with the ATMax or were they simply not there with the ATP and you were able to pick them up with the Max.

I'm in TRASHY park areas where there's tons of pull tabs, foil, iron and discarded !!!! from people eating lunch.

It's a mix of both.

DEEP TARGETS: The At Max was finding deep targets that the AT Pro wasn't really finding with a clear signal. I found maybe 10 good deep targets in 4 hours the AT Pro had missed a good 2-10x. They were seriously deep too.

Picking out good targets. I did many many many laps through an area with the AT PRO looking for any decent "silver" signal. But once I took the AT max one time through, it found all sorts of new ones in two different locations either because of the new ground balance or depth.

As far as clad goes, I found $10 more of clad in a small area that I considered mined out to give you an idea.

Next the AT Max was doing a great job of finding good targets in between lots of trash that didn't show up with the the AT Pro. but now the AT Max is able to pick them out of the crowd of trash.

quote: Can you give more information about these new finds vs the ATP? Were they 'bad' signals that became 'good' signals with the ATMax or were they simply not there with the ATP and you were able to pick them up with the Max.

I'm in TRASHY park areas where there's tons of pull tabs, foil, iron and discarded !!!! from people eating lunch.

It's a mix of both.

DEEP TARGETS: The At Max was finding deep targets that the AT Pro wasn't really finding with a clear signal. I found maybe 10 good deep targets in 4 hours the AT Pro had missed a good 2-10x. They were seriously deep too.

Picking out good targets. I did many many many laps through an area with the AT PRO looking for any decent "silver" signal. But once I took the AT max one time through, it found all sorts of new ones in two different locations either because of the new ground balance or depth.

As far as clad goes, I found $10 more of clad in a small area that I considered mined out to give you an idea.

Next the AT Max was doing a great job of finding good targets in between lots of trash that didn't show up with the the AT Pro. but now the AT Max is able to pick them out of the crowd of trash.

$10 in clad.
What were the predominant denominations of the coins found?
$10 in pennies is an awful lot of coins left behind in a small spot for example.

Also when you say deep, please give us an idea of just how deep generally in inches.

Sounds like you were digging the "iffy" deeper targets as you learned the tones of the max, but targets that AT PRO could definitely find, if you were willing to dig the "bad" tones, IMO

"the At Max was finding deep targets that the AT Pro wasn't really finding with a clear signal."

Metal detectors don't find anything, (just like a hammer doesn't build a house) they alert us to "something" metal... we use our own processing and efforts to dig and find the target, hence why I said sounds like you were giving the max a more fair shake by digging targets you wouldn't with the at pro that it "wasn't really finding"

Just sayin

AT Max depth

I searched a site with my Garrett Ace 350 and found 42 coins over 3 hunts. I got a nice used AT Pro while waiting for my AT Max to ship. I found 17 more coins and 1 silver quarter with it in just one hunt same site. I finally got my Max and got 7 more coins that the other detectors didn't reach at the same site. There's definitely a depth difference with the AT Max. 2" to 3"in my area. 90 to 93 GB. in my area of NY. For my Max to run smooth in all metal I can usually run full sensitivity or one to two bars from it with the threshold at -4 without loosing any depth. I found that good ground balancing is also key. The AT Max is a real upgrade from the AT Pro.

$10 in clad.
What were the predominant denominations of the coins found?
$10 in pennies is an awful lot of coins left behind in a small spot for example.

Also when you say deep, please give us an idea of just how deep generally in inches.

These answers would be helpful. I am buying this machine anyway but, please give detail on this. Always helpful...

Back
Top Bottom