price of alkaline 9 volt batteries?

fjlee

The last time I bought 9v alkaline batteries, I got them from Walgreens. They were marked "Walgreen". I paid $2.88, including tax, for a 6 pak of batteries. That's 48 cents each.

These have been good alkaline batteries, as good as any I've used.

OK.....so I've used 'em up, and was overall pleased with them. I got a shock when I went to buy new ones!! This includes pricing them at several locations. They all ran over $3 per battery by the 6-pak. Single 9v batteries were close to $4 each!!!

Is that the current going price for 9v alkaline batteries?

I'm not interested in re-chargeables.

What are other folks paying? From what store?

Thanks, folks....

FjLee Denver,CO

About half of my detectors use 9 volt batteries. I lucked out and talked to the one changing them in the smoke alarms at our apartments. He gave me some of the used ones. They test almost full charged and work fine in my detectors. It has saved me a bundle. Now if I could only find a source for AA's.
Batteries.jpg

If I needed to buy today, I'd go with the 12-pack of Duracell Procells at $1.35 each.

But I don't need to buy today, so I can leisurely stroll past the displays at supermarkets and hardware stores checking for clearance sales. Still working through two 8-packs of Rayovacs I found last year at under a buck a battery.

Do the Pro Cells work as well as Energizers?

I can buy the 12 pack at work for 12.60...if they're good I may get those when I'm out of Energizers

I use nothing but Energizer Ultimate Lithiums anymore for any battery powered product. Usually buy them on Amazon much cheaper than local. Like 60% or more cheaper. They won't leak and last MUCH longer in a wider range of temps.

Do the Pro Cells work as well as Energizers?

Pro Cells are a cheaper (industrial) version of the standard battery. But usually can't tell much difference in life in my experience. Maybe barely shorter. But Pro Cells and Duracells are very prone to leaking and fairly short shelf life.

For 9V batteries I used to get the Sunbeam ones at Dollar Tree but I was burning through them quickly. I switched to rechargeable EBL 600 mAh lithium ion 9V's and never looked back. 4 of them plus a charger can be had for less than $20. I do still keep a pack of Sunbeam 9V's in the car at all times just in case. For AA's I use Kirkland alkalines from Costco. I don't know the current price per battery there though. They seem to last forever in my TRX pinpointer. For my Etrac battery pack I use rechargeable AA's.

I use nothing but Energizer Ultimate Lithiums anymore for any battery powered product. Usually buy them on Amazon much cheaper than local. Like 60% or more cheaper. They won't leak and last MUCH longer in a wider range of temps.

Pro Cells are a cheaper (industrial) version of the standard battery. But usually can't tell much difference in life in my experience. Maybe barely shorter. But Pro Cells and Duracells are very prone to leaking and fairly short shelf life.

Never had these issues.

I've found regular Duracell or Energizer alkalines to be the best, longest lasting. I've tried cheaper brands and found them to not last as long. I mostly use Duracells.

I buy them in large packs, use them for one or two trips, then use whatever they have left for other purposes. I like to use fresh batteries every time I go out if possible, especially if I plan to be out for a long time.

One other important thing I do is make sure I remove all batteries from the electronics when not in use, because they will draw and shorten the life of the batteries considerably if left in between trips.

Back
Top Bottom