Junk and other items what do you do with it?

BeeaCrab

Hey there everyone!
I have been detecting a good bit lately and I was wondering about your bad finds. I have found a significant amount of metal that is useless. So needless to say my pile of useless items is getting quite high and it’s things that are rusted for some and others aren’t but I was wondering about recycling. Do you guys take your items to a recovery center for a bit of cash or just pitch it in the trash? I would think are a while we are going to be overwhelmed with junk and just throw it out if I don’t take it to the recycle center soon. But there’s a good bit of iron, steel, brass, and of course aluminum.

Just keep saving in seperated buckets it until you have enough to cash in at the scrap yard

I have a mixed recycling bin that goes out to the curb every week. They get my aluminum, iron, pot metal, and some unknowns. The trash bin gets the really rusty, corroded junk. I keep the brass, copper, stainless steel, and lead in a mixed keeper junk bucket, with unique items and any junk jewelry pieces, for bling factor. My "keeper junk" bucket is clear, and almost full now. It's going to either be sold at auction, or donated to a scrap metal drive for charity.
Then, of course, there are some finds that are kept as useful items, collectibles, etc.

I put it in buckets for recycling. Brass, copper, stainless steel are about the only things valuable enough to hoard(unless you have alot of room) until metal prices go back up. Reminds me i need to clean out the garage and get rid of any extra steel scrap that has accumulated.

Wait, you guys don't just re-bury or throw your junk by the base of the nearest tree?

Madness. Taking all that junk home with you like Fred Sanford...:roll:

Brass, copper, lead and aluminium go into buckets which I take to the scrap yard every now and then. Everything else junk related goes in the recycling bin, (if it's too dirty and crusty it goes in the normal bin).

I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket on the back of my truck. I keep it strapped to one side which has been working fine until now. Apparently it came loose today.

9e7b75595060c38d6eee84eb67b014d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save the brass and copper. A few yrs ago, copper was selling for 4 dollars a pound and brass for 2 dollars a pound.

I would advise to not get tunnel vision regarding scrap metal...Sure, we keep all the scrap brass and copper and lead to earn a bit of money, but the really big bills is in the ancillary bycatch! Yeah, all sorts of valuables that are not metal laying around all over the place if a guy keeps his eyes open while out detecting!

If you cant eat or drink it, haul it home and sell it! I've made more easy money eyeballing and scarfing up bycatch than on any detecting finds! Jackets, shoes, empty cans, whatever might have a value on the market!! Keep an open mind and go out hunting...be an opportunist...

Honorable mention: This leather chair set out on the curb for the garbage man...Eyeballed it on the way home from a hunt! It retailed New for $1100! Not a thing wrong with it except for a wobbly swivel base which I fixed with an Allen wrench and a screwdriver in about 5 minutes..popped it up on CL and had it sold by Noon!:laughing: Yeah, I'll eat a roadkilled turkey even..

Attachments

• brad young-1.jpg
    brad young-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 592
  • july 12-15.jpg
    july 12-15.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 590
  • turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 999
  • turkey2.jpg
    turkey2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,059
Save the brass and copper. A few yrs ago, copper was selling for 4 dollars a pound and brass for 2 dollars a pound.
Back around 2011. The price of PM’s went through the roof too.

Today’s copper price av in USD is about $3/lb.

I save all my metal junk, and at the end of the year bring it in to a metal recycling center. Last year's 6 lbs of junk metal got me just over $20! :clapping:

I would advise to not get tunnel vision regarding scrap metal...Sure, we keep all the scrap brass and copper and lead to earn a bit of money, but the really big bills is in the ancillary bycatch! Yeah, all sorts of valuables that are not metal laying around all over the place if a guy keeps his eyes open while out detecting!

If you cant eat or drink it, haul it home and sell it! I've made more easy money eyeballing and scarfing up bycatch than on any detecting finds! Jackets, shoes, empty cans, whatever might have a value on the market!! Keep an open mind and go out hunting...be an opportunist...

Honorable mention: This leather chair set out on the curb for the garbage man...Eyeballed it on the way home from a hunt! It retailed New for $1100! Not a thing wrong with it except for a wobbly swivel base which I fixed with an Allen wrench and a screwdriver in about 5 minutes..popped it up on CL and had it sold by Noon!:laughing: Yeah, I'll eat a roadkilled turkey even..
attachment.php
attachment.php

Nice turkey! :turkey:

Back
Top Bottom