Digging Deep Targets...

Yes and no, if your worried about target ID yes, if you want to dig the deep one's in bad soil you can forget about ID and go manual sensitivity.
More depth defo in my soil running manual.

With FBS in mineralized soil, it also depends if you are using auto or manual sensitivity. Some people ONLY use manual sensitivity. In tough soil that can be a mistake. On the Etrac (maybe CTX, not sure), manual and auto sensitivity are handled differently. FBS scans the return signal on 3 separate channels, high, medium and low. In auto sens., the 3 channels are individually set to different levels in order to overcome high mineralization, hot rocks, etc, In manual sens., all 3 channels are set to the same level and aren't able to cut through tough soil as well as auto sens. Manual may go deeper in clean soil, but will suffer in bad soil.

So keep this in mind when reading of some Etrac users struggling in tough soil more than other Etrac users do.

When not hunting public places, I use my Lesch relic shovel.

I see a lot of folks using the mini, but I like a good piece of steel when out hunting. Its heavy, but nothing weak about it. Can not tell how disappointing it is to get out and away from people and something breaks. Weight is a factor here in our triple digit heat. Health issues always a concern. In parks I use my garret bag as a man purse and keep my lesche hand digger and pin pointer in there with the finds. Didnt take me long to ruin the plastic zipper but have lost nothing out of the bag yet. Get your comfort zone going and hope this helps.

Tell you one thing. If your site is old, dig the deep sounds. You got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

AT Pro doesn't do deep targets......:laughing:

It can find some fairly deep targets in non junky areas. Most of my best spots have a lot of iron which skews the signal and limits the depth but I have found some deep coins in less junky areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't trust the VDI on those really deep targets, any real deep whisper signals that comes in above iron should be dug. The parks in my area I only dig the deep whisper signals to avoid modern coins and trash as all the old silver coins left are at 10"+ deep, if the detector is barely picking up the target it's not going to give you the correct VDI or tones for the most part. Good headphones are a must for the really deep targets. HH

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom