• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cleaning new dollars?

SalemDan

Ok, got the borax. Got the ammonia, and the gravel. (Although the local crushed rock still turned my coins grey and had to buy the aquarium gravel) Got Dawn dish soap. Got CLEAN coins, Woo Who! Now, I've got a bunch of dirty modern dollar coins - Sacagawea - presidential series... Do I clean those with the pennies or the clad? According to the US mint it is copper core with manganese brass finish coating. So, they're all black right now and never enough to tumble alone. I accidentally included a James Madison dollar with a pile of clad and it seems ok - can't remember how worn it was before hand because I didn't realize it was mixed in, but does now have signs of wear. Any suggestions?

I found several dollar coins in my clad that I cleaned by tumbling and they looked fine, I didn't realize they were in there so cleaning them with the clad works. :lol:

Spray paint em gold.

OK, I'm spraying them. But when my wife gets a look at the dinning room table all goldish on one end, I'm telling her it was the idea of someone named metaladdict! Come to think of it, that may not be the strongest argument I've ever made... :laughing:

Try them with just the gravel and soap and a teaspoon of ammonia...Let us know...

Some of the less tarnished ones I've been able to polish up to spend with one of those little jewelry polishing cloths...Most of the ones I find are fresh drops in totlots... I found 2 on Sat...I have gotten them out of the water all discolored and some out of the dirt, but the ones that dont shine up easily get runt through the Coinstar with the rest of the dirties...

Back
Top Bottom