GPS Cache A little Different This Time.

Silversmith45

Elite Member
I was disappointed with my the last cache that I buried. I don't believe that the coins were found by members of this forum. While I know anyone can read this, I would like to see them post it when they do find a cache. Also I discovered a number of unfilled holes near where I hid them. That's why I don't believe it was forum members who found them. This time I will be hiding a 40% silver half.
68H.gif
68H2.gif
This time if you want to look for it (I haven't buried it yet) you need to send me a PM and I will send you the coordinates. I will bury it sometime this week-end. This way I will have an idea who is looking for it and know if there is still any interest in these hunts. You can send a PM anytime and I will reply as soon as I bury the coin.

Great idea Silversmith with the PM thing. :thumbsup:

It is too bad that we have to revert to this because some people are not man enough to post that they have found the cache. These caches were put out there and posted on this forum for everyone that has a detector to participate in and have a little fun in trying to find something that you know is there. All that we asked, was they at least posted on the forum that they found the cache so we could continue on with more hides. Not too much to ask, just a little respect and common courtesy to everyone.

It is really an insult to our hobby, as well as to the general public that some people lack the ethics in leaving no trace of where they have dug by not filling in their holes and removing any trash they find, it takes less energy to fill in a hole then it takes to dig one. All it will do is give all MDer’s a bad name and cause all of us to lose the privilege of being able to hunt in our public parks, not only here, but all over the country.

Obviously, they are viewing this forum to get the locations, and they must be able to read, so maybe, just maybe, they will look at the section in the forum that contains the code of ethics and educate themselves a little bit about some of the do's and don'ts of Metal Detecting. :research:

Ok, I will get off my soap box now, just had to let off a little steam. :madmad:

Anyway, great work around to the problem by doing the PM thing. I’m in, so send me a PM when you get it hidden, and we all can continue the Quest for Hidden Treasures….
Great job Silversmith…You The Man..:tiphat:

Great idea Silversmith with the PM thing. :thumbsup:

It is too bad that we have to revert to this because some people are not man enough to post that they have found the cache. These caches were put out there and posted on this forum for everyone that has a detector to participate in and have a little fun in trying to find something that you know is there. All that we asked, was they at least posted on the forum that they found the cache so we could continue on with more hides. Not too much to ask, just a little respect and common courtesy to everyone.

It is really an insult to our hobby, as well as to the general public that some people lack the ethics in leaving no trace of where they have dug by not filling in their holes and removing any trash they find, it takes less energy to fill in a hole then it takes to dig one. All it will do is give all MDer’s a bad name and cause all of us to lose the privilege of being able to hunt in our public parks, not only here, but all over the country.

Obviously, they are viewing this forum to get the locations, and they must be able to read, so maybe, just maybe, they will look at the section in the forum that contains the code of ethics and educate themselves a little bit about some of the do's and don'ts of Metal Detecting. :research:

Ok, I will get off my soap box now, just had to let off a little steam. :madmad:

Anyway, great work around to the problem by doing the PM thing. I’m in, so send me a PM when you get it hidden, and we all can continue the Quest for Hidden Treasures….
Great job Silversmith…You The Man..:tiphat:

Amen!

It's buried. A new park this time. I have found Wheat Cents there before so there should be silver. Last night I found twelve Memorials, two nickels, two dimes, and six quarters. I'll send out the coordinates to those who are interested starting later today to give everyone a chance.

You didn't think I was going to let this one sit overnight did you?

After mowing the yard and making dinner........I sped (not really) over to the park. Took me about 45 minutes and found it just after the sun set.

Must have been at an angle, was bouncing back and forth between quarter-fifty cents-dollar.

Thanks Silversmith!

DSCN4524.jpg

It would be fun to make up a serial code and a leave a small note saying contact you at "blah" address when you find this coin so you can track its progress once you let it go back in the wild like they do with wildlife. Just something fun when you are bored. :lol:

I thought that one would be fairly easy. That 40% silver read a loud 89 on my XLT. I'll have to see what I can come up with next. I hunted Linwood again where I had the last cache. Someone had been there that day and while they had covered their holes, they left their trash in them or on top of the ground which I picked up. I did find six coins in their holes or right next to them. I guess they either didn't recheck the holes or need to practice their pinpointing.

I thought that one would be fairly easy. That 40% silver read a loud 89 on my XLT. I'll have to see what I can come up with next. I hunted Linwood again where I had the last cache. Someone had been there that day and while they had covered their holes, they left their trash in them or on top of the ground which I picked up. I did find six coins in their holes or right next to them. I guess they either didn't recheck the holes or need to practice their pinpointing.

I'll get my baseball bat and we can head down there this weekend! Someone needs to learn some manners! :mad:

I'll get my baseball bat and we can head down there this weekend! Someone needs to learn some manners! :mad:

I am with you on that. :numchuck:

Have an idea Silversmith. On the next hide, post it for everyone to see, but this time, put with the coin a copy of the CODE Of ETHICS for Metal Detecting. Who knows, they might read the part about covering your holes AND taking all trash out with you. You might even highlight those two areas for them...:research: Here it is...

Rules to Follow When Detecting

- Never trespass. Always get permission to traverse private or restricted lands.
- Always respect private property and do no metal detecting without the owner's permission.
- Before searching public sites, always check laws, ordinances or regulations that may govern your hunt.
- Always leave gates as they are found whether open or closed.
- Never do anything that might contaminate wells, creeks or other water supplies.
- Never tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment.
- Never damage or destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.
- Never spook, taunt, provoke or otherwise disturb wild or domestic animals.
- Never leave litter. Pack out any and all trash or debris you create or find.
- If necessary, clean up after a previous detectorist. Acting in spite of him or even just ignoring his trangressions will only hurt us all in the end.
- Always use the correct digging or probing equipment to make the least intrusion or marks.
- Never throw trash finds back in the hole.
- Leave as little sign of your passing as possible.
- Always fill in your holes, including plowed fields, sand pits, beaches and in water.
- Study, learn, appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
- Be thoughtful, considerate, courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- Protect the metal detecting hobby by being a good will ambassador at all times.
- Report the discovery of any items of possible significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation of your area.
- Report any live ammunition or other potentially lethal or toxic objects you may find to authorities after carefully noting or marking the location.
- Report any criminal activities you see to proper authorities immediately. You are not a "snitch" or a "tattletale". You are a citizen with both rights, privileges AND duties. Respect them as they were hard-earned by many who came before you.

PLUS, we have some ethics that we follow that are not posted such as:

1. We don't detect cemeteries
2. If we are invited to go somewhere, we don't start detecting till the person that invited us gets there, and we leave when they leave.
3. We don't sneak behind our friends backs and clean out their spots.
4. If you are asked to leave a place, you apologize and leave.

Might have been a shy lurker, without manners, and common sense about filling holes. Or just a newbie that doesn't get it yet.

One of the half dollars I planted was found on the ground by a man with his dog. I think Patton traded him out of it. Whoever dug it was careless about digging and also about keeping what he had found. Served him right. I think the PM coordinates is the way to go. You'll have to be quick to beat Lawdog though. I may have a token for a prize the next time. They would have to see me to collect it. I guess I could post the coordinates that way.

Great idea and thanks for sharing. Too bad about the trash and holes. Did a lot of research and spent some time with folks who have done this awhile prior to starting out. Learned a lot and am very greatful for the lessons. Hopefully it is a person who is new at this and ya'll will have the ability to teach him/her something new. HH!

So does anyone do this in my neck of the woods? This would be fun but seems the ones on this forum are to far for me to search.

I still think you the man for doing this for the people on this forum......Karma to ya.:cool:

Been thinking about hiding one of my Mercury Dimes. I found another one last night, a '29. I also found a '44D Wheat...the only coins I found.

Back
Top Bottom