Soap allergy??

Walknstik

I am 59 and have never been allergic to ANYTHING until recently and have narrowed it down to shampoo/soap? Have been doing lots of research on the web and it seems the list of possible allergens in today's corporate products is never ending! So called "natural" soap products today have countless numbers of chemicals in them that a lab scientist could not pronounce. Thinking of staying away from the big names and trying a glycerine or olive oil based soap? Have any of ya'll ever dealt with this type of problem...if so what worked for you??

Not soap, but deodorant! That stuff tears me up, I break out and it itches like a nest of fleas! I guess I've got sensitive skin? I've tried every brand, organic, non-antiperspirant, sprays, roll on, sticks, non scented, women's, those marketed as being made specifically for sensitive skin ... I don't know what's irritating me. Some brands I simply can not have on my skin (Old Spice).

So in the end what I've figured out is when I switch brands I get along pretty good for about a week. So I have a set of about 3 or 4 that I rotate... pretty sad isn't it? A big mean looking guy with a scruffy beard and dainty armpits! Lol.

I feel your pain. Good luck figuring out a solution.

Last edited:
Not soap, but deodorant! That stuff tears me up, I break out and it itches like a nest of fleas! I guess I've got sensitive skin? I've tried every brand, organic, non-antiperspirant, sprays, roll on, sticks, non scented, women's, those marketed as being made specifically for sensitive skin ... I don't know what's irritating me. Some brands I simply can not have on my skin (Old Spice).

So in the end what I've figured out is when I switch brands I get along pretty good for about a week. So I have a set of about 3 or 4 that I rotate... pretty sad isn't it? A big mean looking guy with a scruffy beard and dainty armpits! Lol.

Secret: Strong enough for a man! lol

It's more likely the scents used that are causing the problem. It's actually a more common issue than you might think.

If it actually is soap that you're reacting to, try AVEENO. They make a soap-less cleaner for sensitive skin.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's for the feedback! Still doing some research and learned that contact dermatitis can last quite some time in some cases even after finding the chemical culprit? I was thinking that by avoiding the culprit one would clear up in a few days but that is not always the case.

Longhair the last 2 weeks I've been using Aveeno Fragrance-free Oatmeal bar soap and my breakouts don't seem as bad as before. I even shampoo my hair with it! I may stick with Aveeno a bit longer and hope for the best...maybe it will eventually clear up. If not I will go to VA for a patch test.

I simply employ used coffee grounds for a full body scrub down..! For toothpaste, I prefer a twig from a sassafras tree.....for hemmerhoid ointment, a dollop of 'menthol gel shaving cream' applied to the offending area makes for an instant refreshing fix!...For toilet paper, a handful of fresh snow is just the ticket!..In lieu of that, a damp paper towel gently saturated with Windex...those blue ones you get at the gas station come in quite handy...also free...Best of luck to you....
Mud

Same here. I have to use Speed Stick, but only certain ones. Every other one I have tried causes my underarm skin to to start peeling like a sunburn, and if you've ever tried to put more on when that starts happening, it burns like a volcano at the bottom of hell! Once you find one that does work, you get very reluctant to even give others a try.

Same with soap, not as bad but leaves little red bumps on my chest after a shower for about 30 minutes. Absolutely cannot use Tide clothes detergent either, it burns if I sweat and I will tear my skin off! The cheap detergents like Surf are okay though. Not as strong and not as clean, but no chemicals burning my skin either.

An aunt a year older than myself came in contact with a county roadside weed sprayer back in the '80's. Soon after, she found she would come close to death if contact with perfumes, detergents or anything of the like hit her nostrils. She wears a face-type respirator when outside.

Remember too, that your body chemistry is ever changing, and you might be sensitive to something for a long while or a short while, and it just often goes away as suddenly as it began. I suffered random extreme outbreaks of hives for several years. The Doc's all said that it was an allergy, but they never did figure out what to, and one day they just stopped. I haven't been bothered with it again.

25yrs ago I got patch tested, and showed sensitivity to 18 different types of mold, yet I live in a veritable swamp (surrounded by muck farms), and I make my living in barns. Heck, I should be MORE concerned with the possibility of coming in contact with Anthrax!
Other than occasional respiratory funk for a day or so I experience no ill effect. Consequently, I don't put much stock in patch tests, but in your case it might be different....if it really is a chemical contact issue.

I remember about a year ago on the local news they were talking about how some corporations were using cheaper alternative chemicals for soaps and shampoos to cut production costs. They went on to say how some of these chemicals are not too kind to the body. In conclusion they stated the struggle is trying to find hygiene products that don't contain those certain chemicals.

Last night while watching CBS World News...American Airlines is now being pressured by their employees to recall the new uniforms they were issued! Numerous complaints of employees breaking out in rashes, hives, headaches and other health problems related to the new uniforms :?:

Again I want to thank all of ya'll for sharing your experiences on this subject! This !!!! sort of reminds me of poison ivy and I HATE poison ivy :(

Add me to the "old spice" list. It doesn't get to me for a week or so then all of the sudden I get underarm itch!

After returning from Vietnam I found out that I have breathing problems if I'm around dust, smoke, incense or perfumes. I used to work on a farm plowing fields and stacking hay inside a barn. I found out that I couldn't do it because of the dust. I loved camping but the smoke from campfires about did me in. I have to keep my windows shut because of a neighbors smoke from his fireplace. I think the smell of weed is probably the worst. The smell is still on a person even if he isn't currently using it. I was in the hospital in Vietnam. At the time they said it was because of a heat stroke. The VA says it never happened. There is no record of me ever being in the hospital on my health records. They say it must have happened after I got out of the service.

I had problems with rash and breaking out with hives. Dr. did a skin test and said to use Ivory soap and the cheaper and mild scented detergents to wash clothes. I have not had any problems in 2 years. Give it a try it may help you also.

I have the deodorant allergy too and cant use most types. But I have found that I can use Gillette clear gel without any problems so I have been using it for years.

Back
Top Bottom