A couple tips on building an electric beach bike.

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Still have to build a Lexan battery box. The rear battery is a Lithium battery at 48 volts and 20 amp hour. A bit overkill. I can likely ride from Jacksonville to St. Augustine down the wet sand with this battery:shock:

Also the rear hub is a 48 volt 1000 watt brushless hub. I hit 30 MPH on my test run today:shock: On a previous test run I hit 26 MPH in the wet sand. And if you never tried it mountain bike tires can throw shells a long way. In your face, clock some people in the towel line, etc. Be sure and wear some safety sunglasses:lol::cool:

I found the original free bike I had built the thing out of needed a suspension and at least one disc brake. Wound up scrapping that idea when looking at upgrades and wound up finding the bike pictured for 119$ at wallyworld with an aluminum frame and a front disc brake. She stops now. If you don't have good brakes buy a pack of underwear:laughing:

For the beach to save money id suggest just going 36 volt with a less amp hour battery. The Lithium battery in the pic costed $430 by itself:shock: But not many need 20 amp hours.

Only thing left is to make a front mount for my scoop now. And a harness to carry my detector so I can hang onto the handlebars:shock::laughing:

Attachments

• SAM_3580.jpg
    SAM_3580.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 372
Love it! Can't wait til we are all out riding to far off places together!

Still have to build a Lexan battery box. The rear battery is a Lithium battery at 48 volts and 20 amp hour. A bit overkill. I can likely ride from Jacksonville to St. Augustine down the wet sand with this battery:shock:

Also the rear hub is a 48 volt 1000 watt brushless hub. I hit 30 MPH on my test run today:shock: On a previous test run I hit 26 MPH in the wet sand. And if you never tried it mountain bike tires can throw shells a long way. In your face, clock some people in the towel line, etc. Be sure and wear some safety sunglasses:lol::cool:

I found the original free bike I had built the thing out of needed a suspension and at least one disc brake. Wound up scrapping that idea when looking at upgrades and wound up finding the bike pictured for 119$ at wallyworld with an aluminum frame and a front disc brake. She stops now. If you don't have good brakes buy a pack of underwear:laughing:

For the beach to save money id suggest just going 36 volt with a less amp hour battery. The Lithium battery in the pic costed $430 by itself:shock: But not many need 20 amp hours.

Only thing left is to make a front mount for my scoop now. And a harness to carry my detector so I can hang onto the handlebars:shock::laughing:

Nice Larry... I saw a guy on the beach today with balloon tires on his bike he was riding on the wet sand... biggest tires I have ever seen in my life on a bike.

Nice Larry... I saw a guy on the beach today with balloon tires on his bike he was riding on the wet sand... biggest tires I have ever seen in my life on a bike.

We call them fat bikes. I think the real name is fat tire bike?

There was some guy on one of those fundme start up sites that makes fat bikes, something like "sonders." My parents each got one. I don't know what they sell for now, but they were lucky to take a gamble and get in on it really early. Yours looks A LOT nicer than the ones they got!

Very, very cool! :coolman: Somebody seems ready for the Tour de France! :thumbsup: I've seen a lot of those fat tire bike down here. There's even a student that rides one to school. BUT not one that's been electrified.

Very, very cool! :coolman: Somebody seems ready for the Tour de France! :thumbsup: I've seen a lot of those fat tire bike down here. There's even a student that rides one to school. BUT not one that's been electrified.

I got a friend a little younger than me who said he wanted to go distance riding and wound up left without me. He said I wouldn't have kept up with them. I got something for him now. Heck lance Armstrong on steroids couldn't peddle 30 MPH on a mountain bike for long. I can cruise for hours. My buddy is gonna puke trying to keep up on a marathon bike run:laughing:

There was some guy on one of those fundme start up sites that makes fat bikes, something like "sonders." My parents each got one. I don't know what they sell for now, but they were lucky to take a gamble and get in on it really early. Yours looks A LOT nicer than the ones they got!

Fat Bikes here start at less than $200 at most stores. An electric one on fleabay starts at $1000. But they may even have lead acid batteries that don't run long.

I so want one! When you finish you should post some instructions and parts. Or you could start building them to sell locally[emoji848]

Sent from my detector via iPhone

I so want one! When you finish you should post some instructions and parts. Or you could start building them to sell locally[emoji848]

Sent from my detector via iPhone

The main thing is getting a Lithium battery that is already here from China. The record I saw getting one on a bike forum from China was 4 months. I got this one in 4 days from California. Even bike parts from Canada can stay in customs a long time.

Nice looking setup. Just stay away from the green slim at some of the south beaches. I here the smell is bad too.

Saw this at Daytona a few years ago. Slightly modified bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0378 (2).jpg
    IMG_0378 (2).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 273
Two things you are missing there Larry. First is a good insurance policy. Hope you got one. :shock: Second is a parachute. :lol: I like your setup. You can putin up north and ride the beach looking for low spots. Watch out for seagulls.

Attachments

• seagull_hat.jpg
    seagull_hat.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 191
  • seagull_eat.jpg
    seagull_eat.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 189
Back
Top Bottom