New to detecting, confused after first hunt

SA_Digger

Hey everyone,

I am new to detecting and recently just picked up an Ace 250. I kinda jumped right into it without doing a whole lot of research on good beginner detectors, but just saw some good things about the 250.

So I went on my first hunt today, and I was really disappointed with the Ace. Perhaps it was a trashy area, but I was getting so many signals that were very jumpy. Multiple times I would have a signal that was saying coin at 6-8'', then when I dug there was nothing to be found. When I test it at home with coins and other objects, it's fairly accurate, but it was a different story when I was actually out there today.

Also, when I would pinpoint, I would center the target well to the middle of the coil. After digging and not finding a thing, I would re-swing and re-pinpoint and the target would be moved 2-3'' over/up!! That was upsetting.

Anyway, I dug some trash, bottle caps, and a pull tab the 20-30 minutes I was out there. Also dug this little token looking thing at 7-8'', came up as a dime on the 250 I believe. I think I'm gonna hole it and put it on my key-ring for good luck.

Lastly, I'm a youngin' in the hobby, I'm 21 years old. When I tell friends I just got a metal detector they say "what are you 80?!".

Attachments

• 2012-02-24 15.12.34.jpg
    2012-02-24 15.12.34.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 335
hahaha are you 80? theres lots of us that detect that arent older, they just dont realize how fun it is!

Same here. 25.

I have the 350. Just gotta get to know your machine. Had the same problem with mine but It's all coming together now.

Check out some vids on YouTube on your 250, some helpful ones there.

hahaha are you 80? theres lots of us that detect that arent older, they just dont realize how fun it is!

I've been interested in it since I was 15 or so. Couldn't resist any longer!

My next hunting area where I'm hoping is less trashy is behind a church that was built in 1890. Hoping that turns out well. The oldest activity around here is late 1800's but I'm sure that's plenty old.

I bought my first MD last FEB. I started using it in March it was the ACE250.
a lot of talk on here lately about what the ACE250 can't do...I'll show you what it can...
some of my finds with the ACE250 last summer...
076.jpg

004-28.jpg

016-6.jpg

005-22.jpg

001-57.jpg

001-59.jpg

005-26.jpg

005-30.jpg

005-28.jpg

^ Nice finds... I have been hearing a lot of negatives about the 250 as well. I am using an even cheaper 150 and killing it. Take your time and have patience with it. Before long you will get the hang of it..

Here are some of my finds and only been at it for 2 months... Burnts Album

Thanks the replies guys

It must have just been the area I was hunting. Seemed very trashy.

Also can anyone give me some tips on digging a proper plug? I purchased an Ames digging tool with the serrated edge so cutting through the sod and roots is a breeze, I just can't seem to get a solid plug out with it.

Thanks the replies guys

It must have just been the area I was hunting. Seemed very trashy.

Also can anyone give me some tips on digging a proper plug? I purchased an Ames digging tool with the serrated edge so cutting through the sod and roots is a breeze, I just can't seem to get a solid plug out with it.

I cut from say 1 o-clock to 11 0-clock then I pry at 3-6 and 9 to flap it up. my soil around here doesn't really allow me to plug dig...but I do at other locations.
also when learning the ACE250, turn your sens. down to 3-4 bars at first...this will reduce your falsing. you can always turn it up to go deeper later on. you will dig alot of foil, PT's , bottlecaps...but you will also get rewarded with a surprise now and then. HH

Hey there,
I new at this too at only a couple of weeks. Read everything you can on this site to gain some knowledge. The best advice I have gotten from here is to learn your machine! It doesn't really matter which one you have, what matters is understanding what it is saying when you get a signal. So get out there and practice, practice, practice! I can already see a big difference each time I go out. Good luck!

I bet the coins are in the hole...you need to buy a pinpointer!

I forgot to mention I do actually have a Garrett pin-pointer as well. It was weird, I would get a signal then after digging the signal was gone. And I would sweep over the dirt I just dug also and nothing.. I'm convinced it was just the area I was in.

I cut from say 1 o-clock to 11 0-clock then I pry at 3-6 and 9 to flap it up. my soil around here doesn't really allow me to plug dig...but I do at other locations.
also when learning the ACE250, turn your sens. down to 3-4 bars at first...this will reduce your falsing. you can always turn it up to go deeper later on. you will dig alot of foil, PT's , bottlecaps...but you will also get rewarded with a surprise now and then. HH

Thanks for the tips

I forgot to mention I do actually have a Garrett pin-pointer as well. It was weird, I would get a signal then after digging the signal was gone. And I would sweep over the dirt I just dug also and nothing.. I'm convinced it was just the area I was in.

Thanks for the tips

oh yeh remember the depth on the ACE isn't always correct...so if it says 4" and you dig 4" and get no signal from your propointer, you may have to dig deeper and wider inside the hole. this I learned from experience!

On the ace adjust sensitivty to 3-4 which will stop falsing. If you get a target move to side and see if you hit the target. With your plugs and pinpointing check out youtube. Chicagoron has a good video up on cutting plugs. HH

oh yeh remember the depth on the ACE isn't always correct...so if it says 4" and you dig 4" and get no signal from your propointer, you may have to dig deeper and wider inside the hole. this I learned from experience!

i can back up gun on the ace I used his for a few days till my 250 came in and it does take time and pratice but all that silver looks awesome was all that with the DD coil? i keep reading about how good the sniper is to dont know which way to go with a different coil cause im going to have this machine for some time ,,,,,HH

I'm wet behind the ears also, just broke into the 30's here.

Been detecting for a few months now, and have already found lots of cool stuff. No gold or silver, but I'm having fun doing it

Practice, you'll get it if you put in the time, ive got a 250also and I don't understand all that it can do. 21,,,I wish I would have started at 21,,,or better yet,, 12,,,,

I agree with everything said here, but want to put one thing to it.

Don't forget that we all are digging trash. Many times even more trash than good finds.
A detector that picks only al the cherry's between al the rubbish still doesn't excist.

Greatest tip you'lle ever get: Dig, dig much, on the ace disc only iron and dig everything else.
If you get to comfort with the (any) detectors id and totaly rely on it you will leave good stuff behind.

I agree with everything said here, but want to put one thing to it.

Don't forget that we all are digging trash. Many times even more trash than good finds.
A detector that picks only al the cherry's between al the rubbish still doesn't excist.

Greatest tip you'lle ever get: Dig, dig much, on the ace disc only iron and dig everything else.
If you get to comfort with the (any) detectors id and totaly rely on it you will leave good stuff behind.

yeh I forgot to mention that:lol: read my post on trash... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=104664

It's a super machine. Best thing to do with the Ace 250 is understand what it's telling you before you get too frustrated. Try lowering the sensitivity a bit. Watch the instructional DVD a few times and also see how others use it on YouTube. I carry it as my loaner machine but would not hesitate to use it at anytime.

Back
Top Bottom