Soil, No Conehead, No Depth

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
IMO, if you can not dig a plug using a Lesche, and easily flip an in-tact "Conehead" shaped plug, it don't matter much that your mineral content is low and the soil shows good in analysis. Loosey-goosey soil negates depth ability. There's a lot more to the soil issues besides basic readings which may indicate reasonably good soil conditions, and deep readings.

Soil so called being sweet, soil being low minerialized, yada yada tada.
My soil reads very good in being low in minerals per the readings I get from the Whites V3i analysis screen. I have a quarter buried, placed in the sidewall of the hole, at 11", it's been there for several months now. It takes all I can do to get it consistently hitting even using the 10" coil, tweaked to the max. I read all over the place where peole say the V-machine hits DEEP-DEEP-DEEP, yet there ain't no way I'd ever find Barbers and silver dimes like people tout finding at 10", no way.

I do not believe that you can hit depth unles you can flip a consistent conehead dig with ease, no matter the soil conditions. Either that or the other V3i users saying how deep this thing goes, have "Super-Vs". I have never ever found a dime below 7", anywhere here in these south soils. Finding that quarter at 11" with the 10" with a struggle tells me a dime signal is foolish thinking, even at 8".

AND YES, I understand buried isn't the same as a coin which has been in the ground for years. Silver hardly gives a halo like other metals though, so there shouldn't be that big of a difference. martin

In my opinion, digging "Conehead" shaped plugs should be avoided. They can pop up too easily and become an eyesore. Plugs should be cut with vertical walls.

Interesting!

In my opinion, digging "Conehead" shaped plugs should be avoided. They can pop up too easily and become an eyesore. Plugs should be cut with vertical walls.

Wow Rudy, that was "deep."

Martin, soil ranges in Texas can be from 0-100 - You guys have everything from dark brown earth and plush grass, to desert with sand and gravel over caliche. I have to conditionally agree with your conclusions, and just say there are always exceptions to any rule. Great post, and a lot to ponder!

Not only that, digging a conehead can run a great risk of damaging target. Also it makes the retrieval harder sometimes.

Best to dig a U shaped plug, and flip it back, and flip it back down when your done. Leaves the roots intact. Cutting a whole plug out is bad for grass.

This isn't my pic, but a good idea of what to do. The bigger the plug you cut the better. That way if you need to go in more you don't have to make additional cuts to the sod.

images

Thank you for posting this, gives me a better idea on proper digging methods. I haven't really made a mess of anything like that, well a couple of re-filled holes did look a bit sloppy. :(

I need to get a Lesche. I just have a common garden digging trowel, or little shovel, whatever it's called.

Im not sure what digging a "conehead ?" shaped plug has to do with depth ? :?: Where did the conehead plug term come from ?

Interesting Martin. I have to make a video of the 10'' dime I have in my very loose, very sandy and loamy soil in my backyard. I can get a not-solid-but-not-too-iffy signal with the Deep Silver program. Definitely a signal I would dig.
At my favorite deep park however, where the soil is clay and I can cut a plug and it won't come apart even if I kick it (ok, maybe if I kick it really hard), I cannot see the dime I buried at 10''. I can easily see the dime I buried at 8'' at home and at the park with the V3i.

Incidentally, at the deep park, I can see a silver dime at 8'' with the AT Pro, albeit a faint and broken high signal with no VDI.

I don't know what conclusions to draw from this other than to say that perhaps our soil here in Wichita is 'sweet'. As soon as I figure out how to do a Ground Probe, I will and I will post the results here.

Im not sure what digging a "conehead ?" shaped plug has to do with depth ? :?: Where did the conehead plug term come from ?

That's my label. The digs you see in videos seem to always flip over with the sub surface soil clinging to it neatly, finishing at the peak more like a cone, leaving a rather clean hole to probe. Here, it seems you can dig/saw in your efforts to get the cone flipped shape, or for a "U" effort for than matter, and the subsurface soil splatters apart during the flip. I just have to think that the videos showing deeply found dimes are accompanied with the solid plug(conehead) conditions.

Anyway, that's where conehead came from. I don't dig purposely aiming at a v-plug, and it doesn't appear that the diggers on the vids are either, the plugs just seem to pop that way to my eye. I am good to just get something in-between on plugs here, and I think that is probably why I've never found a 9" dime, and have a struggle to hit the 11" quarter at will. martin

Interesting Martin. I have to make a video of the 10'' dime I have in my very loose, very sandy and loamy soil in my backyard. I can get a not-solid-but-not-too-iffy signal with the Deep Silver program. Definitely a signal I would dig.
At my favorite deep park however, where the soil is clay and I can cut a plug and it won't come apart even if I kick it (ok, maybe if I kick it really hard), I cannot see the dime I buried at 10''. I can easily see the dime I buried at 8'' at home and at the park with the V3i.

Incidentally, at the deep park, I can see a silver dime at 8'' with the AT Pro, albeit a faint and broken high signal with no VDI.

I don't know what conclusions to draw from this other than to say that perhaps our soil here in Wichita is 'sweet'. As soon as I figure out how to do a Ground Probe, I will and I will post the results here.

I cannot even dig a "plug" at my house or surounding parks...too sandy. the grass is barely hanging on. so Itry to "sod cut" the top off, dig through the sandy dirt (brown babypowder) then fill back in and replace the "cap".

and I hit 8" to10" dimes in this soil with no problem with both the ACE250 and now the e-trac.

Back
Top Bottom