This guy is gonna ruin it for all of us!!!

NevTrac

Forum Supporter
So I ran into this guy a few months ago in a park. He was using a 18" crow bar for a digger and leaving a mess behind. I politely suggested he invest in a better digger and cover his holes better. He denied digging in the grass, saying he stuck to the dirt and woodchips.

Today I rolled up to one of my sites as this guy was leaving. Below are some pics of his digs. This property is owned by the state and is not exactly manicured lawn, the grass is dormant right now so you have to be extra careful when digging. I know he's doing the same thing in local parks.

I will not be so polite in our next conversation.:mad::mad::mad: Just hope I run into him again before it's to late.

Keith

Attachments

• 2-17 finds 002.jpg
    2-17 finds 002.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,272
  • 2-17 finds 003.jpg
    2-17 finds 003.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,314
  • 2-17 finds 001.jpg
    2-17 finds 001.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,341
Those pictures demonstrate what every park official fears when they think of metal detecting. Who really thinks they have the right to do that to a city park?

Brian

Be super careful what you say to this guy, you never know what state of mind someone may be in. Especially carrying an 18" crow bar.
If this guy is all over the place defacing the parks with a crowbar then I would definitely talk to the park administrator so he/she knows it is one dumb miscreant and arrange some kind of enforcement action via tip-off.
Rest assured that this one guy is enough to get MDing banned in all city parks.

I've been asked to leave a park because someone had done something like that, the week before. I guess being considerate is a lost art, these days!

hope I dont catch this guy I'm gonna stuff that crowbar where the sun dont shine:mad::mad::mad:

Keith not the same guy that was leaving the giant iron at mills park

new guy here, i have been practicing in my back yard just because i didn't want to leave messes like this guy in places where it might upset someone. some people just have no respect.

If he had simply smashed the ground back down flat into the holes I wouldn't be so critical. That grass type will make it tough for a clean refill to the public's eye anyway. It didn't look like he tried very hard though. IMO, everyone hunting in any parks should think twice about using anything besides hand diggers. I just don't think it looks good carrying a shovel in a public park. A crowbar really doesn't look as threatening to me though like a long handed shovel does. Done right, the crowbar could be a good coin popper on shallow stuff.

Yea, he was a bum in not rilling the holes back in to say the least. martin

You should try and find him, while he's doing his destructive thing, and try and show him how much easier it is with the right tool for the job. A $7 Fiskar's from Wally's, is going to hurt anyone's wallet that bad, much lighter to carry than an 18" piece of iron. But be patient, and calm, you don't want to come off as an irate obsessive on a rant. While digging, you can discuss how the public is more tolerant of our hunting, if we leave little or no sign of our activities behind. When we upset the public, they tend to push for bans and penalties. Is the government gets involved, they'll go for the simplest, cheapest solution to quiet the outrage, and cover the most ground.

You can force anyone to change, but hopefully you can educate them into making better choices. Really think that if you can show him a less physical, and more productive means of recovery, he will also take the time to cover his tracks as well. He has to be putting some effort into using that crowbar. Another point about not leaving a mess, it alerts the public that they are dropping things, they are watching the ground closer, so they don't trip and will see things on the surface, that we could have been finding later on.

The thing with these sloppy holes left behind, is that they are visible, what people see and remember. They are obstacles to be avoided, the cause for embarrassment and injury, which are negative memories. If nobody knows you dug a hole, nobody cares. If they are constantly reminded that treasure hunters make holes, they have to watch out for, they will remember the negatives, and some will do something about it.

There are a lot of good reasons to take a few minutes, or even an hour, if needed, to help a beginner. Their focus is on finding treasure, and may not have paid a lot of attention to the manual, or ethics literature. If you can help them find that first treasure, and quickly, easily recover it properly. They will be less likely to leave a mess. They'll remember you help, and the reason for it, and will share that with other new hunters they meet.

That is really really sloppy.

I always fill in my holes. Sometimes though it doesn't look so great and now a bit worried that I am going to cause ire with the landscapers here at my apt complex where I've been practicing. I do the best i can to make it look as it did before, but a few do look a bit tore up.

But they are not as bad as what this guy has done.

That is a real shame. My 9 and 11 yr old boys go and I have taught them how to dig a nice plug and cover up holes and they look pretty dag gone nice when they are done. If children can do it, this man can do it. It is nothing but being lazy and it is a shame.

what a jerk. for what is worth I was MDing a local park last year and came upon similair looking tears/holes...I stomped em all back in place and went to my truck, where I keep a bag of that fertilized green grass seed. I usually only sprinkle the grass seed at homes that I am allowed to detect (it makes the plug invisible and helps restart the healing)
but that day I used up a quarter bag hiding this idiots digs.

I know I don't have to do this, but I like this hobby and would like to continue . so if it takes me alittle time and effort fixing some ignorant losers holes I will.

I've got the same thing happening to a field I have permission to hunt in Southern Maryland. I'd love to run into that clown sometime and tell him to stop leaving holes all over the place =/

I seen some bad digs but those have to be the worse I seen. I wouldn't talk to him he might become violent and I doubt you want to deal with that. Would fill the police in on him and his license number if you feel it won't fall back on losing privlage of detecting your areas as they might make it law no detecting them. I wanted to check out in front of the police station yesterday, so sunny and bright and I seen a triangle patch of grass in front people walked over going in, my thought was getting keys back out maybe a lot of quarters lost in there. I use a small thin screwdriver to retrieve shallow quarters under 2 inches in the ground. A little slit and it is a easy fill after retrieving them.
M6 Mike

Back
Top Bottom