Just a few tips I wanted to share...

ronfin

Elite Member
This is most likely "common knowledge" among the seasoned detectorists on [here], but I thought I'd provide it for those that are either new to the hobby, or maybe missed these themselves.

I've been concentrating my hunts to a nearby park. I've mentioned it many times in some of my other posts. The park is very historic, and there were a few things I've experienced that I wanted to share.

1) A little research goes a LONG way. Before you go to the place you plan to hunt, like a park for example, visit [THIS SITE] and view the area on an aerial photo. This site gives you the ability to see a current aerial map, and then simultaneously view one taken decades ago with the slider feature. Here you can look for old structures, Baseball fields, ponds (since kids LOVE to throw money into water), and walk paths that may or may not be visible anymore.

2) The old "Fields": When you get to the park, printed old aerial maps in hand, think about the things you did as a kid. You played baseball, so focus on the areas where it's most likely that the "action" was. The baselines are perfect examples. You have money in your pocket, playing ball, and you're running the bases. Money does fall out. Next check the outfield. i've had a LOT of success in this area. Left and Center where the ball is often drilled a lot. After you've hunted the field, look around for any large trees. The older the better. Where did you put all your "stuff" before you took the field? When I was a kid we would place everything next to a tree near the field. Are there bleachers still there? Even if they're not, look at the map and imagine where they may've been. I've found a lot of older coins off to the sides of the First Base line and Third Base line. Spectators are careless = win.

3) Walk paths. Old cement ones are great! You're walking down the path, digging in your pocket for something, and out pops a quarter. Where does it roll? It hits the ground, bounces, or rolls off the path, but not far. Focus on the sides of these. I recently found 8 silver coins in one tiny stretch (My lucky Light Post section I call it) in a weekend, and all of the targets were within 2 feet from the path.

4) Old structures that are no longer there. Now, I'm sure this will be debatable, but I'm gonna express my opinion on how I've done around them. I've had less success working right over top of them, and have had great success working the outer perimeters. When they were there people hung-out around them, walking to and from them. Look at your old aerial maps and try to see where people would've been coming in and out of. It's worked well for me.

5) The Main entrances to the Park in general. Work the sidewalk strips. The area where people have been getting out of their cars and going into the park, and walking over these little grassy strips, have produced a lot of targets. Always have the mindset of where you would be if you were going to the park to BRBQ, or play. Those things haven't changed over the decades much, just the scenery in the area has.

6) Be respectful of the area you're hunting. If you find trash, take it with you or find a trashcan to put it in. You might not think it's bothering anyone being covered back up, but that's where you're wrong. Tomorrow you're gonna re-work all of these areas, and the hunt after that, and after that, and so on. Every time you remove a bad target, you unmask a good one under it. Always remember that. The cleaner the areas you hunt, the better your results can be.

7) I never hunt a field "In Season". If it's Baseball Season, stay off the fields. It will attract negativity to the hobby. People will assume you're just digging holes, and that their kids are gonna break an ankle in one of them. In the off season no one pays much attention. I steer clear of fields as much as possible when they're actively being used. Even a well replaced plug will discolor, and all you need is to anger ONE grounds keeper and the fun is over.

That's about it. I hope this helps if you're looking for it.

I always re-scan my holes, before filling them in, after recovering a target. If there was one, there may be more. Saves a lot of time and effort, why dig the same hole twice...

Thanks ronfin for the information post! Thats great stuff. :good:
That will definetly put some thoughts in the old bucket as us newbs are out there mding.

Very well written. Point number 4 is very accurate, but often ignored. Point 6 should go without saying, but people still put junk back in their holes.:?::?::no::no:

HH

The ariel tool in bullet #1 confuses me as far as the older views with the slider. The one spot I tried for older views didn't give me anything but a blurry representation and nothing saying it was in year ????, it all looked the same, no old home sites. I know there were home there, so what's the deal to getting those?

The ariel tool in bullet #1 confuses me as far as the older views with the slider. The one spot I tried for older views didn't give me anything but a blurry representation and nothing saying it was in year ????, it all looked the same, no old home sites. I know there were home there, so what's the deal to getting those?

I can't make that website work for me, either.

Good advice! Concerning hunting older homesites, I like to try to find where they would have parked. Since back in the day, men wore slacks and looser fittting pants, maybe some coins fell out easier. Heck, maybe I just tell myself that so I'll keep searching for the $$ !!

I have been looking for that website for months now. Thanks for posting it. I found it once and forgot the name of it.I will be hunting a different part of the beach that I have been hunting because I was able to see how the beach looked in the 50's and I hope to be posting some good old finds by Monday. :D

I have been looking for that website for months now. Thanks for posting it. I found it once and forgot the name of it.I will be hunting a different part of the beach that I have been hunting because I was able to see how the beach looked in the 50's and I hope to be posting some good old finds by Monday. :D

The "slider" feature under the "compare" button is amazing! I've never used it before. Wow.

The "slider" feature under the "compare" button is amazing! I've never used it before. Wow.
The sliders not working on the IPad. I'll try it when I get home. I can already tell by the 1954 view that I have been hunting the newer part of the beach so Sunday I will be searching a whole new area. I hate having to work Saturdays.:mad: but I do have Monday off. :D

Yeah I've tried and tried. This site won't work for me. I have tried at home on the lap top and I have tried at work on desk computer. I have tried everything but contacting them. I've read thru the discussion board also. If I type in a address it loads and brings up nothing but a black screen with their logo. Its frustrating but it is what it is.

awesome just used the link to find out that a merly 100 ft from my house there was a ol homestead in 1958 i so cant wait to go md this area and now its all just vacant land hope i hear some ding ding :D

Back
Top Bottom