How many here have actually searched for a cache?

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
I know many of us (myself included) enjoy reading stories/tales about caches. Personally I've never researched anything down to a point of actually hunting for it (though it would be fun if there were enough facts to the story to make it worthwhile).

I was just curious who has? (and not asking if you found it) ;)

I am looking for a cache every time I go detecting. With stories of bandits, looters, CW units, and people hiding their money for various reasons, I am searching for caches every time, and every where I go.:yes:

One thing that I am certain of, a cache is going to be found where no one else has looked yet :yes:

Yeah, always keep a look out for old tree's with hollows in them (I look like a dork scanning trees with my detector) and other areas that look like someone may have stashed something there. Under old bridges is another decent spot to look. I have heard numerous stories of people finding caches of coins in gas tanks of old junk cars that have been sitting for years in fields. Never know where you might find something.

My bro and I took a tip from a coworker of his who said he found 6 Morgans in a ceramic jar out in the desert(on the surface).
We traveled to the area, near an old farming village by the river and searched for several hours.
I found a molten lump or nugget of some sort of metal which very possibly is silver. Its too soft to be steel, too hard to be lead (and lighter), too heavy to be aluminum or tin, non-magnetic,etc.
One of these days I'm going to order one of the silver tests.

Attachments

• DSCN0390 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0390 (640x480).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 424
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I meant as far as getting a "tip" and researching the story behind it, doing a little detective work, and actually hunting for a specific cache.

I mean....we ALL look for a cache any time we're hunting :lol:

Sorry I wasn't more specific. I meant as far as getting a "tip" and researching the story behind it, doing a little detective work, and actually hunting for a specific cache.

I mean....we ALL look for a cache any time we're hunting :lol:

I have searched for many. But I ain't seen nothing yet! :cool: I am past the research stage on a big multi cache and am now in the process of trying to put together a good proposal to get permission. In the last few years I have tracked down a few leads and locations but still no big score. Dug some big holes though... Felt REAL close a couple times. Some people love the research, I do it at work when slow, but I do it begrudgingly. I absolutely hate approaching property owners for permission but have yet to get turned down. I feel that streak is about to end though. :( I think there are millions of undocumented caches out there lost to history waiting for persistent people to uncover.

Keep after 'em Diggler! Hope your research pays off (literally :yes:)

I agree, there is much more "out there" than just the stories floating-around. May not all be large caches, but we all know many folks buried things, and not all of these secrets were shared with others. So like some others have said they're "always looking", you never know when you may just run across one.

The way to find real caches is to spend time in the library reading OLD newspapers for your area. You need to develope leads with specific things...

1- a person with money, often living alone
2- a sudden death or illness like a stroke that would make recovery impossible
3- heirs who didn't get what they felt they should. (if any heirs)

Old newspaper articles would often give WAY more personal info that we are used to seeing today. The sad news is that most people did not bury thier stash in the backyard. They kept it in the closet, in the mattres, behind a baseboard, etc. Many of those have already been found by others (and never reported), are still sitting in a house someone lives in, or lost when a demolition crew tears down old, vacant homes.

Back
Top Bottom