What's the proper etiquette?

gundriller

Hello, another Texan on board.
I'm just getting started with this MD hobby using my Garrett Ace 400 and am wondering, what should you say to a property owner to get permission to search and dig on his property? My people skills are kinda weak:roll:.

Also, if asked, would you share the 'treasure' or move on?

Thanks, gundriller, retired 4/2016

DO NOT say treasure!!
All you should say is it is a hobby and you are looking for old relics like buttons and buffalo nickels.
DO NOT say silver, gold or anything like that...

be a boy scout,
Introductions in the first 55 seconds are important, your either in or out.
tell them who you are, being polite, maybe compliment them on a yard decoration, or say what a beautiful day it is, or cute dog, or say what a magnificent tree. (People like to be complimented)
last fall instead of detecting, I helped rake and bag leaves for an hour, after getting permission. Offer a helping hand if they are doing yard work?
When introducing yourself speak clearly, say where your from, say where you live and work, (just a quick resume) Then what your looking for?
Say how your intrest in the hobby ( coin collecting?) And how you like to represent the hobby of metal detecting very well.
Offer to show them... make sure you say and do take any trash.
show them the trash as well when your done. sometimes that can lead to a few laughs, or another hunt.
Tell them that you'll only be detecting not any deeper than 6" or so
All the plugs you made, that their will be no ankle breakers & that
" You won't even be able to tell were I've cut a plug."
( don't say dig, or dug, or holes ) those three words are a turn off!

good luck.... others here will have good pointers too.
welcome to the forum HH DD

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Others gave good advice, so I'll just add to put yourself in the property owner's shoes, (remembering they might be very unfamiliar with detecting) if a stranger came to your door what would make you want to (or not want to) give permission to detect on your property ?

Their appearance and attitude ?

How they explained things to you ?

Your first impression of their sincerity ?

You might want to practice by asking a neighbor you know well that you want to practice asking permission to get their honest impression if they would be convinced if you were a stranger (they might even give you some referrals)

You might have your detector with you when asking strangers so they know you are for real and can see what you will be using.

I started asking permissions from my neighbor's and then branched off from there. I try to get referrals too.

When meeting a stranger, I would say something like:

" Hello neighbor, (it's a small town) my name is Steve and I'm out looking for new places to do some metal detecting today, do you mind if I do a little hunting on your property? "

As mentioned earlier, be polite and honest.

If you are given permission, be respectful to the owners property and try to leave no trace of your digs.

Good Luck...

HDD

One thing I was taught from childhood was 'if you need to know something, go to a respected source'. Your comments above certainly got me thinking in the proper perspective.

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated. As a beginner, every li'l bit helps.
Thanks, I'm impressed with our forum.

Just ask nicely if the homeowner likes knuckle sandwiches and then suplex them on the front steps.

Also mention metal detecting buzzwords like "dig holes", "the sod should grow back", and be sure to verify that the property owner has current insurance that covers strangers.

First of all, trot to STAPLES and plunk down $10 and get 500 custom business cards. Include all your contact info and any clubs you are a member of. Present this at all introductions. Makes you appear professional and legitimate. It will greatly improve your chances of success.

Introduce yourself confidently and advise them you are interested in finding and preserving the odd bits of history " such as tools, toys, tokens, and such". I never mention coins or jewelry as it makes you appear to be a treasure hunter. I do offer to return anything them may have lost ( get a description!!). If the question of valuables comes up, ask if they believe there may actually be anything of real value. Then I always laugh and say I've never found any yet but will be glad to split any treasure I find.

ALWAYS stress that you will take care of their property and landscaping and will haul away any trash you find. Then be sure to do exactly that. Take care of their property.!!! That is the biggest objective you will run into.

If you have extra machines, invite them to hunt with you. They will appreciate that. After you're done, ask if they know anybody else who may be willing to let you hunt. Ask them to introduce you.

Most people are very generous if you simply make them like you. So smile, shake their hand, make eye contact and be charming. Good luck!!

I was very gun shy about door knocking this year, but I finally bit the bullet and started. I was honest, said I take trash, leave no mess and that when Im done you cant tell I was ever there. Out of about 15 houses I asked, I was only told no once, and it was my neighbor across the street, whom I know well and talk to regularly. Most people dont mind as long as you are honest and dont mess up their yard. I never offer up anything I find, I guess its the pirate in me lol, I had one guy whose house was built in 1890 told me to go over his entire yard and dig every signal, but he wanted half my finds and he wanted to pick his half first....I never went back to his house.....with my luck I dig a double eagle or something there and I would never get to see it LOL. anyway just go for it, people wont bite and the worst they will say is no, you just thank them for their time and move to the next one.

Hope this helps ya, gl and hh and welcome from Ohio!!!

I avoid business cards and waivers, tends to scare off property owners (they've mentioned other detectorists who've done this). Just be polite and offer a short introduction. I've hunted dozens of yards and rarely get turned away.

Yes sir Ohiodigger, gun shy is exactly right.

Seems like what not to say is just as important what to say, I see the light. Y'all make it sound easy. I'm always open to suggestions, more thanks are in order.

Asking permission,

Hi,
Thank`s for all the great information,esp for a newie like me, actually i have had a ald come to me asking if I would like to go over his property with my MD and this sounds very cool its where an old dance hall used to be, there may be something cool or a pile of nails..lol
Again thank`s
Miramichier in The Great White North

Hello, another Texan on board.
I'm just getting started with this MD hobby using my Garrett Ace 400 and am wondering, what should you say to a property owner to get permission to search and dig on his property? My people skills are kinda weak:roll:.

Also, if asked, would you share the 'treasure' or move on?

Thanks, gundriller, retired 4/2016

I wouldn't use the word dig and what you should say depends a lot on whether you have already retrieved the 'treasure' before you asked for permission! :)

Mind if I metal detect on your property comes to mind.
Welcome and thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom