RIP Greg Lake

I was a big King Crimson fan, ELP and Yes were two of my most favorite of the supergroups.
I have several ELP albums...and I am talking vinyl.

Still own this seminal album too...In the Court of the Crimson King.

In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_Anniversary_Box_Set_-_Front_cover.jpeg.jpeg

ELP came here in the 1977 and toured across the country and Canada with a full American orchestra...from the east coast to the west.
Sold out most of them, too.
That one I missed.
When they got to California, they finally figured out that the cost of moving all that equipment and paying all those people left very little profit for the tour...as a matter of fact it almost bankrupted the band so the band decided to replay almost every concert at all the exact same venues and tour right back across the country from west to east, but this time with only the band...no orchestra.
Sold most of those out, too
That's the one we managed to get tickets for.
I went with 2 other friends to that one and we were running late for some reason.
We parked at about the exact time the concert was supposed to start.
We ran all the way to the front gate, showed our tickets and ran again to our entry point into the huge auditorium at Cobo Hall in Detroit and I could see all the lights were already turned out...just as we got 20 feet from the entrance I heard those first few organ notes and then..."Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends...."
Just in time for only one of the greatest concerts with some of the greatest musicians, ever!

RIP Greg...you made memories for me that will never be forgotten.

Man this is so weird . Me and a guy was working yesterday and he asked who was playing the song on the radio , I said ELP . Digger, I saw them that year you are talking about , without the Orchestra . Anyway , while we were talking , I told him I saw them back in the day . Then he asked me who I thought was going to be the next old rock legend guy to pass away . This was not my pick .
RIP , the music lives on .

Back
Top Bottom