Pro Football Officiating

GeneralQuarters

Elite Member
Have the calls of referees gotten more inaccurate in the last few years or just my imagination? It seems since the strike some years ago, the errors have increased. Maybe rule changes have something to do with it. Am I crazy? Please help!

Well, people are human and mistakes will happen, but that is what instant replay is supposed to correct.

What I wonder is why are there some plays that are not allowed to be challenged or reviewed, like the Monday night game where the player was called stepping out of bounds on his way to what should have been a touchdown, and the replay showed he didn't step out of bounds, but for some reason they said that play was unreviewable.

Why not have it so any potential mistake can be corrected ?

I think that any play ruled incorrectly dead cannot be restarted, because players that hear the whistle must stop to avoid penalties.

-- Tom

I can understand an occasional missed or incorrect call from time to time but the dang rule book has become so complicated lately I'm not never sure what a catch is anymore.

Bad call!!!! Did you catch the Bills and the Seahawks game? Richard Sherman's roughing the kicker. And the taunting call. Man Did the Bills get screwed out of a win.

I think that any play ruled incorrectly dead cannot be restarted, because players that hear the whistle must stop to avoid penalties.

-- Tom

I understand what you're saying, but it would be nice if they could just throw a flag but let a play finish out first then decide if the flag can be upheld by instant replay, that way teams would not get cheated out of what sometimes might be a touchdown that could change the outcome of a game.

Never had that problem back in the day. Put skirts on them and let them play. Football has become all about the money. You get paid the money your contract says you get win or lose. Would I care if I win or lose. No.

Never had that problem back in the day. Put skirts on them and let them play. Football has become all about the money. You get paid the money your contract says you get win or lose. Would I care if I win or lose. No.

Yea, the Jack Lamberts and Rosie Greers back in the old days would be shaking their heads wondering how the game has changed. It really hit me after watching the Houston Oakland game in Mexico City. Thats why I posted.

Yea, the Jack Lamberts and Rosie Greers back in the old days would be shaking their heads wondering how the game has changed. It really hit me after watching the Houston Oakland game in Mexico City. Thats why I posted.

I almost want to say the NFL is fixed. Like last years super bowl. Peyton manning last year of playing the sport goes and beats the number 1 football team.

I almost want to say the NFL is fixed. Like last years super bowl. Peyton manning last year of playing the sport goes and beats the number 1 football team.

I believe the NFL has an agenda and would like to see certain games go one way or the other but "fixed" I don't think so. The Denver defense deserves ALL the credit for that superbowl win.

I believe the NFL has an agenda and would like to see certain games go one way or the other but "fixed" I don't think so. The Denver defense deserves ALL the credit for that superbowl win.

I could be wrong, but I get that impression also, their bottom line is making money and it would seem the NFL would prefer teams in the big market areas to win and move on to the playoffs and superbowl.

Besides two NFL teams that I root for (first for one from the town I grew up in, secondly for the one from the general area we live now) after those two teams I usually tend to root for the underdogs, unless they are playing my two teams or could affect my teams standing in their respective divisions.

The poor officiating is a huge problem. To set the ship to right again, they need to do the following things:

1) Train the officials better.
2) Get rid of instant replay.
3) Get rid of Thursday Night Football.
4) Get rid of Monday Night Football.

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing - especially when that too much is generally a bad product. For the most part, the Monday and Thursday night match ups are between terrible teams that there is no real reason to watch.

As far as instant replay goes - I can understand the need for it, but, it adds so much time to the games. They have to review all scoring plays. Review fumbles, etc, etc, etc. Add to it the coaches challenges. Football games are starting to take as long as baseball games.

The poor officiating is a huge problem. To set the ship to right again, they need to do the following things:

1) Train the officials better.
2) Get rid of instant replay.
3) Get rid of Thursday Night Football.
4) Get rid of Monday Night Football.

. Football games are starting to take as long as baseball games.

+1 on 1 2 and 3..........Football and baseball have one thing in common. They both fair well with advertising....The longer the game the more ads

.........They both fair well with advertising....The longer the game the more ads

Yep, the bottom line with the NFL is making money, so longer games on more days = more ads = more money !

Early Sunday games, afternoon Sunday games, a game Sunday night, Monday night and Thursday night - much more advertising money than if they just played ALL the games all at the same time at 1:00PM EST on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom