Happy/Sad Belt Buckle

DoctorWhy

Hi Folks,

My friend Ed obtained a new permission on our off-the-coast Maine island. It was his first opportunity to 'solo' with a Garrett AT Pro. Within out first 15 minutes exploring a late-1700's/early-1800's cellar hole he dug up this item.

It came out of the ground shiny and silver -- no tarnish. It looks like it may have been a facade of a belt buckle. It is approximately 2" x 3". Rotating it by 180 degrees it displays either a happy face or a sad face. A really unique and mystifying item...

Any idea of its age?

Thanks!
--Bert

Attachments

• EdBeltBuckle.jpg
    EdBeltBuckle.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 226
How about ...

A pic of the back ? How it attaches to the belt and it's size ? Is it Plated brass or Plated pot metal ? Unless in was homemade or a art school project . And if it is Silver it should have a makers mark and 925 or sterling cause it doesn't look like it was made before that . From what I know , belts were thin in the years before the 60's came . Then they became wide and today they are thin again ... so I'm saying late 60's through mid 80's hippy belt buckle and until you give more for me to go on that's my guess . Woodstock

The design does seem more modern, maybe 60s/70s as Woodstock suggested. Placing a coin or object in your photo can help as a size reference.

Super cool regardless of age!

I bet that belt belonged to a father who wanted his kids to know his mood before they started bugging him for things. I might be willing to buy that off of him as my kids could use that warning as well. :cool:

BCD

A pic of the back ? How it attaches to the belt and it's size ? Is it Plated brass or Plated pot metal ? Unless in was homemade or a art school project . And if it is Silver it should have a makers mark and 925 or sterling cause it doesn't look like it was made before that . From what I know , belts were thin in the years before the 60's came . Then they became wide and today they are thin again ... so I'm saying late 60's through mid 80's hippy belt buckle and until you give more for me to go on that's my guess . Woodstock

Thank you for your insight. I'm leaning towards it being a "hippie" era piece.. I don't have it available at the moment since its in my friend's collection and he's out of town.

Here's a photo of the back side. There are three 'greenish' spots where it looks to have been soldered to a backing. The was no corrosion on the plate when dug. It came out of the ground about as clean and bright as you see it here. It is approximately 2"x4" and about the thickness of a piece of stovepipe. It appears to be embossed/stamped from a sheet of metal. I didn't see any silver markings.

Attachments

• BeltBuckleBack.jpg
    BeltBuckleBack.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 232
I'm very far from an expert on metals, but what about stainless steel? All of the stainless steel dinner knives I've been finding all over my yard also come out perfectly clean.

Kind of neat to think that the wearer could display his emotion d'jour so everybody would know his mood in advance:lol:;)

Back
Top Bottom